2260 ... whaaaaaaat?

Options
XianC
XianC Posts: 93
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
So um, I entered all of my info into my profile when I started up yesterday. I plan on starting tracking today once I wake up (I'm still 3 hours away from the end of an overnight shift). But in looking at my targets, I see that MFP has calculated that I should eat 2260 calories a day! That sounds like way crazy a lot of ton. I get that I'm a large man. I'm starting out at 370 (at 6'1"). I guess I expected it to be more in the 1600-1800 range.

Can someone tell me if I broke my internet and it's just showing weird numbers or if that's actually my recommended target?

Replies

• candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    Nope that sounds spot on.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Well my husband uses MFP as well and his information:

6'
    194lbs
    MFP Goal: 1890 + exercise calories (fitbit adjustments)

He has been averaging close to 2lbs per week loss. He has been re-adjusting his goal every 10lbs lost to help maintain the same deficit.

So honestly that goal, sounds about right.
  • Reevesy07
    Options
    Its probably close. I'm 6"3 230lbs and I am losing weight at 3200 calories (so far). I suggest keep on track 100% for two weeks and see what your weight does. Drop it by 200 calories if you haven't lost any weight.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right to me. I started at 333 pounds I'm 5 11 and my calories were 1840. It worked for me
  • SHRINKINGG1
    SHRINKINGG1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    So um, I entered all of my info into my profile when I started up yesterday. I plan on starting tracking today once I wake up (I'm still 3 hours away from the end of an overnight shift). But in looking at my targets, I see that MFP has calculated that I should eat 2260 calories a day! That sounds like way crazy a lot of ton. I get that I'm a large man. I'm starting out at 370 (at 6'1"). I guess I expected it to be more in the 1600-1800 range.

Can someone tell me if I broke my internet and it's just showing weird numbers or if that's actually my recommended target?

That sounds right. You can look up TDEE calculators to double check. They use different formulas bit should be close.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    That sounds ok to me. I'm a 5'6'' woman who weighs in at around 190lbs and I'm losing at around 1600-1700kcal.
  • SherbAliciouS
    SherbAliciouS Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That sounds right. Keep in mind that as you lose weight MFP will update and subtract your daily calorie intake. You must make sure to update your weight for your check-ins, and for me, about every 10 lbs of loss, they notify me that my intake has changed, due to my weight loss. At that point you can tell them no, or you can choose to go ahead and go with their recommendation. Also, it does depend on how much weight you said you were aiming to lose per week...from half a pound up to two pounds. You will not be staying on the calorie count that you have been given, to start with, unless you either do not lose weight, or do not update your weight loss in your profile.
    Hope that helps.
  • XianC
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback. I suppose I just had it in my mind that in order to lose weight, I was going to have to be at like 1200 calories for the rest of my life (although I figured, as I mentioned before, that it'd be higher at first). I just never realized it would be that high.

This will be interesting. Thanks again for all of the perspectives. You guys rock.
  • XianC
    Options
    One day, I'm gonna come back and read this thread and understand what you just said to me.
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    Yep - reality is that you don't need to walk around starving all day to lose weight. I hope that keeps you incentivised!
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Lol, yes that sounds good! Try it for a few weeks and adjust if necessary :) Soon it will all make sense!!! ;)
  • XianC
    Options
    Oh, damn, I knew that once. Thanks for the reminder. With a BMR that high then, I can see why my intake is so high.

Now to work on selecting the RIGHT foods. Somehow I don't think I'll have much success if I eat 2200 calories worth of McDonalds every day.
  • namitchell04
    Options

I felt the same when I started and sat re-entering my details, sure I'd find an error I'd made!
    It does sound a lot if you are expecting to be at the 1600 mark but once you log and weigh/measure everything it can be easier to get to that amount of intake than you first think (made me shudder to think what my intake was before I started being sensible!)

You'll find it will gradually head down as you loose weight but I still can't see it getting to much below 1800 given your height.
    I wish you the best of success!
  • LazyGuy91
    LazyGuy91 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    When I started out, I weighed a little less than you and it had me at 2180 (I think). Since losing some weight, I've lowered it to 1800.

I can't remember if that's higher or lower from what MFP suggested, but it's a goal and it seems to be working so far.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
  • mikej1978
    mikej1978 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback. I suppose I just had it in my mind that in order to lose weight, I was going to have to be at like 1200 calories for the rest of my life (although I figured, as I mentioned before, that it'd be higher at first). I just never realized it would be that high.

This will be interesting. Thanks again for all of the perspectives. You guys rock.

I started at 278 (6'1) I went pretty dramatic and cut my calories to 1200. In the first month I am down 20 pounds. I work out 6 days a week and do not eat back my calories. Alot of people will say its crazy not eating back calories but the fact of the matter is more calories burnt then taken in = weight loss. My thing is if it works for these people that get surgery and dont eat more than 1000 calories and lose 80-100 pounds why not me?
This discussion has been closed.