I need to lose 250 pounds.

Options
124»

Replies

• mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Best advice I have is don't look at this as "I have 250 pounds to lose." Make 250 your final goal, set yourself some smaller goals that are attainable in a smaller amount of time. Just examples, not suggestions, goal 1 - lose 20, goal 2 - lose 5 in 30 days, etc.

Make a plan, a sustainable plan, not some appetite suppressant that is only making you lose money. The "results" from diet pills are seen because people make dietary changes to go along with the pills. Think about this - How many glasses of water do you now have to drink to take the pills according to their directions? Would you have drank that much water before? If you drink that much water even with out the pills doesn't it give you the "full" feeling and make you eat less?

DON'T look at this as a diet. You are making LIFE changes and you need to be able to stick with them long term.

You are welcome to add me as a friend and I will help in any way I can. Just don't expect sugar coating.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    It's a slow process but you can do it!

I started at 395, I'm now at 270 and my current goal weight is 200 (which may change once I get there). Weight Loss Surgery may be quick, but it's definitely NOT the easy way out. Surgery is extreme and should be the last resort, only after you can legitimately say you've tried everything else. Even with WLS you have to limit your intake of food, watch the amount of protein and vitamins, etc etc. So why not do that while eating healthy and being able to enjoy what you're eating rather than just being able to eat 2 TBS of food at a time? Ok - I know that may be an exaggeration but...

Eat healthier, eat less, and move more.
    Start out slow and make changes that are sustainable.

You CAN do this. One day at a time, sometimes just one meal at a time, but you CAN do this.

Fell free to add me as a friend. You definitely don't have to do it alone!
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    So first off, I wanted to say that I'm NOT anti-weight loss-surgery. I am however anti-giving up on yourself. Surgery, despite what some people think, is NOT the easy way out. However people see it there as an option, and give themselves numbers, like your 400-lb mark, and say "well if I get here, I'll have surgery." Nothing is going to work for weight loss if you don't MAKE it work.

I was nearly 300 lbs before I was even 21 years old. How does that even happen? I had given up a LONG time before that. Once you give up, you lack the motivation to even care. Others point your weight problem out, some not so nicely. It digs that hole even deeper for you than you thought that hole could go. YOU are the one that has to climb back out.

You've logged 4 days out of the 17 in this month. Granted, the last 3 times were in a row, but on the other day you logged, you were upset with yourself for eating and not even realizing you were doing it, basically. Make small changes in your home. If someone in your house eats the junk, then tell them there are going to be limits- or lock a cabinet and give them the key and nobody else.

As for your son's weight- that has nothing to do with you needing surgery. You have to set examples for him. Despite of and because of my own weight problem, I was determined that my children would be healthy. I do allow them 'junk' occasionally, but they know what to expect at meals and they don't fight it. All they drink is water, and now (ages 3 and 5), one cup of milk a day. Rarely rarely RARELY juice.

Like someone else said- don't look at all 250 lbs you have to lose- start small. The ticker I have below, that doesn't represent my entire goal. It's the goal I'm looking at right now, at which point I'll set it for my next goal. When I look at the big picture, I get discouraged fast.

You CAN do this. Look through some of the success threads and make even message some of the people that inspire you most, for some more tips. Keep your chin up.