What's the dumbest thinspo quote you've heard?

Options
13»

Replies

• wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Everyone should chill out. We can't protect everyone who has ever had a challenging issue from everything. Some people have lost loved ones. should we never post about our families? Some people are stalled in their weight loss for whatever reason. Maybe we should stop posting our success stories so we don't offend anyone! Some people are struggling with sugar addictions. Should we never talk about that too?

27508099.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I would hardly compare someone with a life threatening mental illness with people who are stalled in their weight loss in terms of how "triggering" an image can be.

And some people will jump at the chance to be offended by anything at all.

In the sense that the poster used the reference, it is an acceptable comparison. Relax.

Not offended, just concerned. But I am obviously in the minority here.

The fact of the matter is, you can't hide from everything. Do you think I troll the thinspo posts on Tumblr? No. Do they still show up? Yes. Would I love to be that thin? Yes. Am I going to let a picture dictate my health? No. I realize that I may come off as insensitive, especially because not everyone who recovers can get to a point where they accept that there will always be someone thinner, and that's okay. Or to a point where they realize that they don't have to be underweight to be beautiful. But if I couldn't laugh at it, and laugh at myself, do you know where I'd be? Back on my thinspo blog, or in the doctor's office getting my prescription for Adderall again, or locked in a bathroom. Sometimes you have to take a laugh where you can instead of breaking down.

I hear what you're saying. I agree we need to take responsibility for ourselves, and I think it's awesome that you can make fun of these now. I guess they just strike me as really sad. But I can also take responsibility for myself and stay out of it if I feel that way. It's just not my first instinct. :flowerforyou:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Risqué photographs sent via PM to all. I didn't want to have to do that, but you made me.

Also,

"Food will only bring temporary satisfaction."

Extremely twisted approach. Implies that not eating will bring lasting satisfaction. It's like saying that breathing only brings temporary satisfaction.

UGHHHH I HAVE TO BREATHE LIKE ALL THE TIME. the only ones that are satisfying are like... right after a break. Like when im underwater and I bust out of the surface of the water like Ariel and suck in deep gulps - seriously so much work to make breathing really satisfying.
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options
    I saw one that said something like hunger hurts but starving works.

It's really sad that someone would actually think like that. :frown:

This, and now I have Fiona Apple stuck in my head
  • yoovie
    Options

You're not alone in that. I'm not offended either, but it seems odd to say something like 'what's the stupidest thing you've heard someone say who has this debilitating mental illness?'

Almost like you are making fun of people who are still struggling with the illness. And maybe it's that repeating all this garbage just gives it more of a voice anyway.

kind of - but i see it as - 'what is the stupidest picture you've ever seen a teenage girl post on the interwebs about a debilitating mental illness that she wishes she actually had'?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I don't look at thinspo. Maybe I've seen something, but I don't retain that info.
  • yoovie
    Options

You're not alone in that. I'm not offended either, but it seems odd to say something like 'what's the stupidest thing you've heard someone say who has this debilitating mental illness?'

Almost like you are making fun of people who are still struggling with the illness. And maybe it's that repeating all this garbage just gives it more of a voice anyway.

kind of - but i see it as - 'what is the stupidest picture you've ever seen a teenage girl post on the interwebs about a debilitating mental illness that she wishes she actually had'?

I guess I can't really differentiate between the ones that are 'pretending' to be sick and the ones that are actually sick... it seems dismissive of the severity of the illness.

I keep thinking, if my daughter grew up and posted quotes like this on the internet, I would be horrified and concerned. At the worst she would have a full-blown eating disorder. At the least, her self-image would be tangled up in wrong-headed thinking that could end up physically hurting her growing body. I can't laugh at that.

teenagers are all twisted about who they are anyway. they have to find their own way. the hard way. all of them.

so they can grow up and be all of us.

just try and make sure that she understands a healthy self image and you wont have to worry about that.
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    It's not a specific 'thing' but deifying anorexia as "Anna" as if an eating disorder is an encouraging friend or sexy demigod-ideal gives me the chills.

Also, those beautiful moments when one of my more misguided friends implies or outright says fat people can't be pretty, or referring to a coworker as admiring herself in the mirror and saying "She's not all that; she's chubby. I don't see what she sees in there."

I've done little research on this but what I learned is ''Anna'' can be used in many ways. It's not just an ''encouraging friend''. It can be used as an enemy as well.
This discussion has been closed.