Can't stop eating crap!

Options
I have been on my weight loss journey for over 3 years, I set small goals each time and then reset once I achieved them, I got to my goal weight back in March not by trying but through depression and not eating. Since then I just haven't had the motivation to maintain or lose anymore. I have now gained back 12lbs and can't seem to stop myself from eating rubbish, I am not even hungry most of the time. I hate the way I look, all my new skinny clothes are getting tight or are too tight and I threw all of my old bigger stuff away.
Any ideas on how to get back on track? I say every morning that this will be a new start and I get through until I finish work and pick up kids and then the biscuits end up in my hand and I won't stop until I go to bed feeling disgusted with myself for not being stronger.

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Stop considering those foods off-limits.

Instead, plan your day around eating foods you actually enjoy. Plan ahead and make sure those foods fit into your goals for the day.

Especially at the end of the day. I find that having something really delicious waiting for me at the end of the day, like ice cream, really helps me avoid the other temptations throughout the day because I think "nah I don't need this because I have that ice cream later."
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I have been on my weight loss journey for over 3 years, I set small goals each time and then reset once I achieved them, I got to my goal weight back in March not by trying but through depression and not eating. Since then I just haven't had the motivation to maintain or lose anymore. I have now gained back 12lbs and can't seem to stop myself from eating rubbish, I am not even hungry most of the time. I hate the way I look, all my new skinny clothes are getting tight or are too tight and I threw all of my old bigger stuff away.
    Any ideas on how to get back on track? I say every morning that this will be a new start and I get through until I finish work and pick up kids and then the biscuits end up in my hand and I won't stop until I go to bed feeling disgusted with myself for not being stronger.

Go through your kitchen and throw away all the junk food and go shopping for healthier options. You have control over what you put into your mouth unless someone is tying you down and forcing it down your throat. You CAN do it. But you have to be ready.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear this. Only you can make the decision to start again. You know what to do and how to do it. Start right NOW!! ;)
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    you are stress eating, once you take the first bite it is hard to stop.
    I have the same issue, I am eating veg. instead of the junk.
    Good luck, it is very hard
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jon. You have to be reasonable about the amount you're eating (you probably can't reach your nutritional goals if 50% of your daily calories are coming from cookies), but there's no reason why you can't have the things you want and make them fit into your day.

And you also have to change your mindset from one of "I can't stop doing this!" to "Calm yourself; there will still be cookies tomorrow." That's what I have to do when I eat a really delicious cookie and want another one but can't have one because I don't have enough calories for it. I literally say to myself "Get over it. You will get to eat again tomorrow."
  • jonnythan
    Options
    you probably can't reach your nutritional goals if 50% of your daily calories are coming from cookies

determined-challenge-considered.jpg
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I have been on my weight loss journey for over 3 years, I set small goals each time and then reset once I achieved them, I got to my goal weight back in March not by trying but through depression and not eating.
    So, two things jump out at me. First, you didn't reach your goal weight by learning and applying new habits and adapting to a lifestyle that will help you maintain your weight. Jonnythan's suggestion is the solution for that problem.
    Second, if you were truly clinically depressed, did you seek treatment to manage that? It sounds like your depression is still ongoing, and this is just another manifestation of it. For me, depression often includes lack of motivation to do anything, much less getting up and moving, and the only thing that provides me with any semblance of pleasure is eating. I have very strong will-power, but depression and will-power are completely unrelated, and I can't manage my depression with diet, exercise and therapy alone. I also need anti-depressants and in the shorter-day parts of the year, I need light therapy. Maybe you should revisit your depression treatments?
  • camiscott
    camiscott Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Your story sounds very familiar to mine. Last October my husband left me for another woman and my depression spiraled out of control and i stopped eating. Between October and March i lost 56 lbs and improved my blood sugars but in an unhealthy way. Last March i was reconciled with my husband and happier times brought back my bad eating habits. Then in July i quit smoking after 30 years of that bad habit and 20 pounds have sneaked back up on me again. I also threw out my bigger clothes and got smaller ones that are starting to feel very tight. A few weeks ago i found this site and have been tracking my calories and exercise daily. Like the one gentleman said i will store up a few extra calories for that satisfying snack at the end of the day. Sometimes all we need is a person to talk to when we feel those urges arise also to encourage us to not put it in our mouth. Feel free to add me and shout out when those urges arrive. We all need an extra voice sometimes when we feel weak. You can do this just remember how those clothes felt when you bought them.
  • punkahontas71
    punkahontas71 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I always found a cookie in my hand and didnt know how it got there when depressed or stressed which is often. I recently replaced chocolate chip cookies with the healthier version (chickpea chocoloate chip cookies) they are really easy to make and give me the satisfaction of eating cookies.

http://www.texanerin.com/2012/04/grain-free-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-cookie-dough-bites.html

for brownies whip out a food processor throw in 1 cup dates 1/3 cup cocoa powder 1 cup crushed nuts of choice. grind it up in the processor then scoop on to wax paper. I roll it up to make a brownie log.. yumme!
  • Tann33
    Tann33 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have my moments where I "eat crap". I dust myself off and start back up again. Changing habits takes strength and will power. But sometimes its not so easy. I have work, schooling, and 4 children. But any moment that I have to myself, I try and workout; whether it be my body or my mind. Because the first step is thinking positive.

