Stronglifts 5x5 Program

Options

Replies

• Mikej77
    Mikej77 Posts: 112
    Options
    but you have to admit, surely, that he is indeed an azzhat?
    5fd68d2c8b25d7126df6f94833d893d5
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    lol okay :)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

haha they are identical (except one lift). the book, IMO, gives better advice and doesn't spam you everyday.

Your point is? Once again, most lifting programs are similar. He has never said anything negative about others and (as per my knowledge) the others never claim he has stolen anything from them.
    i have no probs with him copying the routine (in fairness, i think its been around for years and years, they have both just repopularised it) and making money - good on him - he's also got more people doing the routine, which is a good thing.

He's not really making huge amounts of money. His emails don't consists of ads, he does ask people to join his inner circle which is nothing different from any other website really. I mean, the guy wants to pay his website bills (which is decent amount over the time) and just like any small website, he likes to publicize it. You can however very easily unsubscribe to it. One email a day from him in which he gives awesome advice isn't so bad. But you can still unsubscribe it and it won't do him any harm since there are no ads in the email.

You have clearly never read others. Can you please give proof of how he is an azzhat?
  • helenjon752
    helenjon752 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am reeeaaallly old ! and I love the Stronglifts 5 x 5 .
  • fullofquirks
    fullofquirks Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I've said it before, I'll say it again. I love teh Stronglifts. Started in April and am currently on the 2nd round after 5x5, really never thought I'd stick with it.

But like others have said, I like the straightforward program, the time factor is great since I have 2 kids and my hubs and father are also following SL, and I just feel so much stronger. It's currently hidden in a fat suit, but I can feel there's an actual body in there somewhere.
  • michaelmadonna
    michaelmadonna Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Is anyone currently on this program, or tried it in the past? If so can I get your views on it please.

I was always under the impression that Isolation Exercises were the best way to build muscle, but this program solely focuses on Compounds with no isolation at all - seems rather alien to me, so before I jump ship i'd like to hear some others views please :)

I've been doing the stronglifts program since July after a few years of split routines. I've made so much more progress on this program than in all those years. I like the compound lifts and simplicity of the program however, time does become more of a factor when you start to move heavier weights and need to rest longer between sets. I'm at the point where I've started maxing out and stalling on several of the lifts and deloaded on a couple. Close to moving to 3x5 and the strength gains are coming slower, especially while still in a calorie deficit. When I get to my goal bf% I'm looking forward to how this program will work during a bulk.

I also don't mind the one email a day from Medhi some have good information in them and always a reminder to be consistant.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Saves time? I'm in full time education plus I have a part time job at work usually between 18-24 hours a week and still manage to go to the gym 1 and a half to 2 hours a day 6 days a week. I get up at 5am twice a week to make time for working out, "compounds saves time" just sounds lazy.

Nail it out on compounds and then finish off the muscle(s) with isolations.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

You have clearly never read others. Can you please give proof of how he is an azzhat?
    You obviously don't follow him on facebook. On a regular basis he cuts down people that use gloves or straps basically saying if you're using those for his program, you're really not doing his program. I don't use either, nor do I follow his program, but that's an azzhat thing to say to your supporters. It's like NBC or CBS cutting to commercial and saying "if you're not watching this on a Hi-Def TV, then you should change the channel because you're an idiot."

I no longer follow his program, nor his website or FB. Unsubscribed to everything.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Saves time? I'm in full time education plus I have a part time job at work usually between 18-24 hours a week and still manage to go to the gym 1 and a half to 2 hours a day 6 days a week. I get up at 5am twice a week to make time for working out, "compounds saves time" just sounds lazy.

