Relationship status help/hurt your motivation

Options

Replies

• cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    It was easier to lose single, because my schedule was mine and I could plan for pitfalls.

I feel this way too. I tend to spend more time exercising and planning my workouts / food when single.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    It doesn't/didn't really have any base to help or hurt my desire. In the end it was because of health and because i wanted to be more desirable. I don't consider it having to do with relationship status though.
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    I started on this journey, single as can be with no intention of settling. Now I'm head over heels and beyond happy, he motivates me in ways that I never thought possible. Now if only I can get him to clean up after himself on a regular basis I'd be set for life ;) Lol
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    My husband is the one who got me involved in fitness to begin with, so on that note, I'd say my relationship status helped me.
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Mine definitely helps me! My boyfriend is so supportive, he always encourages and motivates me. I take him grocery shopping with me, and he helps to steer me away from temptation. We love to do outdoor things like hiking and different sports, and he is (or was) in much better shape than me (I'm catching up, now!). That serves as an awesome motivator, because I don't want to be the one slowing him down when we're hiking up a mountain!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    It has affected me in the past. I learned, and am often reminded, that we need to motivate ourselves. We can't make someone do it and they can't make us change,either. The desire to be healthy needs to come from within. Being flexible is really important to keep conflict over it at a minimum. (Most of my workouts are early morning or at lunch to avoid scheduling issues.)
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Actually, yes. When I started this, I was in a terrible relationship. Becoming stronger and more fit physically have me the confidence and strength to get out of that relationship. I've since gotten into another relationship, and while we were both at or near our goals what we started dating, we've both put on some weight and slacked in the fitness department. We both know we need to get back on track and have signed up for a Spartan to help us keep focused on the goal!
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    My last girlfriend before my current one called the gym my mistress and actively tried to stop me from going. She also wasn't big on my "boring eating." Guess how long she lasted? My current situation is completely opposite. Compatibility is the key.
  • AbFabKat
    AbFabKat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It helps me because I want to be healthy and live a high quality life as long as possible with my husband. It's also challenging because he doesn't like most veggies and *hates* beans...he eats like an 7 year old. But we work around it and he's totally supportive of the time I spend exercising and such.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    My husband is amazing in that he loves me as I am-I was a size 10 when we got married and he's never once said anything negative about my weight gain. My relationship affects my weight loss positively as I'd like to be healthy and and frankly, a trophy wife for my amazing husband. My weight loss is affected negatively as he loves me as I am and doesn't say anything one way or another about weight. He's a healthy weight, can eat anything he wants, and doesnt work out so it's harder to push myself to get to the gym.
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Essentially I would like to find a man who would work out with me and motivate me to be healthier as well.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    It has definitely helped!!! My husband is nothing but supportive; he just wants me to be happy, and if that means I want to lose weight then he's all for it. He married me when I was at my heaviest, Gawd bless him!!! I weigh myself everyday and I tell him, "0.2 lbs lost since yesterday!" or "another 0.5% body fat gone!" and he always tells me how proud he is of me and how great I'm doing. That means a lot, it truly does.

He's a chef and he's tweaked his cooking just for me. He makes sure to avoid fats and salts as much as possible, or when he does use it, he'll tell me how much so I can calculate it into the recipe. He actually gets excited about cooking new things for me, and he's even started to change his own diet. He asked for a fitbit, and he's been weighing himself everyday as well and incorporating more healthy options into his own meals.

It's great - I'm on this journey for me, of course, to better my health and to live longer - but that involves him, as well, because it will give us more time together as man and wife. :-)
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Neither. I do and have done this for me. My relationship status is irrelavant to my health and fitness goals. However if my boyfriend tried to stop/interfere he would be gone. My boyfriend is insanely supportive of me so it's not an issue. I had an ex that wasn't and he's gone.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Neither, I'm glad my wife is as supportive as she is. My shame, and desires to be alive for my kids, and look good for my spouse were what did it for me. Now that I've burned fifty, my recently recovered vanity is also on board.
  • Marsidote
    Marsidote Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My weight loss journey started because my long time bf broke up and moved out. It was the biggest factor in me wanting to get healthy and lose weight. If he didnt leave me, we would have continued drinking beer daily, eating wings and subs, etc. So for me, being single now is a huge positive factor. I have so much more time to dedicate on just me. Not to mention it will be fabulous to see his face the first time he sees me skinny :)
  • Naener
    Naener Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Up until now, ive always gained weight in relationships... BUT this is the first time ive decided to make a lifestyle change, anyone i date from now on will be conscious about the same things and will (i hope) be on the mission with me to always be working towards a better me/us.
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm single and I feel like it helps me. I can keep on a strict diet, do my own thing, go to the gym when I want. I'm thinking when I get to my goal weight I won't be single though :wink: :love:
  • tula1980
    Options
    My husband brings out the very best there is in me, regardless of challenge or goal. I've set myself a challenge, for ME (this one is all about me) and he's been nothing but helpful, supportive and quick with compliments and to notice changes. So yes, having my husband be who he is does help my motivation. But I have to say I wouldn't be married if he didn't add something to my world!
  • KisaraKaiba
    KisaraKaiba Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would say that mine helps. A lot of my weight loss has been motivated by a health condition that puts me in the position of needing to keep my weight in check or risk very serious complications that could lead to an untimely death.

I very much like being alive and my fiancé is big part of why I am so happy. I want to live for a long time - together. And that's why I do what I do.
  • AisforAmazing19
    Options
    My boyfriend talked me into signing up for my first triathlon a year earlier than planned and helped me pick out my first road bike, so I guess he's helpful...

But it's really nice to have someone to ride with, and hike with, and do outdoor type things, so the nature of our relationship, while not my reason for fitness, has done nothing but help.