Anybody else worried about the US defaulting this week?

Options
124»

Replies

• Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I hate the GOP and the Democrats equally. That being said, the House (from where all spending bills are constitutionally required to originate) passed a bill to fund EVERYTHING in the government EXCEPT Obamacare. The Democrats rejected it. As such, the Democrats shut down the government. If you say otherwise, you are unaware of the facts, ignoring the facts, or straight up dishonest.

The further debate becomes the issue of legislation by appropriation. Which is how the Republicans are attempting to use this issue to shut down Obamacare. But that is an argument for another thread. And one that won't be seen on this board, as even this thread will be locked soon.

That's like saying it's my fault my house burned down if someone says "If you don't let me shoot your kid I'm going to burn down your house." and I refuse to let them murder my kids.

It is actually nothing at all like that. The House is charged with drafting a budget. They are well within their rights and constitutional authority to not approriate any money for Obamacare. Whereas, nobody has the right or authority to murder your kids.

Basically, you fail. But thanks for playing.

Nope. You and people who think like you fail. Read the news and watch the news, maybe you'll learn something. You are ignorant and in the minority. The House republicans are a minority within our government. And they were wrong to hold the country ransom just because they disagree with a law that was passed, may I remind you, was upheld by the supreme court.

By the way, put a shirt on, you look silly.

Who cares if it was upheld by the supreme court?
    There is a MASSIVE contingent of people in this country who see Obamacare as a absolute powderkeg waiting for a spark. Slamming shackles on a already struggling economy in the form of ANOTHER mandatory monthly expense doesn't look peachy to the ones having to shoulder most of the burden. The repubs had every right to hold up the process if it was in the best interest of their constituency.

Also, the news is a bunch of biased crap bought and paid for by TPTB to further their own goals. I recommend thinking freely and trying to see all sides instead of relying on "the news"
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    EdwardNortonFan43 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Obama ran on healthcare reform. He won the election for President twice! The American people have spoken, we want affordable healthcare, and he gave it to us. The GOP needs to get over it.

The people in the house won their elections also, the American people spoke there too. If you think this gives anyone affordable healthcare, you are crazy. It may help low income people that are already on the government dole, but it is robbing the money from other hard working people.The cost and saving promised have all been missed by a wide amount. I say fund it to the level they said it would need and not a dime more. It will fail on it's own. I think the shutdown was not the route to take to accomplish their goal and in the end, they got nothing they wanted, but dont make it seem like it is all the GOP's fault. The Liberals idea of negotiating is for the right to give them their way. We need an actual budget that gets this ridiculous spending under control. George Bush spent way to much money, but those bills all started in the House with Nancy Pelosi as speaker. Obama voted against raising the debt limit and argued Bush should be impeached. Now all of a sudden, it's ok. Liberals are all hypocrites!! They need to go through line by line and take out all the waste, reform "entitlements". My fear is we just go through this again in a few months.

Yes, the people in the house won their elections, but they are in the minority, and that includes their views of the ACA. Putting millions of workers out of work and costing this country 23 billion dollars is their fault. Democrats are the majority in government, we control the white house and the senate. See above posts. This whole shutdown was because of opposition to ACA, and if you don't see that, you are ignorant.
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    EdwardNortonFan43 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Obama ran on healthcare reform. He won the election for President twice! The American people have spoken, we want affordable healthcare, and he gave it to us. The GOP needs to get over it.

The people in the house won their elections also, the American people spoke there too. If you think this gives anyone affordable healthcare, you are crazy. It may help low income people that are already on the government dole, but it is robbing the money from other hard working people.The cost and saving promised have all been missed by a wide amount. I say fund it to the level they said it would need and not a dime more. It will fail on it's own. I think the shutdown was not the route to take to accomplish their goal and in the end, they got nothing they wanted, but dont make it seem like it is all the GOP's fault. The Liberals idea of negotiating is for the right to give them their way. We need an actual budget that gets this ridiculous spending under control. George Bush spent way to much money, but those bills all started in the House with Nancy Pelosi as speaker. Obama voted against raising the debt limit and argued Bush should be impeached. Now all of a sudden, it's ok. Liberals are all hypocrites!! They need to go through line by line and take out all the waste, reform "entitlements". My fear is we just go through this again in a few months.

