Ground turkey and fecal matter

Options
trackme
trackme Posts: 239 Member
Just the latest in dirty food. On my local news yesterday, they said never to buy ground turkey as they have found over 50% of it to contain fecal matter. They said this can be very dangerous for the elderly, children and compromised people. They also said more food is, namely chicken is being sent to China for processing, then sent back here, so it's hard to tell where your food comes from. With tilapia also being farm raised in filth, gmo's, pesticides and the like, it's so hard to know what to eat. I realize you can make sure to cook poultry to kill bacteria but this is getting ridiculous. Why does our Government allow this?

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    That's why I cook stuff.
    I'm taking it you've never eaten out of the garbage?
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    holy ****.... you mean farm animals come into contact with feces? what's next, our fruits and vegetables?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a recipe. For once, I actually wanted to substitute cauliflower for an ingredient..
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Just the latest in dirty food. On my local news yesterday, they said never to buy ground turkey as they have found over 50% of it to contain fecal matter. They said this can be very dangerous for the elderly, children and compromised people. They also said more food is, namely chicken is being sent to China for processing, then sent back here, so it's hard to tell where your food comes from. With tilapia also being farm raised in filth, gmo's, pesticides and the like, it's so hard to know what to eat. I realize you can make sure to cook poultry to kill bacteria but this is getting ridiculous. Why does our Government allow this?

You do realize that the bacteria in fecal matter is destroyed during the cooking process, right?

And GMO's are not an additive to "come in contact with". :laugh:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

are you by any chance a militant vegan?
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of disappointed this wasn't a recipe. Who knew poop existed on farms?

16jg7ch.gif
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Buddy... is that you?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I do know that the FDA allows a certain % of fecal in all foods
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Do you have a recipe I can use the fecal to make gravy with?
    Also should I look in the Ethnic section of my store for it?

Oh Is it sold by the pound?
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I just assume EVERYTHING has poop on it. Makes life safer.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options

You do realize that the bacteria in fecal matter is destroyed during the cooking process, right?

Actually, it depends how well cooked it is. And there are some strains of bacteria and viruses that survive cooking. Despite the humorous responses, food contamination kills not an insignificant number of people each year.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Buddy... is that you?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • trackme
    Options
    I do know that the FDA allows a certain % of fecal in all foods

I didn't know that...all this info is sure helping me with my diet tho :wink:
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    Yeh, there's fecal coliform everywhere....even on your fingers right now! :drinker:
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    There you go OP enjoy :drinker:

http://listverse.com/2013/06/21/10-foods-you-eat-that-all-contain-feces/

Oh! Don't forget fish don't get out of the water when they got to go either..........
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I just assume EVERYTHING has poop on it. Makes life safer.

Pretty much this.
  • trackme
    Options
    I thought this was a recipe. For once, I actually wanted to substitute cauliflower for an ingredient..

^ Love :smile:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

Actually, it depends how well cooked it is. And there are some strains of bacteria and viruses that survive cooking. Despite the humorous responses, food contamination kills not an insignificant number of people each year.

Around 165F for salmonella?
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Yeh, there's fecal coliform everywhere....even on your fingers right now! :drinker:

Sanitize all of the things!!

I don't know if this is even relevant, but there was a Mythbusters that had toothbrushes by their bathroom and after a week or something, all the toothbrushes had poop on them.

Moral? Don't put ANYTHING in the toilet room!
  • FredDoyle
    Options

Sanitize all of the things!!

I don't know if this is even relevant, but there was a Mythbusters that had toothbrushes by their bathroom and after a week or something, all the toothbrushes had poop on them.

Moral? Don't put ANYTHING in the toilet room!
    The ones in the kitchen had higher counts if I recall correctly.