Over Three Weeks & NO Progress...:(

Options

Replies

• jen4relient22
    Options
    i saw zero change on the scale for the first month, despite working out daily and eating 1200cals/day like MFP told me to. then i bumped up my calories to 1400 and the weight literally fell off. make sure you're eating enough, and just give it more time!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that you have a lot of high sodium days. Sodium causes water retention. For me, I'm less likely to have this issue if I drink extra water on those high days.

Have you taken measurements?
    :heart: Weight – So many things can affect weight, because of this it shouldn’t be the only way you track your progress. Things to keep in mind:
    :drinker: Always use the same scale – Different scales can show different weights. You will get the most accurate number for tracking when using the same scale.
    :drinker: Don’t move the scale – Carpet, uneven flooring, different types of flooring…can all affect the weight on the scale. So when you weigh, you want it to be approximately the same spot for the most accurate number for tracking.
    :drinker: 3500 calories – To gain 1lb of fat you need to be over maintenance by 3500 calories.
    :drinker: Muscle Repair – Muscles will hold onto water to repair, because of this it is not uncommon to see a gain for a little while after a workout. This weight comes right back off when they are done repairing.
    :drinker: Sodium – Can cause you to retain water. This can also be amplified if you don’t drink enough to flush it out of your system. This is also another reason for temporary weight gain.
    :drinker: Water – Not drinking enough water can actually cause you to retain water. Recommended amount is 8 cups or 64oz. I drink 64 oz to 128 oz of water a day. It doesn’t have to be plain water either. I like to flavor mine with crystal light or tea.
    :drinker: Time of day – Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. So for the most accurate tracking, you want to weigh at around the same time.
    :drinker: Frequency – This is up to you, but if small fluctuations bother you than only weigh once a week or less.
    :drinker: Lightest Weight – Will be naked, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom
    :drinker: Multiple times a Day – Don’t Do It. As I said before, your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. What you eat, what you’re wearing, ect will all affect weight.
    :drinker: Clothes – If you weigh with clothing on, keep in mind that the scale will show your weight plus the weight of your clothes. (Jeans are heavy)
    :drinker: TOM - A lot of women will retain water around their TOM, but its just temporary and will go away.
  • ffossjr
    Options
    Sorry, I'm a scientist and can't help but reply.

Muscle is more dense than fat.

1 lb of muscle is as heavy as 1 lb of fat,
    1 cc of fat is a much volume as 1 cc of muscle,
    but muscle, being more dense than fat, means that you can take up a smaller volume, but weigh more.

Thus, the initial comment, measure your waist, not your weight, is a good suggestion if you're gaining strength but not losing weight.
  • nicoleisme
    nicoleisme Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't know much so take my advice for what it is. First off I'd say stick with it, the results may not show for awhile but just keep going but maybe change a little. Like change up your workout (You may be working out 5-6 times a week but is it the same thing and are you not challenging yourself?).
    What's your height and weight?
    But honestly I'm curious about what other people have to say too. Because I don't know how much you weigh or how tall you are but I eat crappier than you and sometimes more but I'm losing a pound a week. Don't starve yourself is my advice too and listen to your body, eat when you're quite hungry but don't eat just because you're bored or something. Also don't underestimate calories. And count everything. Like the extra virgin oil I used today to cook hasbrowns, was around 130 calories for a tablespoon. That adds up.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses. I opened my diary to all :) Calorie goal is 1500.

I just had to look at 3 days in your diary and your problem is sodium. Progresso chicken soup 1380 mg of sodium, then adding the bagel which is another 400+ just for one or two meals.

Me thinks you should cut your sodium to 1500 per day and try and eat below 1500 on most days, you will see the scale start to move. Some people on here are not worried about sodium, my thing is why create a problem when you are young that will impact on your later years. There are lots of ways to season food: fresh lemon, Mrs. Dash, a little rice wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar (which is sodium free).