Wow, 18 hours a week, must be nice. Try being a full time student, working 50-60 hours a week, and raising a family, see if you still have 2 hours a day to workout. People who do compound lifts to save time aren't doing it because they are lazy. They're doing it because they actually work for a living, and don't have time to lounge around and go to the gym for hours a day.
  • taunto
    Options

Its not really a e-peen measuring contest to see who can fit working out in their schedule. I just like to spend less time in gym so I can spend more time with other things. Doing my PhD while working full time and have a family life. Time saved is time saved, no matter how little. I used to HATE lifting but the attraction of SL for me was that (in the start) I could be done in 20 minutes. Now after progression it takes me tops 50 minutes. That, 3 times a week, is perfect for me.
  • taunto
    Options

You obviously don't follow him on facebook. On a regular basis he cuts down people that use gloves or straps basically saying if you're using those for his program, you're really not doing his program. I don't use either, nor do I follow his program, but that's an azzhat thing to say to your supporters. It's like NBC or CBS cutting to commercial and saying "if you're not watching this on a Hi-Def TV, then you should change the channel because you're an idiot."

I no longer follow his program, nor his website or FB. Unsubscribed to everything.

Perfect solution.

PS. You will find MUCH worse azzhats here on MFP than Mehdi is on his facebook (which is FILLED with kids who just want to troll)
  • alyhuggan
    Options

Wow, 18 hours a week, must be nice. Try being a full time student, working 50-60 hours a week, and raising a family, see if you still have 2 hours a day to workout. People who do compound lifts to save time aren't doing it because they are lazy. They're doing it because they actually work for a living, and don't have time to lounge around and go to the gym for hours a day.

As I said I don't have time to lounge around stated by the fact I get up at 5am twice a week because I can't go to the gym that day any other way. And I can guarantee most of the people complaining about time on here spend several hours watching TV every day.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Perfect solution.

PS. You will find MUCH worse azzhats here on MFP than Mehdi is on his facebook (which is FILLED with kids who just want to troll)
    Difference is, the azzhats here aren't promoting a program then making fun of the ones that are using it to his holier than thou satisfaction.
  • taunto
    Options

As I said I don't have time to lounge around stated by the fact I get up at 5am twice a week because I can't go to the gym that day any other way. And I can guarantee most of the people complaining about time on here spend several hours watching TV every day.

Whats wrong with spending time watching TV? You don't always have to be in a beast mode. If you can get decent results that you seek from working out, there is nothing wrong with watching TV and spending time with the family.
  • Hollywoodm55
    Hollywoodm55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Whats wrong with spending time watching TV? You don't always have to be in a beast mode. If you can get decent results that you seek from working out, there is nothing wrong with watching TV and spending time with the family.

I also have to be up at 5 am to go to work full time, and attend school part time. With 2 small kids and a husband I still go to the gym almost every day and do a variation of 5x5. So my days are full and I still watch tv. I think I need it for my mental health and if I couldn't watch it I would probably cut someone!

But everyone is different and as long as your doing something that works for you then that's great. :)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

haha they are identical (except one lift). the book, IMO, gives better advice and doesn't spam you everyday.

Your point is? Once again, most lifting programs are similar. He has never said anything negative about others and (as per my knowledge) the others never claim he has stolen anything from them.
    i have no probs with him copying the routine (in fairness, i think its been around for years and years, they have both just repopularised it) and making money - good on him - he's also got more people doing the routine, which is a good thing.

He's not really making huge amounts of money. His emails don't consists of ads, he does ask people to join his inner circle which is nothing different from any other website really. I mean, the guy wants to pay his website bills (which is decent amount over the time) and just like any small website, he likes to publicize it. You can however very easily unsubscribe to it. One email a day from him in which he gives awesome advice isn't so bad. But you can still unsubscribe it and it won't do him any harm since there are no ads in the email.

think you may be taking the forum a tad too serious??

IMO - tends to negate the need for proof :)

(didn't say he stole it either)
  • CactusF1ower
    CactusF1ower Posts: 174 Member
    Options

Wow...whether you realize it or not, you come across as very judgemental and holier than thou. Simply because spending more time at the gym works for you does not mean that it should work for others, or else they are lazy. If spending 35 minutes works for a person, and with good results, then what's wrong with that? It is not a contest on who can spend more time at the gym. I assure you that there is someone out there that spends more time there than you do, but that does not make you lazy. Anyway, let's not hijack this thread with negative comments. Namaste (not sure what it means but it sounds peaceful :happy:)
  • alyhuggan
    Options

Sounding a little arrogant no?

No