Wearing a red dress to a wedding?

Options

Replies

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Irish wedding with an open bar! It's for a really fun couple, and I honestly don't think the bride would care at all (I wouldn't wear it if I thought she would), I just got concerned with hearing that red is not allowed. I figured posting on here I'd get some feedback from new/soon-to-be brides that would know better than I would.

Refer to emboldened. You have answered your own question. We do not know your friends. You do.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    i say go for it weddings are just a big excuse to party and spend money anyways. Any one who thinks this is wrong must still think it's some sacred institution.
  • renatewolfe
    renatewolfe Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It looks hot pink to me. And I've never heard the "don't wear red to a wedding rule". I think your idea of wearing a cardigan or shrug to "church it up" a bit is a great idea, so you don't shock the minister or upstage the bride, but otherwise, have fun!
    PS - the fact that so many of us have suggested a cardigan should be a compliment. It means that you look great in that dress and you could very well upstage the bride and everyone else at the wedding wearing your dress as is. Good for you!
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    I'd definitely wear something over the dress, as has already been mentioned but I wanted to emphasize the point. It's a great dress and I don't think the bride would think anything of it.
  • comrade_questions
    comrade_questions Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I never understood this. Unless someone is wearing a wedding dress and standing in my spot as the bride... I don't know how they could possibly ruin my day by wearing clothes they like.
  • StepAwayFromTheCupcake
    Options
    PS - the fact that so many of us have suggested a cardigan should be a compliment. It means that you look great in that dress and you could very well upstage the bride and everyone else at the wedding wearing your dress as is. Good for you!

Thank you! :blushing: :flowerforyou:
  • michellechawner
    Options
    My boss' daughter is getting married in 2 months and I plan on wearing my red dress - i only heard about the black/white rule, but I also plan to wear my red dress as it's 2 days after Christmas, and they're Jewish anyways (I'm pretty sure if I was wearing white, there would be an issue, but I don't think she cares what color we all wear, as long as we are dressed and there for her on her special day.).
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've never heard don't wear red to a wedding. You look fantastic, but judging by your photos, you're going to look fantastic in everything.
    NEWS_arya-stark-twins.gif

game+of+thrones%252C+season+3+the+red+wedding+episode+9+%252810%2529.gif

So glad I wasn't the only one whose brain went there.
  • sugarkissprincess
    sugarkissprincess Posts: 2,595 Member
    Options
    I would wear it and rock the **** out of it. I'm sure you will look beautiful and no one will judge you for wearing red.
  • chatipati1
    chatipati1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I was invited to a black tie optional wedding last week.. I did see red..more black though. I read up on what is the type of dress a woman should wear for this? Red was the new black. GO for it...
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Tone it down with a cardigan and you'll be fine.

Wearing red to a wedding is ok. Being sexier than the bride is not.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I've never heard don't wear red to a wedding. You look fantastic, but judging by your photos, you're going to look fantastic in everything.

same haha
    164 days till the next season comes out :)
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    When I was getting married, I was in the "as long as I'm the only one in a floor length whit ball gown, we're good" camp. I've never heard the no red rule. Plus, you seriously rock that dress
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

I don't get it.
  • xionfairy
    Options
    I honestly think you look pretty good in it and it shouldn't really matter the color or the style of a dress to wear at a wedding is what you choose not the bride!:smile: I joked to my mom if she ever gets remarried to the right guy, I'm NOT wearing a dress, i'll get a fitted suit! i made her day with that! :happy:
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of not wearing red - or black - or strapless (unless the wedding is in the morning?). White would be weird.
  • Lemmynade
    Lemmynade Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    As long as the bridal party isn't wearing that color, go for it. I showed up at a wedding (I thought the color was pink) in a short navy blue dress, brown shoes and a belt... and the bridesmaids walked out in nearly the same thing. It was odd.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I never heard of red or black being a no no! BTW you look amazing!
  • teacupowl
    teacupowl Posts: 104
    Options

And the thread is officially done. xD

Anyway, I think it's perfectly fine. Most modern brides aren't going to care one bit about some old tradition. Weddings are becoming less and less traditional each year.

I'm getting married next year and I personally wouldn't be offended by someone wearing red or black. :) You look great!
  • StepAwayFromTheCupcake
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! :drinker: