Feelings after a cheat day?

Options
For some reason i was craving pizza after a very long time so i gave in and i ate the whole large three cheese pizza all by myself.
Now i feel guilty and angry at myself for wasting all my calories on pizza!
Pizza was what made me fat in the first place, i loved it but after eating it today i didn't enjoy it as much as i thought i would...
I guess having cheat days and eating junk doesn't make me feel good anymore, i would have enjoyed a salad or a nice healthy vegetarian stir fry...

Does anyone else feel bad after eating unhealthy and what do you do to make you feel better?

Replies

• mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I fell off for the last two days and felt so horrible and gross, not to mention I had AWFUL heartburn like crazy! Wasn't able to perform quite as well as I usually do today in the gym either, so hopefully that will keep me in check for a good long while, did not like that at all! Good luck to you, just do better tomorrow :)
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days or meals built into my lifestyle, but I agree, feeling like you lose control around food (especially unhealthy food) just makes you feel like crap. I have a lot of trouble eating just a bit of something that I'm craving; usually I keep eating (over time) until I'm so sick of the food I really don't want it anymore. But I know that's not how I want to live my life, so yeah, definitely a hard issue.
  • Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I feel awful when i binge, but what's done is done. the best thing to do is realize that you're human and move on. at least you didn't get a good feeling from it. this will hopefully prevent any other slip ups.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    that's why you should allow pizza in your regular diet. some people can handle cheat days and it helps keep them on track. others can't, and when there is a cheat day it can turn into a large binge with feelings of guilt and remorse after. but you shouldn't feel guilty for eating something you love. maybe once a week allow yourself pizza, even if you make yourself with a cauliflower crust (have to eat it with a fork but seriously it tastes like straight up pizza anyway), or like a lean cuisine pizza or a regular slice. that way it doesn't come to the point where you are deprived of something you love, you overeat on it then feel horrible about it. i eat healthy, but i have pizza now and then. it's just bread, tomato sauce cheese and veggies, all which are not bad for you if you only have a slice or two. good luck!
  • xXxFallen_AngelxXx
    Options
    Burned 3000 calories the whole week, and I eat 2000 of them in one day. That makes me feel good :/ not.

I feel heavy if I have a cheat day- I honestly don't believe in them.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    maybe make a whole wheat crust instead, or can make mini english muffin pizzas or whole wheat bagel pizzas, to curb any future binges
  • peachcats
    Options
    I've never had a cheat day.
    Budget the meals into your calories, the only person you're cheating is yourself.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I haven't really had what I consider a cheat day. I eat crappy food sometimes, but I make it fit into my calorie goals.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Eating above maintenance once in a while is the best thing you can do for your weight loss, in my opinion. You got rid of your pizza craving, and you did your body a favor. Don't beat yourself up or ruin pizza night with bad feelings the next day.
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    i usually feel bad for eating 'unhealthy' even if its within my calorie goal, i don't know why it matters to me so much but its usually not my choice (no other food available at work except for fried food, id rather eat something than eat nothing). somehow in my brain unhealthy food = threat to my diet which isn't even true but i can't help feeling that way.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I don't consider any foods in groups of good or bad... I eat whatever it is that I want and fit it into my day. If I know I am going out for Pizza and Beer (which we are heading to the bar at 3 for the OSU game) then I will have a light breakfast and a small snack for lunch, got a good workout in this morning and save my calories for this afternoon so I can enjoy so Pizza and Beer and maybe a few wings.... Nothing worse than demonizing food, I eat alot of Lean meats, veggies, and grains but I also enjoy my ice cream, Pizza, and whatnot....... . Best of Luck...
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Eating above maintenance once in a while is the best thing you can do for your weight loss, in my opinion. You got rid of your pizza craving, and you did your body a favor. Don't beat yourself up or ruin pizza night with bad feelings the next day.

Agreed. The only thing you should feel after a cheat day is full. Eating should not = guilt. If you maintain a weekly deficit, you will still lose weight.
  • peachcats
    Options
    Why not just budget the pizza as is? You don't have to eat the entire thing...
    A lot of people around here already eat "cheat meals" regularly and are losing weight.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I feel fine after a cheat day. Just another day. Then again, a whole pizza is childs play to me.
  • wild_wild_life
    Options
    A lot of people around here already eat "cheat meals" regularly and are losing weight.

You can budget the pizza (or whatever) into your daily calories or into your weekly calories. Some people might prefer a small treat each day while others might prefer to take a "diet break" now and then and have a bigger treat.

There can be both psychological and physiological benefits to eating at maintenance or above once in awhile.

I agree that, for some people, eating an entire pizza and then feeling bad about it might be a reaction to a diet that is too restrictive.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else feel bad after eating unhealthy and what do you do to make you feel better?
    Fortunately I do feel awful when I don't do what I say I will do. Otherwise I'd do it more often.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

A whole pizza is the perfect food to boost leptin levels, and that's a good thing. There are a lot of hormone-related things happening in your body when you restrict calories, and there are some things you can do to make the process a little easier. Luckily, pizza night is one of those things.
  • wild_wild_life
    Options
    For some reason i was craving pizza after a very long time so i gave in and i ate the whole large three cheese pizza all by myself.
    Now i feel guilty and angry at myself for wasting all my calories on pizza!
    Pizza was what made me fat in the first place, i loved it but after eating it today i didn't enjoy it as much as i thought i would...
    I guess having cheat days and eating junk doesn't make me feel good anymore, i would have enjoyed a salad or a nice healthy vegetarian stir fry...

I would take that as a good lesson learned! Sometimes the idea of something is much better than the reality.
  • nafiatjohn
    nafiatjohn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do. Yesterday I was following my plan and feeling very proud of myself. Then in the afternoon I went to an art event where there was posole and chips and chocolate cake. I found myself overindulging!
    This morning I saw what "damage" was done - two and a half pounds gained - so I'm cutting back today and doing a little more exercising.
    So yeah.
  • GnosisGnosis
    Options
    I do. Yesterday I was following my plan and feeling very proud of myself. Then in the afternoon I went to an art event where there was posole and chips and chocolate cake. I found myself overindulging!
    This morning I saw what "damage" was done - two and a half pounds gained - so I'm cutting back today and doing a little more exercising.
    So yeah.

You, sir, are a badass. :)
    Keep in mind the two and a half lbs isn't necessarily fat. Eating alot of carbs increases the glycogen stores in your system and can increase the amount of water retention, so don't be too hard on yourself.

@OP - For me it's not necessarily the mental feeling that kills me as much as the physical sickness and low energy that overeating will no doubt bring with it. I try not to beat myself up about it, remember- We're only human! A positive mindset can shift mountains. But overeating can certainly shift bowels =p