Ground turkey and fecal matter

Options
1235»

Replies

• teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Great. So, now when I look at the 97% fat free label on my turkey, I'm going to think about 50% fecal matter. Thanks for putting that image in my head. :laugh:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting to hear how GMO's get in the ground turkey.

Presumably through their gullets, before the grinding.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    That's why I cook stuff.
    I'm taking it you've never eaten out of the garbage?

You made me giggle.

hqdefault.jpg
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Farmers put manure in their gardens to help vegetables grow. It's all part of the circle of life, Simba.
  • lastchancedance89
    lastchancedance89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a recipe. For once, I actually wanted to substitute cauliflower for an ingredient..

This made me laugh outloud
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Just the latest in dirty food. On my local news yesterday, they said never to buy ground turkey as they have found over 50% of it to contain fecal matter. They said this can be very dangerous for the elderly, children and compromised people. They also said more food is, namely chicken is being sent to China for processing, then sent back here, so it's hard to tell where your food comes from. With tilapia also being farm raised in filth, gmo's, pesticides and the like, it's so hard to know what to eat. I realize you can make sure to cook poultry to kill bacteria but this is getting ridiculous. Why does our Government allow this?

Wait, an unnamed local "news" station said companies somehow find it more cost effective to ship chickens to China, have them killed and/or chopped to bits and packaged, and then shipped back? I guess the anti immigrant laws are working and fuel for international transport has suddenly gotten cheaper.

read it and weep....
    You haven't read any of the other posts have you :grumble:
    Go wash your hands, or lick them.
    The human body's immune system is amazing. Look into it.
    And then wash your hands. they have been in contact with many people who have questionable hygienic habits.
    e coli and all that...

There are people without good immune systems, the elderly, children, people who have other illnesses. And, even if everyone did, it doesn't stop all the infection. Dude, some schmuck who didnt wash his hands made the burger I ate for lunch that caused my dysentary. I guess you never watched the video about where Walmart gets their chickens..China. Look into that.

Because China automatically means death?

"China does not have the best track record for food safety, and its chicken products in particular have raised questions."

from http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/31/business/chinese-chicken-processors-are-cleared-to-ship-to-us.html?_r=1&
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Firm believer in only eat what you raise (or hubby brings home from the hunts). Then you know what went into it, how it was killed, and how it was processed. Then when everyone on the news is eating poo turkey you can laugh at them.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    should this be under recopies? also, I don't think I'll be making it.
  • samhradh
    samhradh Posts: 297 Member
    Options

Hmm, now I know how you got your handle.

Because I chose it.

Turkey feed contains Soya (derived from GM source), and as most people in the USA know there is no GM free Soya.
    I have specifications from 3 feed producers that state this fact, and my Turkeys are in Ireland.
    Meat tested from GMO feed birds show altered DNA.

On faecal contamination, it is almost impossible to prevent this in the slaughterhouse. and not from the people but from the bird.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

On faecal contamination, it is almost impossible to prevent this in the slaughterhouse. and not from the people but from the bird.

Wellll, I was assuming that they were referring to turkeys, not humans. :indifferent:
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Do you have a link to any studies showing evidence of this claim?
    I'd be interested to read those. Thanks
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Hmm, now I know how you got your handle.

Because I chose it.

Turkey feed contains Soya (derived from GM source), and as most people in the USA know there is no GM free Soya.
    I have specifications from 3 feed producers that state this fact, and my Turkeys are in Ireland.

Link to the studies that prove this, please.
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Just the latest in dirty food. On my local news yesterday, they said never to buy ground turkey as they have found over 50% of it to contain fecal matter. They said this can be very dangerous for the elderly, children and compromised people. They also said more food is, namely chicken is being sent to China for processing, then sent back here, so it's hard to tell where your food comes from. With tilapia also being farm raised in filth, gmo's, pesticides and the like, it's so hard to know what to eat. I realize you can make sure to cook poultry to kill bacteria but this is getting ridiculous. Why does our Government allow this?

Wait, an unnamed local "news" station said companies somehow find it more cost effective to ship chickens to China, have them killed and/or chopped to bits and packaged, and then shipped back? I guess the anti immigrant laws are working and fuel for international transport has suddenly gotten cheaper.

read it and weep....
    You haven't read any of the other posts have you :grumble:
    Go wash your hands, or lick them.
    The human body's immune system is amazing. Look into it.
    And then wash your hands. they have been in contact with many people who have questionable hygienic habits.
    e coli and all that...

There are people without good immune systems, the elderly, children, people who have other illnesses. And, even if everyone did, it doesn't stop all the infection. Dude, some schmuck who didnt wash his hands made the burger I ate for lunch that caused my dysentary. I guess you never watched the video about where Walmart gets their chickens..China. Look into that.

Because China automatically means death?

"China does not have the best track record for food safety, and its chicken products in particular have raised questions."

from http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/31/business/chinese-chicken-processors-are-cleared-to-ship-to-us.html?_r=1&

^ this exactly......, also,what's wrong with actually, say, having Americans eat chickens raised and processed in America???
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

^ this exactly......, also,what's wrong with actually, say, having Americans eat chickens raised and processed in America???

I'm sad that I have to explain this.

The world is increasingly moving towards a global economy and market with goods being imported/exported and services being outsourced. As the U.S. market relies largely on capitalism, companies try to reduce their costs as much as possible to pass on those savings to the customer or to protect their profit margin.

Does this sometimes result in a lower quality product? Yes. Does it always? No.

Saying, "Because China!" is ignorant at best. Most/All food that comes into the U.S. is inspected and must meet a certain standard. And considering Walmart is such a large entity, they very likely will be controlling the quality as tightly as they can on the supplier side.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Why does our Government allow this?

Sequester/shutdown/underfunded programs etc. etc.

A lot of our elected officials think that a well run government is somehow not very American. :huh:
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Omg I may never eat again!
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options

You do realize that the bacteria in fecal matter is destroyed during the cooking process, right?

And GMO's are not an additive to "come in contact with". :laugh:

Obviously you did not read the actual post before you decided to make your snide and smug remarks. I did say I realized that and also, no where does it state anything about GMO's being in the turkey as you so tiresomely keep saying. Lastly, if you if you believe the US has enough manpower to adequately inspect food that comes in from China, well, have at! I'm glad you are satisfied. More power to you! Sadly, the only thing that is sad is you being boorish.