Let's start with the real money eater - the bloated military budget and all those big spending contractors who are taking the American taxpayers to the cleaners. cut the military budget by 30%, we will then be able to balance the budget and bring down our deficit. I guess people on here forgot when **** Cheney said that: deficits do not matter. People we are paying for the two wars that Bush got us into and also for the Bush tax cuts that the country could not afford. We are borrowing money from China and the rest of the world to finance a lifestyle and a military that is outside of our reach. The day of reckoning is around corner, we haven't seen anything yet.

The military budget is around 700b. Cutting it by 30% would mean cutting around 210b. The deficit is what...1.1T? A start, yes, but doesnt balance the budget by itself. So please stop throwing out meaningless numbers.

I agree that the military budget should be slashed.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Let's start with the real money eater - the bloated military budget and all those big spending contractors who are taking the American taxpayers to the cleaners. cut the military budget by 30%, we will then be able to balance the budget and bring down our deficit. I guess people on here forgot when **** Cheney said that: deficits do not matter. People we are paying for the two wars that Bush got us into and also for the Bush tax cuts that the country could not afford. We are borrowing money from China and the rest of the world to finance a lifestyle and a military that is outside of our reach. The day of reckoning is around corner, we haven't seen anything yet.

The military budget is around 700b. Cutting it by 30% would mean cutting around 210b. The deficit is what...1.1T? A start, yes, but doesnt balance the budget by itself. So please stop throwing out meaningless numbers.

I agree that the military budget should be slashed.

I agree. Then we can address SS and Medicare at the same time.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Can we abolish the IRS at the same time?
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    144 in the House voted Nay, meaning they were willing to put the country into default and cause an international financial catastrophe. I looked up both the House and Senate votes for my state and found one senator voted Nay. I will do everything I can to vote against him when he runs again.
  • izWHATitIz
    izWHATitIz Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The funny thing is the Government would have never defaulted. About $10 billion is brought in daily and the Sec of Treasury has the athourity to distribute the funds proportionately to ensure the U.S.'s credit rating isn't damaged. Congress also just pushed through a bill stating that if the debt ceiling was not raise all revenue would be distributed appropriately toward the debt the U.S. owes with the remaining going toward government agencies.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Nope, not in the slightest bit
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    The funny thing is the Government would have never defaulted. About $10 billion is brought in daily and the Sec of Treasury has the athourity to distribute the funds proportionately to ensure the U.S.'s credit rating isn't damaged. Congress also just pushed through a bill stating that if the debt ceiling was not raise all revenue would be distributed appropriately toward the debt the U.S. owes with the remaining going toward government agencies.

I heard several conflicting opinions about a default. I heard that money we take in would go toward the debt/to pay creditors, which meant people would not have received social security checks, medicare and VA benefits, etc. A default would have rocked the stock market.
  • the_summer_belle
    the_summer_belle Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    perhaps just to be safe get yr money out and if nothing happens you can put it back in seen lots of YT vids of people doing just that in case it does get locked up.
  • knucklesammie
    knucklesammie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am a Libertarian so I disagree with both sides. They are essentially the same to me. They just use different talking points to achieve the same goal. *shrug*

This country is a one-party country. Half of it is called Republican and half is called Democrat. It doesn't make any difference. – Hugh Downs
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I hate the GOP and the Democrats equally. That being said, the House (from where all spending bills are constitutionally required to originate) passed a bill to fund EVERYTHING in the government EXCEPT Obamacare. The Democrats rejected it. As such, the Democrats shut down the government. If you say otherwise, you are unaware of the facts, ignoring the facts, or straight up dishonest.

