Does anyone have a good headache remedy?

Options
This is not really "diet and weight loss" related, but in the absence of a "health and wellbeing" section I'm posting here anyway.

I suffer from horrendous headaches that can last for 3-4 days during my TOM. For some reason painkillers just don't work for me so I don't even bother with them any more.

Does anyone have a magical solution for me?

Replies

• BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Anyone?

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I take 2 Advil and 2 Tylenol at the same time. It's OK, doc gave me permission to do that to my 1 year old (who is now 16) to bring down a fever. They are different meds. I get tension headaches so I also stretch my neck and shoulders and that seems to help.

I hope you feel better soon.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Try migraine painkillers?

Otherwise, talk to your GYN and see if he/she can help you.
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I started using the Diva Cup about 4 years ago and have virtually no symptoms most get with TOM, before and during. If you have not heard of it and have an open mind google it.
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    Consult Neurology
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Ice cold coke!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Migraine sufferer here, especially at TOM. Take Feverfew! Over 300mg, when you get the aura. It works better than Rx migraine abortives for me, and I worked with a neuro for years about my migraines.

For TOM, take Magnesium starting a day or two before. Check out the suggested mgs for headache and include your dietary sources, because that dose is kind of big.

I can't take my extra Mg anymore :( My blood pressure gets low when I do it because I'm on Propranolol for a migraine preventative (that helps!). I think my working out might have lowered my BP, but I wish I could still take my TOM Mg because it really works fr those... and for cramps.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have a nice collection of prescription painkillers from my many trips to AnE, they normally sort me out.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    That happens to me, too - I think maybe we get a little anemic during that TOM!!!! The only suggestion I have is Pamprin or Midol. Either actually DOES work - they're specifically formulated for that purpose. Also, make sure you are staying very hydrated!
  • MisterHeavyDuty
    Options
    400mg of caffeine + 650mg of aspirin + a 1-hour nap = feels like a new day when I wake up.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    This is not really "diet and weight loss" related, but in the absence of a "health and wellbeing" section I'm posting here anyway.

I suffer from horrendous headaches that can last for 3-4 days during my TOM. For some reason painkillers just don't work for me so I don't even bother with them any more.

Does anyone have a magical solution for me?

talk with your doctor. if you are taking birth control it could be from that. i typically take 2-3 advil for a headache.
  • linsdog
    linsdog Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Accupressure, sounds out there but works for me whenever I get a headache (rare).

Specifically the point Ho-ku works for me.

http://www.aurorahealthcare.org/services/headaches/tools/tools-acupressure.asp
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I'm really nor trying to be sarcastic. Pot helps me a TON during my period.
  • imakeyoukneel
    imakeyoukneel Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    ginger tea :)
  • heatherlas
    Options
    Talk to a doctor, or two. I get really bad ones during my TOM and my Obgyn told me that I could take the active pills of my birth control all year round. So I don't have a TOM anymore, which is the best thing in the world to me. Also, you might want to consult a neurologist. There are medications nowadays that are specifically for migraines. They are so much better than a handful of over the counter meds and most don't knock you out like when I used to have Demerol shots. There are also preventive medications that are out there to stop the migraines from coming at all. The world of medicine has come a long way.
  • Buckeyegirlbritt
    Options
    Green tea.
  • runningvegan
    Options
    I just take birth control pills continuously, skipping the placebo week, so that I never have a TOM.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Excedrin migraine. Or, if I have any, Fioricet with codeine (my personal fave).
  • love2lift_85
    love2lift_85 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I've had migraines for years. Typically I get them any time my hormones change... so right before period comes, and around ovulation were my most likely times to get them. Excedrin usually worked, or for a while I had prescription drugs like Celebrex (didn't do much) and Axert (worked some of the time). Sometimes, if no medications worked, I just had to drink lots and lots of water and try to drown it out. I've tried chiropractic therapy (helped a little bit, but still got them). Overall, prevention was best. I got a book called "Heal Your Headache" by Dr. Buchholz, and it was very helpful. I"d recommend it to see if any of the foods are on your "trigger" list.
    At the moment... I'm post-partum and have been pretty headache-free, I think I've had 2 headaches, minor ones, in the last 4.5 months.
    Hope you can get better soon!
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get these TOM migraines and the only thing I've found that works so far is just regular old Tylenol combined with a cup or two of coffee. Something about the caffeine and pain killer does it for me. No clue why.