Ground turkey and fecal matter

Options

Replies

• TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Just the latest in dirty food. On my local news yesterday, they said never to buy ground turkey as they have found over 50% of it to contain fecal matter. They said this can be very dangerous for the elderly, children and compromised people. They also said more food is, namely chicken is being sent to China for processing, then sent back here, so it's hard to tell where your food comes from. With tilapia also being farm raised in filth, gmo's, pesticides and the like, it's so hard to know what to eat. I realize you can make sure to cook poultry to kill bacteria but this is getting ridiculous. Why does our Government allow this?

Wait, an unnamed local "news" station said companies somehow find it more cost effective to ship chickens to China, have them killed and/or chopped to bits and packaged, and then shipped back? I guess the anti immigrant laws are working and fuel for international transport has suddenly gotten cheaper.

read it and weep....http://nypost.com/2013/09/15/schumer-blasts-usdas-decision-to-allow-us-chicken-processing-in-china/

nice article. I really enjoyed the sources they included in there.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Poo in my foods !?

Ain't nobody got time fo dat. I make it fit my macros.
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a recipe. For once, I actually wanted to substitute cauliflower for an ingredient..

OMG... I just choked on my laughter!!! Thank you!
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Just the latest in dirty food. On my local news yesterday, they said never to buy ground turkey as they have found over 50% of it to contain fecal matter. They said this can be very dangerous for the elderly, children and compromised people. They also said more food is, namely chicken is being sent to China for processing, then sent back here, so it's hard to tell where your food comes from. With tilapia also being farm raised in filth, gmo's, pesticides and the like, it's so hard to know what to eat. I realize you can make sure to cook poultry to kill bacteria but this is getting ridiculous. Why does our Government allow this?

Wait, an unnamed local "news" station said companies somehow find it more cost effective to ship chickens to China, have them killed and/or chopped to bits and packaged, and then shipped back? I guess the anti immigrant laws are working and fuel for international transport has suddenly gotten cheaper.

read it and weep....
    You haven't read any of the other posts have you :grumble:
    Go wash your hands, or lick them.
    The human body's immune system is amazing. Look into it.
    And then wash your hands. they have been in contact with many people who have questionable hygienic habits.
    e coli and all that...

There are people without good immune systems, the elderly, children, people who have other illnesses. And, even if everyone did, it doesn't stop all the infection. Dude, some schmuck who didnt wash his hands made the burger I ate for lunch that caused my dysentary. I guess you never watched the video about where Walmart gets their chickens..China. Look into that.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, ground meat is easily cooked to a temperature that kills any pathogens. I worry more about salad, which is eaten raw.
  • trackme
    Options

read it and weep....http://nypost.com/2013/09/15/schumer-blasts-usdas-decision-to-allow-us-chicken-processing-in-china/

nice article. I really enjoyed the sources they included in there.

True, not the best article but I wanted to post a source as people are finding it hard to believe.....I know I did!
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options

read it and weep....
    And then wash your hands. they have been in contact with many people who have questionable hygienic habits.
    e coli and all that...

There are people without good immune systems, the elderly, children, people who have other illnesses. And, even if everyone did, it doesn't stop all the infection. Dude, some schmuck who didnt wash his hands made the burger I ate for lunch that caused my dysentary. I guess you never watched the video about where Walmart gets their chickens..China. Look into that.

Look, if you really want to play the "read it and weep" game, look up the temperature that will kill e. coli (usda recommended 145F at this site--http://blog.usa.gov/post/6111180790/how-to-kill-e-coli-and-other-bacteria-when-cooking) and compare it to the safe internal cooking temperature for all ground turkey (165F at this site-- http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/mintemp.html).

The e coli thing... not such a big deal if normal cooking procedures are followed. There's no immune system that can protect you from "rare" turkey.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

read it and weep....
    e coli and all that...

Because China automatically means death?
  • whierd
    Options
    I'm still waiting to hear how GMO's get in the ground turkey.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Yes and they have tested lemons in restaurants and found fecal matter in over 60%. Water, no lemon please.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options

Duh.

turkey_baster_1.JPG
  • trackme
    Options

read it and weep....
    e coli and all that...

Look, if you really want to play the "read it and weep" game, look up the temperature that will kill e. coli (usda recommended 145F at this site--http://blog.usa.gov/post/6111180790/how-to-kill-e-coli-and-other-bacteria-when-cooking) and compare it to the safe internal cooking temperature for all ground turkey (165F at this site-- http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/mintemp.html).

The e coli thing... not such a big deal if normal cooking procedures are followed. There's no immune system that can protect you from "rare" turkey.

Oh, I realize that.....It just doesn't make me feel all warm and cozy about filthy business practices. But I will say, it has made me more aware of what I put in my body. So, I guess it is helping me lose weight!
  • kimtab
    kimtab Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I feel so dirty after reading this thread.
  • trackme
    Options

Hmm, now I know how you got your handle.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

Duh.

turkey_baster_1.JPG

omg please stop giving away my secrets. I thought of this after I read that child support thread earlier.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Civet coffee, anyone?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options

I don't really know but maybe the feed they get?
  • whierd
    Options

Hmm, now I know how you got your handle.

Because I chose it.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

You do realize that the bacteria in fecal matter is destroyed during the cooking process, right?

cooked s**t...yum.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Where do you think the gut friendly bacteria in lots of health products came from?

I'll give you a clue it wasn't from a turkey!