Frozen Tilapia...what to do, what to do

Options

Replies

• coffee4me57
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas! I have a bag of frozen fillets in the freezer.
  • Tammy_Christopher
    Tammy_Christopher Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Bump to follow
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rainbow118
    rainbow118 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I normally pan fry mine with cooking spray, I season it with either Cajun, lemon-pepper seasoning, old bay, or I put salt pepper garlic powder on it. I either eat it like that or I break it apart and toss it with rice and veggies for a stir-fry dish. Tastes really good! Before I started my diet I would bread them and deep fry them. Tasted good also.
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • WorkingOnMe3
    Options
    *save*
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I love frozen tilapia. I always cook them in the oven in a single serve corningware dish with a 1/2 cup low sodium organic veggie broth and a dash of lemon juice. Then I add to the fish whatever spice I am in the mood for - always a bit of garlic powder and seasoning salt. Sometimes add greek spice, or lemom pepper and dill. Then I love to serve them with couscous (1/4 cup dry=150 cals), slivered toasted almonds (15 grams - 95 cals) and crumbled feta (30g = 80 cals). Tip on the couscous, make it with brother rather thank water and throw in the almonds to boil with the broth before adding the couscous. The toasted almond taste infuses into the broth making oh so rich tasting. This is about a 475 cal supper with the tilapia.
  • abbylbrown23
    abbylbrown23 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Aukeilagirl
    Aukeilagirl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • mhart72
    mhart72 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Ok i love shellfish, but am not a huge fish fan. I have started trying new foods and Tilapia is on the list of things to try. I have some frozen filets and want to make a healthy dinner with them tonight. What should I do with them?

Give them to your neighbour and buy some decent fish.
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    The only smart thing to do with Tilapia is throw it out.....I have tried many times at home and in restaurants. Always reminds me of mildew...I just can't make myself like it. I have tried Swai and that seems to be another low cost fish option I can actually tolerate.
    I buy salmon, haddock, cod, and shrimp mostly but I do like most fish so its easy for me to skirt the Tilapia craze.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I make killer Dijon fish cakes with it hubby and kids LOVE them. Look up the recipe, you won't be disappointed
  • beccamh
    beccamh Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    We put a little mayo (1/2 Tbsp per 4oz) and seasoning (cajun is our fave) on the top and bake in the oven. Comes out SO GOOD and not dry or fishy at all. Adds about 50cals/serving but totally worth it IMO since DH usually won't eat fish unless it's deep fried. :)
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Blerch.

"Tilapia raised on feces hits US tables

The garbage fish isn't picky with its eating habits. That makes it cheap to farm and buy, but a big health risk to consumers who don't check its country of origin."

"While there are some really good aquaculture ponds in Asia, in many of these ponds -- or really in most of these ponds -- it's typical to use untreated chicken manure as the primary nutrition," he told MSN News. "In some places, like Thailand for example, they will just put the chickens over the pond and they just poop right in the pond."

http://money.msn.com/now/post--tilapia-raised-on-feces-hits-us-tables
  • preciousme150
    preciousme150 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump, I just learned to love Tilapia...
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My favorite way for any white fish is to spoon some medium salsa over the top, shake some Nature's Seasoning and add 1/2 tsp butter pad over each fillet. Sometimes I squeeze a little lemon joice on them if I have the lemons. Bake 350 until done.
  • courtney_leigh09
    courtney_leigh09 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump