salad ideas for a non - salad eater?

Options

Replies

• Cove67
    Cove67 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi LisaMarie, I hope your experiments go well. I was never great on lettuce leaves, (and still dislike ice 'yuck' berg) but i eat lots now but my trick is to never eat a bit of lettuce on it's own. My basic salad - lettuce, tomato, cucumber, capsicum - always has a bit of something to cheer it up avacado or feta are favorites in my family. But i am definately going to try some of those salads recommended in link below.
    Cheers
  • aidyaidybobady
    aidyaidybobady Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Off topic, but GemmaRowlands, what a transformation. You look like a different person!
    I was just thinking the same thing! Very inspirational!
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Try using a vegestable peeler to shave some carrot and zucchini "noodles" as the base of your salad. Very tasty! I like to add some sort of protein and then a stinky-cheese like Feta too. Mmmmm
  • xxTracey
    xxTracey Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I love salad, especially when i make a thai dressing with sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, chilli and almond butter. Seriously makes ALL the difference to a salad soooo delicious! I could eat it every day! but sometimes i mix it up because i'm afriad of sickening myself with it and i love it so much so i dont want to ha! xx
  • xxTracey
    xxTracey Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favourites.

Thai Chicken Salad:Serves 2

Half a Sweetheart (or other white cabbage head) raw and sliced into thin strips.
    2 medium carrots raw sliced into thin strips
    1 pepper raw sliced into strips
    1 onion raw sliced into rings or half rings.

2 breasts of chicken, cubed and cooked

2 tablespoons of Nampla fish sauce
    2 tablespoons on lime Juice
    1 teaspoon of dark brown sugar.

Put the chicken on to cook, I normally dry fry mine in a non stick pan.

Put the Nampla, lime juice and sugar in a small bowl and mix until the sugar dissolves.

Put all the vegetables in a big bowl and mix it up, add the cooked chicken and the sauce and mix.

Serve and enjoy!

Carrot, cashew nut and orange salad is also good but I don't know the recipe off by heart. You should be able to find it on the web though.

This sounds delish going to try this! x
  • TheTruthAtAnyCost
    TheTruthAtAnyCost Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I absolutely HATE lettuce. But for different reasons than you so this advice may not help.

What gets me about lettuce is the crunchy white parts. I just find them gross, so lettuces that are heavy with them, like iceburg, are totally unappealing to me. Even romaine has far more than I would like.

So I substitute baby spinach. No gross crunch white pieces, and with less sugar and sodium (though, regrettably, more calories).

And also, as other people have said, why does it need to have lettuce at all?
  • kenyonl85
    kenyonl85 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Use some ground turkey and make taco meat. Top some lettuce with the meat, cheese, salsa! Taco salad!
  • kenyonl85
    kenyonl85 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Also, I used to go to a salad bar and I never got lettuce. The base was raw cauliflower and broccoli. Topped it with various salad bar accoutrements and dressing.
  • miindyxo
    miindyxo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can try Quinoa salads, instead of lettuce mix whole wheat quinoa in with veggies and nuts, you can get some good recipes on eatingwell.com or just google "Quinoa Salad"
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    What is whole wheat quinoa?
    You can try Quinoa salads, instead of lettuce mix whole wheat quinoa in with veggies and nuts, you can get some good recipes on eatingwell.com or just google "Quinoa Salad"
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    There is nothing magical about salad for losing weight. Salads are a great way to get your veg and what not for nutrition..but really, a salad worth eating is still going to be calorie dense because for me it's going to have some good olive oil and balsamic vinegar, a little cheese...some meat, and loads of veggies...my salads usually clock in around 600 calories or so. Also, I don't really do lettuce...only true greens. Lettuce is just a waste of everyone's time.

Moral of the story, if you don't like salad, don't eat salad...
  • running_free_1984
    running_free_1984 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Saw a nice looking 'salad' of grilled portobello mushrooms, caramelised onions and goats cheese ( I think there were some other grilled vegetables too).
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Pinterest and Yummly have some really great ideas to get you started. Just google "salad no lettuce".
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    google NON LETTUCE salads and start from there.

i think that's most people's objection to salads.

think of all the things you like and combine them together in different combinations.

think of things like sliced tomatoes with sliced mozarella and balsamic and basil. think outside the box with your salads.
  • SPPutnam
    SPPutnam Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I use 1-2 cups of fresh spinach, 1-2 cups of mixed baby greens, add kidney beans, olives, shredded carrots, 1/8-1/4 cup shredded cheese, 5-6 grape tomatoes, and 2 tablespoons of ranch dressing. Put all that in a large tupperware container and shake it like your mad at it. Turns out PERFECT! I can hardly go a day without this now. It's about 300-500 calories if you do it right.
  • lisamaree78
    lisamaree78 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I really appreciate all the fab suggestions & will definitely be trying them! As for the lettuce, that was just an example as to why I struggled to eat that salad on that particular day. I have no intentions of forcing myself to eat lettuce if I don't like it & don't believe that a salad must have lettuce in it. I would like to eat healthy food that I enjoy rather than dreading my next meal & was curious as to what others do in regards to salads. I have just bought a pre-packed salad from the supermarket which I'm about to have for lunch. Have added half a hard boiled egg and some fat free ham and it has come to 190 cal. I'm hoping I enjoy it! Thanks again for all your comments :smile:
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Try using a vegestable peeler to shave some carrot and zucchini "noodles" as the base of your salad. Very tasty! I like to add some sort of protein and then a stinky-cheese like Feta too. Mmmmm

THIS!! I love carrot and zucchini "ribbons" in my salad. Other things to try, beets/beetroot, I do pickled or plain canned. Pickled peppers. Canned/cooked beans. Also, try different kinds of greens. You don't have to stick with plain lettuce. I like mixing cold with hot. Nuts or seeds for crunch. Try rinsing onions to get a flavor with less bite. I use non-traditional dressings like avocado puree thinned out. Or raspberry yogurt (I make my own with pureed raspberry).

I honestly like everything but the kitchen sink in my salads (see photo, lol) And usually lettuce or greens don't make up the bulk of my salad. They're not my favorite texture, either. A tip for trying different things would be to go to a well stocked salad bar and create something new.

And finally if you just don't like it no matter what you do, don't worry. It's fine. I cringe more when I see grown adults drowning their salad in a high calorie dressing to choke it down to say they ate a salad!! (Not saying you do, it's just a pet peeve of mine!!)
  • septembergrrl
    septembergrrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    This is a really neat article about what makes a good salad. The specific recipe's not necessarily what you want, but the idea of balancing leafy/crunchy/creamy/salty/etc. really helped make my salads a LOT better. And I was never really a salad fan.

http://deadspin.com/how-to-make-a-salad-that-doesnt-suck-a-guide-for-the-5943632