Also bread is very high in sodium, this is not to say give up, but you have to recognize if you are going to have a high sodium soup with bread, your sodium count is going to be high. Eating out and processed foods are going to impact your sodium levels.
  • Gr8ToBHealthy
    Options
    I took a look at your food diary and you are consistently over in your sugar. I would try to get your sugar number down and eat as clean as possible. No processed, high sodium, 'fillers', etc.
  • love9705
    love9705 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Hey hun,

First remember it didn't take three weeks to gain the weight. It takes time don't give up continue what you are doing and throw the scale away its the devil lol..... taking measurements is better, you maybe losing inches instead and also I peaked at your diary and you may need to watch your sodium intake. Slow and permanently gone is better than fast and temporary gone. Its a lifestyle change that will take a little while. You can and will do it!!!
  • ajharries
    ajharries Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Can't see much exercise being logged. Also, ur diet needs a lot of cleaning up, cut ur sugar intake. Fruit juices contain lots of sugars.

Most importantly though...STICK WITH IT!!!

If ur new to all this lark, there's quite a bit of stuff to lean and u may have to make several adjustments to ur regime before you see this move in the right direction.
  • nataliejulie
    Options
    So far, I've lost 10lbs in 3 weeks. I used to have such problems losing weight, no matter how much I though I was exercising and dieting enough.

Log EVERYTHING you eat. Go back into your log and try to figure out what's adding unnecessary calories, fat, or sugar to your diet.

Also, when you're exercising, keep an eye on your heart rate. The intensity of your workouts might not be enough for you to be working the calories off.
    Light exercise intensity: 40 to 50 percent of your maximum heart rate. Moderate exercise intensity: 50 to 70 percent of your maximum heart rate. Vigorous exercise intensity: 70 to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate.

I was walking for a half hour every day. It wasn't enough. I went on the treadmill and slowly went faster and faster. I speed walk for 5 minutes, then do a light run for 5 minutes, then speed, etc. I have to keep my heart rate up and do more intensity for my workout.

As soon as I did this, the weight started melting off.

I wish you luck!
  • sarahsmile2300
    Options
    working out 5-6 times a week is gonna build muscle, remember muscle is heavier than fat. Try measuring instead of weighing.

^^This! It took me a good month to lose 1 pound when I first started, but after that it was pretty smooth sailing! Just keep moving forward and inches are just as important as pounds! :):):)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    working out 5-6 times a week is gonna build muscle, remember muscle is heavier than fat. Try measuring instead of weighing.

^^This! It took me a good month to lose 1 pound when I first started, but after that it was pretty smooth sailing! Just keep moving forward and inches are just as important as pounds! :):):)

John-Krasinski-no.gif

Maybe some noob gains, but they are very little. When you start a new workout regimen or increase the intensity of one your body will retain water for muscle repair until it adapts. Also weight lifting doesn't "build" muscle mass, it maintains it. So, when you weightlift in a deficit to lose weight, the weight comes off slower because you're losing mostly fat while maintaining LBM.
  • edreyrey
    Options
    Hey hun,

First remember it didn't take three weeks to gain the weight. It takes time don't give up continue what you are doing and throw the scale away its the devil lol..... taking measurements is better, you maybe losing inches instead and also I peaked at your diary and you may need to watch your sodium intake. Slow and permanently gone is better than fast and temporary gone. Its a lifestyle change that will take a little while. You can and will do it!!!

^This^ If getting fit were easy, everyone would be fit and healthy! DONT EVER GIVE UP!
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and would suggest you use the Keto Calculator (on line) and reset your diet parameters. the things you 're doing that I avoid include:
    - carb count over 100 grams per day, take to 50 or less if you can but certainly under 100.
    - diet includes fruit juices, grains, fruit,
    - lots of sodium some days.

change your MFP to count fiber (drop sugar). since sugar is a carb anyway you don't need to count both. measure your net grams of carbs, (carbs minus fiber grams) and keep under 50 per day. avoid bread, grain, starchy vegetables, sugar, liquor, etc.

try that for a couple of weeks. the carbs are causing you to retain water. drop the carbs and you'll lose some of the water. I'm not a big worrier over salt but 2500 grams of sodium should be enough. you might want to watch that one.

bug me if you don't see progress in a week. thanks. good luck I'll look at the diary again and see what I see. but no bread, no fruit, no juice, no sugar,, no rice. cut the carbs.
  • Tashia_HH
    Tashia_HH Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    How sure are you that you're calculating food properly? Do you weigh it on a food scale? That really helps.

