What to wear at a wedding?

Options
HELP!! Wife and I have been invited to her best friends wedding. Wife is the bridesmaid. What do I wear?? I don't know anyone there apart from wife, bride & groom. I don't want to look too under-dressed, as I imagine photos next to a bridesmaid might make it in the album, also not over-dressed, as I'm not in the wedding party.

My usual jeans and t shirt mentality is out of its depth here!

Replies

• simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I would say it's safe to go with dress pants, a button down shirt, tie and dress shoes. Maybe a jacket. Some things to consider: how formal the wedding is, what type of venue is it going to be held at, what time of day, what your wife's bridesmaids dress looks like.
  • damien_1981
    Options
    Being held in a golf club, no idea about bridesmaid dress yet, wedding next august. I wasn't sure on a tie or not. Someone has mentioned wearing a tie the same colour as bridesmaid dress. Is this acceptable?
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    My wife has been a part of the bridal party for four weddings. I wore either a black or charcoal suit, white shirt, and a tie that had just a hint of the color of her dress.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I suggest clothes, but I'm no expert.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Being held in a golf club, no idea about bridesmaid dress yet, wedding next august. I wasn't sure on a tie or not. Someone has mentioned wearing a tie the same colour as bridesmaid dress. Is this acceptable?

I wouldn't do that personally, if you aren't part of the wedding party you don't want to get involved on the colour matching!

Personally, I think if you are going to a wedding you should go in a suit. Doesn't have to be a bow-tie kind of suit, but definitely a suit. Leave the colour matching up to the bride.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    wear a tie - always opt for the tie. Worst case scenario with a tie? You can take it off and stuff in it a jacket pocket.

As for colour - black or charcoal are always classy, or you could go with a colour that coordinates with your shirt
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go with the exact color of the bridesmaid dress but something that is very similar in tone and color. I'm a wedding photographer and if the wedding is outside in August, don't worry about a jacket. You will die.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,896 Member
    Options
    Wear a jacket and tie - you can take them off if it's casual. But by next August you should have an idea about how formal /casual it will be.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Generally club weddings are semi-formal. That would call for a tie and jacket. Since you are not in the wedding party - it would be not be appropriate to match the color of your wife's dress.

As the wedding gets closer - you'll get more details. Don't sweat it!
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I don't know if its different when you are but here a jacket isn't really necessary for a wedding unless it is very very formal. A nice dress shirt in any colour, slacks and good shoes. Tie optional
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Please don't wear jeans and a t-shirt :smile:

My BF's Sister's Wedding is this weekend in a hotel in Downtown Atlanta. To him dressing up is kahkis and a polo. I said, "Yeah, right" when he suggested he wore just that. We've bargained and he's wearing a long sleeve dress shirt, tucked in (I got a big sad face with this one), dress pants, belt, tie and black dress shoes. I'd like him to wear a suit jacket, but I got vetoed.

I also got a fight when even though he was told that the "rehearsal dinner" was "casual" I'm still forcing him to wear nice jeans and a button up shirt with dress shoes. Casual to him is one of his gaming tees and ratty jeans. Better a bit too dressed up than look like you just got out of bed.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    3e2cc0fa-5fba-483a-ade7-69678964bbc4_zps5b620f69.jpg
  • damien_1981
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input... I'll shelve the colour matching idea :)

Good point regarding being able to take a tie off, better to have and not need than to need and not have I suppose.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    HELP!! Wife and I have been invited to her best friends wedding. Wife is the bridesmaid. What do I wear?? I don't know anyone there apart from wife, bride & groom. I don't want to look too under-dressed, as I imagine photos next to a bridesmaid might make it in the album, also not over-dressed, as I'm not in the wedding party.

My usual jeans and t shirt mentality is out of its depth here!

I was in the same boat when my wife was in a wedding. I wore a tie that matched the color of the bridesmaid dresses. The groomsmen all wore a tux, so I was not upstaging them. My suit/tie made for a great match to the wedding colors. The bride/groom also thanked me as it apparently showed my support for her being in the wedding while I was not.
  • damien_1981
    Options

haha... my divorce would quickly follow their wedding!! :noway:
  • damien_1981
    Options
    [/quote]

I was in the same boat when my wife was in a wedding. I wore a tie that matched the color of the bridesmaid dresses. The groomsmen all wore a tux, so I was not upstaging them. My suit/tie made for a great match to the wedding colors. The bride/groom also thanked me as it apparently showed my support for her being in the wedding while I was not.
    [/quote]

A different prospective!
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    That would just be awkward as I am going to the same wedding and wearing that outfit, always embarrassing when someone has the same outfit as you.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    My wife has been a part of the bridal party for four weddings. I wore either a black or charcoal suit, white shirt, and a tie that had just a hint of the color of her dress.

What he said.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Suit, tie, shirt...

I dont know what world its ok to NOT dress in at least a nice suit for a Wedding, if your wife is a bridesmaid then you will be part of the entire day, so that means make an effort. I would say a nice suit is ok, and if its a formal wedding you might consider a three piece

Unless its a REALLY formal Wedding and then it will be tails, morning suit or what ever the men of the main party are expected to wear. We hired the morning suits for the main members of our party. Why not ask your wife what the party are wearing and the formality of the day?
  • freak4iron
    freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    << get a suit!