The further debate becomes the issue of legislation by appropriation. Which is how the Republicans are attempting to use this issue to shut down Obamacare. But that is an argument for another thread. And one that won't be seen on this board, as even this thread will be locked soon.

That's like saying it's my fault my house burned down if someone says "If you don't let me shoot your kid I'm going to burn down your house." and I refuse to let them murder my kids.

It is actually nothing at all like that. The House is charged with drafting a budget. They are well within their rights and constitutional authority to not approriate any money for Obamacare. Whereas, nobody has the right or authority to murder your kids.

Basically, you fail. But thanks for playing.

Nope. You and people who think like you fail. Read the news and watch the news, maybe you'll learn something. You are ignorant and in the minority. The House republicans are a minority within our government. And they were wrong to hold the country ransom just because they disagree with a law that was passed, may I remind you, was upheld by the supreme court.

By the way, put a shirt on, you look silly.

So you are incapable of forming a thought on your own, and instead let the news dictate your opinion. And you think it is I who fail? Here is a little "news" for you. You can not dispute the facts I posted. Because they are that, facts. Learn to investigate the facts yourself. Until then, your opinion is meaningless. Because YOU don't have an opinion. You simply parrot whatever MSNBC/CNN/whatever talking head you happen to watch.

In short, it is people like you who DON'T think, and are apparently incapable of doing so, that fail.

edit to add: Much hotter women than you say otherwise about my lack of a shirt. And given that you have proven yourself incapable of actual thought, I will stick with their opinion.
  • djeffreys10
    Options

Yep, address it as in completely eliminate it. And eliminate all other unconstitutional spending at the same time.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Yep, address it as in completely eliminate it. And eliminate all other unconstitutional spending at the same time.

Unfortunately the deficit cannot realistically be eliminated in one year, especially by eliminating entitlements. That is one thing I disagree with Libertarians on. Ideally we would have a 20 year plan with phased changes to entitlements to allow people to adjust. Suddenly stripping the elderly of their medical care and SS is cruel and good for no one.
  • djeffreys10
    Options

Unfortunately the deficit cannot realistically be eliminated in one year, especially by eliminating entitlements. That is one thing I disagree with Libertarians on. Ideally we would have a 20 year plan with phased changes to entitlements to allow people to adjust. Suddenly stripping the elderly of their medical care and SS is cruel and good for no one.

I didn't say it could be, and I didn't say to eliminate it over night. To do so would be a disaster. It would have to be phased out. However, "entitlements" (as if anyone but me is entitled to the money I earn) are immoral, unconstitutional, and by all means should be on a path to elimination.
  • dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

I didn't say it could be, and I didn't say to eliminate it over night. To do so would be a disaster. It would have to be phased out. However, "entitlements" (as if anyone but me is entitled to the money I earn) are immoral, unconstitutional, and by all means should be on a path to elimination.

You, I like. I'm not a staunch Republican by any stretch and I am quite embarassed by the way they acted in this most recent debacle. Our entire government acted like a bunch of petulent little boys in a pi**ing contest. There does, however, need to be change in this country and I'm right on board with your opinion regarding entitlements.

I'd just like to add that I'm equally embarassed by the poster(s) in this thread who can't seem to see past their own party to realize that our entire federal government was to blame for coming this close to a default. Not the GOP, not the Democrats...all of them. Those posters are also to blame as they likely vote their party line only regardless of who the best candidate actually is.

Oh, and I think you look great in your avatar please don't put a shirt on. :drinker:
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to provide a brief explanation for locking this topic. This discussion is welcome to continue on in groups.

The forum guidelines include this item:

16. No Political Topics in the Main Forums
    Political content is not allowed on the Main Forums. This includes images. Please form or join a Group if you would like to engage in political debate on MyFitnessPal.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.