First 5k

Options
13»

Replies

• CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    You all are so inspiring!(Seriously, I love reading this stuff)

I just started running this week(more like powerwalking. I signed up to run a 5k in February and the slowest you can go is a 17:10 pace and you have an hour to get done. I tried the first workout on the Couch-to-5k app lastnight, got about 12 minutes in, and then my calves locked up. I stopped for a minute and then walked fast for another 25 minutes instead. I am severely out of shape but I am already starting to change that. :)

Do you guys have any tips or advice?

My advice.... RUN SLOW, even if you're just shuffling.

I speak from experience, I started couch to 5k SEVEN times and never got past week 3. I started it for the last time in August, and I graduated last week. The difference was I had some hills in my neighborhood that I had to take slow and I realized when I ran slow, I wasn't dying.

I'm now running 30 minutes 3-4 times a week with a 5 minute walk before and after (total 40 minutes). I believe that I'm going to do start making one of my runs a distance run and increase by 10% distance every week and if thats too much i'll stay put and when I'm ready, I'll increase by 5%. Ive also started throwing in a couple short sprints towards the end of my run. Today's run had the following stats, I use Nike Run;

Fastest 5k 37.50
    Fastest mile 11:25
    Fastest 1k 6:48
    Farthest run 3.24 miles

I realize this isn't hugely fast but for me it is. I started running August 24, I love running, and I've come so far.

You can do it!
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    My first running 5k is October 22.

I'm hoping to do a 5 mile turkey trot on Thanksgiving and a half marathon on May 4, 2014. I'm going to do more 5k's and a 10k in the new year, just haven't found one yet.
  • Mavalicous
    Mavalicous Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    So I decided I was going to run my first 5k this morning. So last night my daughter and I went out and drove the route to calculate the route I would need to take to complete it. I just finished it a little while ago!! I did stop twice at about 2.25m and the 2.5 m mark but I managed to finish my run at almost 28 minutes on the dot!!

I am so freaking excited I think I texted all my family/friends, posted it on facebook and now here!!! haha

I can't wait to run in a timed event!!
  • Dancesintherain75
    Options
    Congrats! It really is an awesome feeling. I started running in May of this year and now I'm totally hooked. I run 5k 3 times a week now working on improving time etc... but will be running my first actual 5k race this coming Saturday. Once I've got that under my belt... 10k it is!
  • Mavalicous
    Mavalicous Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    how bout this for an encore!! I just finished my afternoon jog. I knew I ddint wanna stop this time and I also had my son Stephen on his "formula schwinn" pace bike cheering me on..lol I DIDN'T stop and I finished this 5k at 26.5 minutes! Before anyone says I'm over doing it. I was a little tired initially but hand on the bible the last mile was easier than the first mile. My legs felt like they were on auotomatic and just kept going, I was just trying to make the rest of my body keep up with them...lol
  • jaysull21
    Options
    Congrats to the OP and all others who are about to do their first or have done their first 5k race recently.

Once you start, you may not want to stop. When I could finally RUN my first 5k this year, It just got me started doing all kinds of races. I have done four 5ks since, and now a 10K and HM.

We never know what we're truly capable of until we try it! :happy:
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Congratulations that's awesome I want to be able to 5k as well. At the moment I am having really bad problems with getting stitches. The furtherest Ive ran is 1.6k at the moment but occasionaly I barely get to 1k without having to stop from the pain. Can you help me out? I try not to eat or drink before hand maybe I'm not breathing right???

Maybe you're dehydrated? You need to drink properly all the time so you are always hydrated rather than just loading up with water an hour before you go out running. Drink plenty all day long and you'll feel better for it, I promise.

If you feel a stitch coming on, make sure as you inhale, you draw it right down so your stomach goes out rather than your chest going out. Keep doing those big deep breaths, extending your stomach with each one and eventually they should ease. I found 4 or 5 was enough to at least ease it then after a couple more you realise it's gone. Good luck! :)
  • Nyksta
    Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Well done you! (And everyone else who has posted - haven't read through all the replies) :).

I'm planning on running my first 5K next week when I'm at my FILs (who lives in beautiful seaside town) - hoping the lovely scenery will be a good advantage to me rather than the grotty London streets I'm used to lol.

Until then I'm just about to head off on my 3rd 2.75 mile run.

Nyk
  • RunnerJones
    RunnerJones Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Thank you. I'm having the weekend off firstly as I've had, not shin splints, but aches in my shins so ill see how I am Monday. I want to run 10 miles per week until Xmas including one 5k in that. Then start thinking about a 10k in January and I'd like to complete a half marathon in 2014. I think that's quite a realistic target would you agree?

What level are you at?

Hope your shin pain is nothing serious. A half in 2014 is a very realistic goal, but I'd recommend increasing your weekly mileage gradually from 10 to at least 20 per week. You really want to get to the point where 5+ mile runs aren't that hard anymore, and that's only going to come with more mileage. Best of luck to you, and keep aiming higher! With proper training, even marathons aren't that hard!
  • ellybeann
    ellybeann Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!!!

My first 5k was the Color Me Rad in Virginia Beach Va, this past summer, I have found running very addictive in a good way. Im running a 8k in December, the Christmas Town Dash.

Good Luck and Keep Running!!!
  • ellybeann
    ellybeann Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I was getting pains in my shins (shin splints IDK) and calves and a friend told me that comprression socks helped them with shin splints. So I got some and I see a difference, I'll wear them like every other run. They can be expensive but I found them for $20 on nomorerack.com

Good Luck and Keep Moving!!
  • Cruxthemystic
    Cruxthemystic Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a zombie run next week. I'm going to be a zombie, brains. lol I've done 4 5k runs in the last year and won a couple of medals. Would of never thought it being when I started I could hardly walk a mile much less run it. I want to do a 10k before my next birthday in April. I'll be 57. So it's never too late to start. Just get out there and do it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!