Don't be discourage keep at it. You meet your goal the first time, you can do it again.:flowerforyou:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Stop cutting out "crap foods". If you want to eat them, eat a reasonable amount within your calorie goal and walk away. Eat too much? Then get some exercise.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    you probably can't reach your nutritional goals if 50% of your daily calories are coming from cookies

Take the challenge. I wanna watch this.
  • wjw62
    wjw62 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Last year I tried the "Ideal Protein" diet.... it worked for me and I have kept the weight off since then :)

Might be something to look into for the short term 'boost' you need

https://www.idealprotein.com/ca/home
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I agree with the PP that mentioned taking all the "crap" our of your house.

I really make a conscience effort to limit the amount of temptation in the house. And on those days that I feel I REEEEAAALLLYY feel the need to indulge, I do so, but then I work out a half hour longer or eat less of something else.

Like others have mentioned, this whole thing is a lifestyle change, not just a quick fix and going back to your old ways.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds like you're still dealing with depression and are emotionally eating... If it was me, I'd find something else to do in the evenings when you start to "binge" (for lack of a better word). Take a long hot, refreshing bath/shower. Go to bed earlier. Go for a walk. Something to keep you out of the kitchen.

Additionally, if you start your "binge" before it's possible to do any of these other things, I'd make it a point to keep these foods you can't seem to control yourself around, out of the house. I have a serious problem with sweet things. To correct this, and to foster better habits, I've stopped buying those things I would reach for in a moment of stress or emotional turmoil, and replaced them with better for me things - apples, oranges, grapes, etc. If you're a chip binger, get some real cheese and nibble on that. Or get some nuts and nibble on those.

Lastly, I would see your doctor about your depression because it seems like it's not under control and until you find a way to get that under control, you're going to continue having these problems. Treatment for depression can be medicinal or dietary. If you don't to take drugs, find ways to control it with diet (which is totally possible, by the way).

I wish you the best of luck and hope you can overcome this.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I don't think people who say "oh, just incorporate a reasonable amount of junk food into your diet" understand how stress/emotional/binge eating works. A reasonable amount is not remotely satisfying when you're in that state.

It's not "I want 4 cookies but I'll stop at 2." It's "I have this giant gaping pit inside me and if I don't eat the whole package of Oreos I might die" and then 10 cookies in it's "I feel a little sick and should probably stop but I've gone this far and I only feel a little better." and then it's "oh my god, somebody's going to notice that 3/4 of the Oreos are gone so now I have to buy a new package to cover my tracks".

It's so much easier not to keep Oreos in the house to begin with.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I don't think people who say "oh, just incorporate a reasonable amount of junk food into your diet" understand how stress/emotional/binge eating works. A reasonable amount is not remotely satisfying when you're in that state.

It's not "I want 4 cookies but I'll stop at 2." It's "I have this giant gaping pit inside me and if I don't eat the whole package of Oreos I might die" and then 10 cookies in it's "I feel a little sick and should probably stop but I've gone this far and I only feel a little better." and then it's "oh my god, somebody's going to notice that 3/4 of the Oreos are gone so now I have to buy a new package to cover my tracks".

It's so much easier not to keep Oreos in the house to begin with.

When you have "this giant gaping pit inside me and if I don't eat a whole package of Oreos I might die," zero Oreos won't satisfy you either.

Not keeping triggers in the house is fine. But there's absolutely no reason to ban certain foods from your diet.

At some point, for this to work, you have to learn some level of self-control and moderation. If you can't do that you are doomed to failure. Learning moderation is a hell of a lot easier than learning abstinence.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options

When you have "this giant gaping pit inside me and if I don't eat a whole package of Oreos I might die," zero Oreos won't satisfy you either.

Not keeping triggers in the house is fine. But there's absolutely no reason to ban certain foods from your diet.

At some point, for this to work, you have to learn some level of self-control and moderation. If you can't do that you are doomed to failure. Learning moderation is a hell of a lot easier than learning abstinence.

For some of us (me, anyway), self control is more easily expressed by not surrounding ourselves with trigger foods. Not buying this stuff to begin with is an exercise in self-control and moderation. In fact, I'll buy the occasional small package of chocolate, or small package of cookies, or whatever. Having large amounts on hand isn't really healthy for anybody, and especially not for me.

Zero Oreos is definitely not satisfying, but most of the time, I won't leave the house to get junk food when I have a craving. I'll eat an apple and peanut butter and drink a big glass of water and be a little cranky, but I will not have consumed a dozen cookies :)

What works for you or me does not work for everybody.

Find what works for you.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options

haha..such a cute gif..love it!
    OP: I understand how it feels..I just let myself go on the vacation on purpose, as i felt like taking a break(not that i was too restrictive anyway prior to that). Once i was back, i did realize i am up a few pounds and also feeling quite bloated and fat. But i know this is a temporary feeling, that will go away and i should turn it around(most of it is water weight i am sure). I just dragged my *kitten* to start working out and i am already feeling better. So just start out by doing something extra one day and take it from there. The minute you start feeling better about yourself, you will work harder and will be happy & healthy in no time! :drinker:
  • lazylionlounging
    lazylionlounging Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in the exact same place. All my skinny clothes are tight and my belly is hanging over them. I was where I wanted to be 6 months ago but now I can't seem to stop myself. I thought if I joined this and had to tell someone what I'm eating I would think harder before popping food in my mouth. I don't have any great advice but I'd happily be your friend. Maybe we could support each other.