"You're still fat"

Options

Replies

• aimeev2
    aimeev2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Big congrats on getting to 4 miles! No matter your weight, you are working toward and achieving your goals, which is amazing!
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I am going to take down that quote and use it as well. So many people feel it's ok to be cruel, even a lot of people here on MFP and this thread is a great reminder that there are a lot of positive, hard working and well meaning people and I get a lot of inspiration from that.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    You can and will lose the weight. Those little girls unfortunately for them have ugly in their hearts. They obviously have some shadows in their closet otherwise they wouldnt have insulted you like that. Feel sorry for them. I do they sound really sad on the inside and thats worse than extra pounds.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    You won't always be fat, you're seeing to that. But, they will likely always be b****es. So be it.
  • stlbluefansarah
    stlbluefansarah Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    And this is why we MFP... Look at all of these awesome motivational comments! And, they all apply to every one of us! Any time any of us are starting to feel hopeless, we need to look back at threads like this. Reading just a few of these comments is enough to light a fire back under us!!

Awesome job, everyone!!
  • Rayanne203
    Rayanne203 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yes hun,

Words are a very powerful thing. I am so happy to hear that you were able to take what those rude biatches said in stride! I also want to say thank you for posting this because I am sure similar things have happened to many and it is always nice to know your not alone. 15 pounds is a huge loss! You will be at your goal before you know it!
  • robinb07
    robinb07 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry that this happened to you. I remember as a young girl (I have always been overweight) I was walking home from school and a car full of what I assume were high school boys pulled up and made similar comments to me. I was crushed and I will probably always remember that feeling. In this case, I would probably take comfort in knowing that those girls will always be stupid bi*ches but you, my dear, are taking the steps you need to take to be the best you that you can.
  • yeldarb101
    Options
    That is what I try to do, but people just bring me down, including my aunt and grandma!:frown:
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Oh people are so unhappy that sometimes they just need to bring those around them down a peg too. Your doing amazing things for yourself. You have to learn to shrug it off, Hell I need to learn that too lol :) They are pathetic, and you don't need to give them a second thought. Keep up the great work, and hold your head high. :flowerforyou:
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have to share something that I have kept secret for a few days.
    For the first time last friday, I actually got to the 4 mile mark during my walk. This was a huge, huge, huge accomplishment for me. All of my MFP friends know that I am about 100 pounds over- weight, but I have been working very hard and I am dedicated to being a better me. I am down 15 pounds and will probably hit 16 this week. With that said, I was at the end of my walk last Friday and I turned around to head back home. I came to a stop light. While at the stop light, I didn’t want my heart rate to drop, so I did a slow jog. I am not the most graceful person and I know that I am a sight to see when trying to run. But I was doing my best and I was proud of myself. While I was waiting at the light, a car full of cute “skinny” girls pulled up to the stop light. They rolled the windows down and made an effort to make sure I knew they were laughing at me. When the light turned green and they began to drive off, the person closest to me yelled, “You’re still fat”. I immediately stopped in my tracks and slumped over in sadness. How could people that I don’t even know steal my joy? How could people that I don’t even know be so cruel? Why did they even care? Why make the effort to go out of their way to be hurtful? I just don’t understand. This incident didn’t deter me. I am still just as focused on my goals as ever. But I can’t deny that it had an effect on me. When I got home and looked in the mirror, I said to myself, “you ARE still fat”. Sometimes the truth hurts. I obviously have a weight problem. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be doing this. But it is amazing how words either positive or negative can change your outlook. I don’t know what my point is here. I just want everyone to know that when you say “good job” or “you can do it”, it means more to me than you will ever know. Words are powerful. I won’t drop a bunch of cliché’s and antidotes in this situation because you probably have heard them all. I wasn’t even going to mention this to my MFP community, but I decided that getting it out would allow me to move on. I found a great quote. See below and be nice to each other. =0)

“Dwelling on the negative simply contributes to its power.” ~Shirley MacLaine

Don't you worry, stay positive and keep at your goals :)

They were just heartless b!tches.

Those 'skinny' girls for the most part WILL NOT BE SKINNY LATER IN LIFE.

Koing
  • mi18agnes
    Options
    So proud of you! Keep your head high!
    Congrats on the 5 miles :)

Keep on going we are all here watching you!
  • AbFabKat
    AbFabKat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    People that behave that way are small minded, insecure and unhappy to the core. They need to put other people down to lift themselves up. It's honestly so pathetic!

