Protien Question

Options
Hi

I am looking for some advice

put in my food diary for today and its seems i am over in protien. does this make a huge difference? all my other figures are green still :-)

x

Replies

• TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    MFP really doesn't give you enough protein in its stock settings, and gives you WAY more carbs then needed. Most everyone goes to atleast 30% protein, and I personally use 40% for weight loss. 40-30-30 and 30-40-30 are popular settings for your macros in the goal section.

Protein is a very good thing. Technically there is such a thing as too much, but its almost impossible to get there.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Your body can absorb 2g of protein per 1 kg of body weight (divide your weight by 2.2). That's the maximum you should be getting if you're an elite athlete. For the normal person, it's 1 to 1.4 (I think) g of protein per kg of body weight. It's pretty tough to get more than that unless you're really trying.

And I agree that MFP has it set low. It's set at 48 for me, and it should be at least 63.
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    hiya

thanks for your speedy reply

all my other sections like carbs are a lot lower than the stated amount and thats with cereal, potato soup and potatoes with my dinner lol

i will carry on and concentrate on the cals and monitor the other sections
    x
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    If you go to "my home" and click on "goals" then you can select "change goals" and put in your own numbers. I think this is far superior to just knowing that what you want is different from the numbers on the screen.

Personally, I think those that are doing any resistance training should get around 1 g pr lb of bodyweight. I don't really know how kg's relate to that, because I'm amercian and therefore don't care about the system the rest of the world uses (I've been told they're all wrong and everything we do is right). ;)
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    lol

i am scottish but i like lbs and stones :-)

so i am about 88g of protien then?
    xx
  • kate205gti
    kate205gti Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    thankyou i was wondering the same thing - have just changed my goals too thanks for that :) now just need to find some protein bars that arent too high in calories :s
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    You need as much protien as possible Girl!!!!! It's good for you to be over!
  • rml_16
    Options
    You need as much protien as possible Girl!!!!!

That is incorrect. Too much protein is not good for you. Too much of anything is not good for you.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post, I am almost over in my protein.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post, I am almost over in my protein.
  • FatGoinDown
    FatGoinDown Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    These posts are very helpful. I hope the creators of the site are reading them. We can all learn from each other. I just started and was wondering what was up. I'm below my calories but way over on protein.
  • rml_16
    Options
    If you go to "my home" and click on "goals" then you can select "change goals" and put in your own numbers. I think this is far superior to just knowing that what you want is different from the numbers on the screen.

Personally, I think those that are doing any resistance training should get around 1 g pr lb of bodyweight. I don't really know how kg's relate to that, because I'm amercian and therefore don't care about the system the rest of the world uses (I've been told they're all wrong and everything we do is right). ;)

Kg is how it's figured, even in the US. Sorry to tell you. My info is from the Mayo Clinic and Cleveland Clinic, which are in the US.

1g per pound is WAY more than you need and WAY more than your body can absorb. You can cause major health problems if you're getting that much on a regular basis.

And it's nice that YOU think that's what people should get, but I'll go with what experts say. Thanks, anyway.
  • dlmarkley66
    Options
    So if I weigh 185#, which is 84kg x 1.4 =117 fm of protein per day? Just wanting to make sure I understand. It seems like mine is set at like 60 or something crazy like that. I have been worrying about it also. Thanks for the information.
  • kianaik
    kianaik Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My trainer has given us the guideline of eating a minimum of 80g of protein per day up the equivalent of your weight. For example, if you weigh 155 lbs then eat between 80g and 155g of protein per day.
  • rml_16
    Options
    My trainer has given us the guideline of eating a minimum of 80g of protein per day up the equivalent of your weight. For example, if you weigh 155 lbs then eat between 80g and 155g of protein per day.

Did you ask your trainer what kind of nutrition education he has? How much time he spent learning about that kind of thing? Most trainers have learned very little about nutrition or anatomy.

I wouldn't take the advice of a trainer on something like this. They're great at showing you how to exercise, but that's about it.

It worries me that they give nutritional advice because most of them don't actually know what they're talking about. You can do a quick Google search and find out what you need.

No human body can absorb more than 2g per kilogram of body weight, so eating 1g per pound is more than your body can absorb.

The health side effects include kidney and liver problems, a couple friends of mine had to have major stomach surgery (and will have health problems the rest of their lives) after getting too much protein on the advice of trainers and excess protein leaches calcium from the bones, which can lead to osteoporosis.

The 2 g per kilogram is also recommended for people who are elite athletes, not the average person.
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    So if I weigh 185#, which is 84kg x 1.4 =117 fm of protein per day? Just wanting to make sure I understand. It seems like mine is set at like 60 or something crazy like that. I have been worrying about it also. Thanks for the information.

hiya i went with 1g of protein for 1kg of my weight

i think 1.4 is too much
    x
  • rml_16
    Options

i think 1.4 is too much
    x

It's more of a range thing. You want to get a minimum amount, but you don't want to regularly get to much.

If you eat meat every day, you're probably doing fine. There's a lot of protein even in a single chicken breast.

I'm lacto-ovo vegetarian and it's not unusual for me to get 80-plus grams of protein just from food.
  • lucysmommy
    Options

i think 1.4 is too much
    x

It's more of a range thing. You want to get a minimum amount, but you don't want to regularly get to much.

If you eat meat every day, you're probably doing fine. There's a lot of protein even in a single chicken breast.

I'm lacto-ovo vegetarian and it's not unusual for me to get 80-plus grams of protein just from food.

hiya

yeah i eat meat everyday - love it too much

xx
  • rml_16
    Options
    If you're eating meat every day, it's highly unlikely you aren't getting enough protein. :-)
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    cool

but i am over on my carbs now lol
    oh well i am still under cals for the day

and i do a lot of running so really need carbs as well

x