Also, are you remembering to add in all the little calories throughout the day? Things like creamer in coffee, ketchup, etc.? Those little amounts can really add up.

^^^This is why I measure and weigh EVERYTHING. All that stuff adds up.
  • raichhype
    raichhype Posts: 74 Member
    Options

No.

Or you could try explaining why I'm wrong instead of being hella rude. Geez.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    What am I doing WRONG? I work out 5-6 days a week (kids' schedules sometimes throws me off, but not a lot) including Combat, running/walking and a weight lifting class. I calculate all my food properly, I take vitamins, I drink my water, laid off the heavy snacking, I mean I'm human, but nothing outrageous to keep me from losing not one single pound in over 3 weeks Ugh! This is why people get frustrated and give up!

My advice is forget about the whole argument about 1lb of fat n muscle stuff, it goes on and on.

The important thing is that you want to lose weight. I took a check back over your diary for maybe 4 or 5 days.

What I noticed is...that you don`t log everything, it looks like you are either
    a. not logging stuff
    b. over on sodium
    c.not being totally true to yourself

It really is a hard thing to lose weight, so much easier to put it on :noway:

IMO you have to be totally honest with yourself. Use your diary to log everything, look at the foods you have been eating, if you are not losing weight....sodium looks a big part.

What helped me at the start was planning my day the night before and sticking to it. When I exercised then I added more food as the day went on.

This site works for most people, just stick with it x
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

No.

Some people are just rude. What I think they are trying to say is 1lb of fat weighs exactly the same as 1lb of muscle, Basically a 1lb is a 1lb.

Muscle and fat take up different parts in your body.

Google is a good friend x

eta typo
  • danielrh66
    danielrh66 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and would suggest you use the Keto Calculator (on line) and reset your diet parameters. the things you 're doing that I avoid include:
    - carb count over 100 grams per day, take to 50 or less if you can but certainly under 100.
    - diet includes fruit juices, grains, fruit,
    - lots of sodium some days.

change your MFP to count fiber (drop sugar). since sugar is a carb anyway you don't need to count both. measure your net grams of carbs, (carbs minus fiber grams) and keep under 50 per day. avoid bread, grain, starchy vegetables, sugar, liquor, etc.

try that for a couple of weeks. the carbs are causing you to retain water. drop the carbs and you'll lose some of the water. I'm not a big worrier over salt but 2500 grams of sodium should be enough. you might want to watch that one.

bug me if you don't see progress in a week. thanks. good luck I'll look at the diary again and see what I see. but no bread, no fruit, no juice, no sugar,, no rice. cut the carbs.

I totally agree with this assessment. Your body is living on the carbs you are taking in and you need to get your body to start using fat as an energy source. Maintain the caloric deficiency and get your calories from animal fats, especially cold water fish, but any meat is great, and monounsaturated fats, like olive oil. Try to avoid the vegetable oils. Give it more time and don't give up.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

No.

Some people are just rude. What I think they are trying to say is 1lb of fat weighs exactly the same as 1lb of muscle, Basically a 1lb is a 1lb.

Muscle and fat take up different parts in your body.

Google is a good friend x

eta typo

No....

The OP stated they haven't lost weight in over 3 weeks. A woman pro-body builder can maybe put on 1/2 a pound of muscle on in that time......maybe. Muscle isn't packed on that easy to put a person, especially a female, into a scale halting state, especially when 90% of the exercising the OP is doing is cardio, and.....in a caloric deficit.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    is this a joke? It takes more than three weeks. This is a LIFE change.

What's the hurry? Today is a new day... so is tomorrow. And the next.