You keep it up! You're doing great!
  • CaliopeCupcake
    Options
    +1

KEEP YOUR MIND ON YOUR GOALS. SUCCESS IS THE BEST REVENGE. AFTER READING ALL THE POSITIVE FEEDBACK HERE, FORGET ABOUT THAT AND DON'T TALK ABOUT IT AGAIN TO YOURSELF. REHEARSING IT GIVES IT ROOTS AND CREDIBILITY, AND IT'S A LIE! YOU GO GIRL! SAY TO YOURSELF, I WILL GET THERE.
  • mdj68
    mdj68 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Try not to take it personally - it is their issue. And as I always tell myself with every positive effort - you are getting healthier. And 15 pounds is amazing. Keep up the great work!
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    "And they are still mean low life."
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I say use this experience. Dwell on it...

People are hurtful, that is true, but if you can find a way to use this as motivation I would.

I have some things that people have said to me that were not nice and I use them as a reminder of why I am doing this and why this is important. I try to channel those thoughts into aggression that I use when I can't finish the last 30s of a run or do another push up. I look in the mirror and remind myself that regardless of the compliment I just got, it's only relevant to how bad I used to look. Sure I look better now, but I have a long way to go and I can't give up

I think every day of how I felt when some boys at the beach were calling me out for being fat, and my 10 year old daughter heard them. I remember thinking how that made me feel... but now I think of how it must have made her feel and I get angry. Angry at myself for putting her in that awkward position. It was my fault and that won't happen to her again. She's going to be proud to be around me.

I ~hate~ the guy I was 40 pounds ago, and I still don't like the guy that I am now. Some will see that as negativity or self loathing, but I was content to be this way for so long and I won't be content any more.

Use it.
  • skyebare
    Options
    That is awesome! Hitting 4 miles I mean.. not the rude little girls. People can be very cruel, I was teased, beaten up, humiliated, and down grated so much all through my teen years not for my weight, but for being different. For being a "nerd"... It changed everything about me. Before high school I was confident in who I was and kind to everyone, but after 3 years of relentless teasing and verbal abuse I became mean and hateful. I would have such bad anxiety attacks that I couldn't eat or do anything but sleep and cry for days. I tried to end my life, which i know sounds cliche as a teen in high school, but i literally didn't want to live anymore. The nurse who was taking care of me, really helped me to have a different outlook on life. So I picked myself up graduated at 16, went to military school, and then joined the Army. I vowed I would never let anyone hurt me that way again, or let their words affect the outcome of my life. Even though that was a really low time in my life, it definitely helped me to become a more confident, strong willed, heard head woman that I am today. It some times causes issues in relationships.. not just with significant other, but in friendships and at work, but I am happy and so is my son and that's what matters.

Point to all that is, grow from it. Take their words, accept it, and then make them eat them! Prove them wrong! and just because they are skinny, does NOT make them better than you. Your kind heart, and will to make a change for yourself makes you WAY better than they are!
  • CarolDoodle
    CarolDoodle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I see you received some good responses. I have to agree with the statement that you cannot allow those girls or anyone else to steal your joy. You are in control of how you chose to think about yourself so don't give that away to anyone else because they cannot be trusted. Although I struggle with a small amount of weight compared to what you are trying to accomplish, I do have to tell you that I have lost and regained 100 pounds twice in my life. Luckily I think that HUGE weight swing is in my rear view mirror and now it is a more manageable amount (in theory only, I am still really struggling). Anyway, when you said that 4 miles was HUGE, you were correct. It really is HUGE. As a matter of fact it is more than HUGE, it is life saving! How you think about yourself, your weight, your efforts, your trials, your success, your failures, your "oops", and everything else is within your control. You have everything it takes to become a more healthy, fit person. The way those girls reacted is their problem and one day they will feel shameful for it. Keep moving!
  • lovemykids58
    lovemykids58 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Karma has a funny way of working these things out. All the pretty, skinny girls that used to taunt me in junior high are now fat women with fat little kids. I wouldn't wish weight issues on anyone, especially a child, but when I see those mean girls schlepping around with their obese children, I have to wonder if they remember how terribly they treated girls that look just like their own kids, and can only hope they've learned how to be nice to someone regardless of their weight.

I'm proud of you for working through the shame those strangers hurled at you. Keep up the good work!

I couldn't have said this better myself! This to the 10000th %. They should have said "GOOD FOR YOU!" becuase one day, they or their children may be where you are and they will look back at that moment and feel like an awful person. BUT *YOU* will be happy, fit and healthy :flowerforyou: :drinker: