can't afford gym membership :(

Options
herro! Just wanted to get some opinions on great ways to burn when you can't afford a membership.

I have a bottom of the line treadmill, and it only takes so many weeks of that before I'm bored out of my skull.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• mjzzz
    mjzzz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There's lots you can do from home! I got fit at home by doing Fitness blender workouts everyday http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/full-length-workouts/ and having a tread mill is awesome. Try to do both body weight and some cardio on the tread mill and you will see results. If you have one that can incline and decline, crank that baby up for 10 mins thats a workout in itself. Good luck!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Run outside.

Bike outside.

Get some cheap dumbbells.

Get some resisistance bands.

Get the You Are Your Own Gym app.

Buy a couple cheap exercise DVDs.

Search for circuit training workouts on youtube.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • leapsonbounds
    leapsonbounds Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Walk outside, go for a bike ride, check out Fitness Blender workouts on YouTube (plus tons of other workouts). My cable company (Comcast) offers a "free" fitness channel with tons of workouts. Many libraries have DVDs you can take out. See if yours has some fitness ones. I don't belong to a gym either. Good luck!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    herro!

No gym necessary!

Free:
    Fitnessblender.com (the best)
    search youtube for whatever you like to do (cardio, dance, yoga, bodyweight workouts, etc.)
    Strap on those sneaks and go for a run outside!
    nerdfitness.com

Not Free but worth it:
    Any Jillian Michaels or BeachBody DVD. I have done 8 or 9 Jillian ones and I've done P90X and am currently doing Chalean Extreme, both are excellent. You'll need some dumbbells for most of that stuff but it's a very worthy investment IMO. I'd also recommend investing in a heart rate monitor. I have the Polar FT4. It gives you a pretty accurate calorie burn during your workout.

Let me know if you want specific DVD recommendations!
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    agreed with every poster above. Working out is free, all it takes is effort. if you want it bad enough then something like a gym membership isn't enough to stop you.

Cheers,

Tof
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership and I still exercise. I usually get out on a trail nearby, It is free and I can walk, jog, or even bike on it and It is a way to be around others doing the same.
  • ehorn625
    ehorn625 Posts: 144
    Options
    free workout videos on you tube!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Run outside.

Bike outside.

Get some cheap dumbbells.

Get some resisistance bands.

Get the You Are Your Own Gym app.

Buy a couple cheap exercise DVDs.

Search for circuit training workouts on youtube.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

ALLLLLL of this!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • clsindc
    clsindc Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Nerd Fitness has a great beginner body weight workout circuit plan. All one needs is their body and a gallon milk jug.
  • rolemodel69
    Options
    Beachbody dvd programs, they aren't free but they have a wide variety for all taste, from cardio, mma style workouts to mucle mass building.

Most of them can be done without any additionnal equipment in your home. Also having a trainer and other people on video that train with you give you a pace to follow, they give you cues on how to do the moves and it less boring to workout with other people that push you than alone.
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a gym membership either when I lost 86 lbs. I walked/jogged at my local park... around town.... around the block. I watched what I ate and moved. Period. It doesn't take a gym to make results happen... it takes you wanting it. :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    collagevideo.com and totalfitnessdvds.com are websites that provide tons of information on exercise DVDs.

Netflix (by mail) offers hundreds of workout DVDs ....when I started, I got a new workout every week. It was a great way to figure out what I liked. You local library will have workout DVDs too.

Cardio favorites (I have 2 left feet...so these are basic) ....

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/leslie-sansones-just-walk-4-mile-power-walk-6190

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/ellen-barretts-barefoot-cardio-5747

Strength training favorites.....

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/kelly-coffeys-30-min-to-fitness-weights-7991

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/10-minute-solution-tighten-and-tone-pilates-6240
  • Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    There's some great advice already posted, so no need for me to repeat that.

Something I didn't see mentioned was that lots of gyms will give you a couple days to a week free trial membership or discounts for certain things. I don't use a gym, personally, but the ones in my area give insurance discounts (and some insurance even covers the entire cost!) and student discounts.

Also, if you're looking for equipment, the 'free' section of Craigslist usually has people trying to get rid of old equipment. It's not typically top of the line stuff, but you can't beat free. (I got both my elliptical and my stationary bike for free from CL ads.)
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Join the military. you wont need a gym
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    walk.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    install Sworkit app on your phone....search youtube workout videos - there are TONS...I don't have a gym membership either, nor do I want one. I do everything on my own at home or outside.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

a nice jail sentence could work too.

and both have free food!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

and both have free food!

Doesn't jail have free healthcare!? I would go with that!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

and both have free food!

Doesn't jail have free healthcare!? I would go with that!

well, yes...i believe it does.

also free buttsecks!