Cereal! Low sugar types? Please help!

Options
2»

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I hate sweetened cereal! Even as a kid I wanted cereal that wasn't sweet. I miss Cheerios, now that I have to be gluten free, when I get the urge for cold cereal. Corn Chex are pretty low in sugar at 3 grams per serving. Erewhon makes corn flakes with less than 1 gram of sugar per serving, but it's also low in salt and tastes like nothing at all.

Kippers, eggs, steak, and smoked salmon all make a great breakfast, but sometimes I specifically want a bowl of cereal with milk.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I love hot oatmeal (made with water or almond milk) mixed with a scoop of chocolate protein powder.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    What do you consider a lot of sugar? I eat Kashi Go Lean Crunch almost every day with unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I think the cereal has 13g of sugar, but I believe it's not processed sugar.
  • jess17587
    jess17587 Posts: 153
    Options
    What do you consider a lot of sugar? I eat Kashi Go Lean Crunch almost every day with unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I think the cereal has 13g of sugar, but I believe it's not processed sugar.
    Yea that's a good point actually what I consider high... i think a max would be 11 grams including milk but im going to finish of what's in the house first then move on to the suggestions i have been offered from here cause right now i have chocolate Weetabix which is nice a acquired taste
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Not sure what country you are in but I like the Nature's Path organic cereals. Many of them are combos of flakes with clusters...even just the flakes are usually ancient grains and very tasty. Kashi makes some great cereals as well.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with fruit, Shredded Wheat (not frosted), Bran flakes, puffed wheat, Grape-nuts Flakes... you can add pieces of fresh fruit or raisins to liven it up a bit
  • davylyn
    Options
    I have found Kashi Go Lean... 13g of protein, 9g of Fiber and 26g of Carbs but when you minus the Fiber, it brings it down to only 17g of Carbs. My nutritionist was pleased to see this in my repertoire of choices for a low carb, high protein breakfast.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i think your better off avoiding cerial altogether, its a pretty high gylcemic index food, even the 'healthy' ones.

oat meal would be a better choice
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I have found Kashi Go Lean... 13g of protein, 9g of Fiber and 26g of Carbs but when you minus the Fiber, it brings it down to only 17g of Carbs. My nutritionist was pleased to see this in my repertoire of choices for a low carb, high protein breakfast.

wow suprised it has that much protein! thats a good one, are you a diabetic? idk if its technically still the best for a diabetic
  • j_desmet
    j_desmet Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm trying only clean foods, but when I was allowing that type of food my FAVORITE is Peanut Butter whole grain cheerios and then i use ALMOND MILK. you can't even tell the difference and about half the calories!