Replies

• GnosisGnosis
    Options
    Barefoot. Naked, even.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter.

Comfortable sneakers are fine. Flip flops are fine. It's not a fashion show and as long as it is comfortable, it won't affect your form.

So no problem squatting or deadlifting in running shoes? Maybe a nice comfy pair of Hokas?

:noway:
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Barefoot.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Jimmer, I also have a rack in my garage and wear chucks. Perfect combo :)

I've actually had to put it in someone else's garage temporarily, but close enough ;)

Chuck's are just enough of a shoe to get you through a cold winter lifting out there (and by cold, I mean like English cold not hardcore like, say Russian or Canadian cold!)
  • Humbugsftw
    Humbugsftw Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    In my vibrams.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Barefoot for me. I broke a bone in the side of my foot last Christmas and it swells up and hurts often. Since I ditched the trainers its been much better and I'm hoping going barefoot will make my feet stronger too
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Otomix power trainers!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I lift at home and do it barefoot.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Someone just brought it to my attention that Chucks are totally flat. I have a history of plantar fasciitis so those won't work for me after all. What would be a descent, budget friendly lifting shoe?

I'm pretty sure the point of lifting shoes is that they are suppose to be flat.

That's how it was explained to me.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    13795358_639.jpg

Those.

If you have special requirements, regular training shoes that accomodate those issues are fine. Flat and thin is just preferential for being able to drive into the ground.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Someone just brought it to my attention that Chucks are totally flat. I have a history of plantar fasciitis so those won't work for me after all. What would be a descent, budget friendly lifting shoe?

that's the point of lifting shoes
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter.

Comfortable sneakers are fine. Flip flops are fine. It's not a fashion show and as long as it is comfortable, it won't affect your form.

Who said anything about it being a fashion show? Do you even understand why a flat, hard soled shoe is ideal? :noway:
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Chuck's
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Purple Chucks.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure the point of lifting shoes is that they are suppose to be flat.

That's how it was explained to me.

Yup. You want a hard flat non compressible surface to push down on. No shoes is also an option if your gym allows.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter.

Who said anything about it being a fashion show? Do you even understand why a flat, hard soled shoe is ideal? :noway:

I'm pretty sure someone said men's dress shoes... are like excellent for lifting. so there you go- fashion.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Been liting in Chucks ever since I first tried Starting Strength. I finally ponied up the money for some weightlifting shoes from Rogue Fitness. They'll get here this week.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter.

I always enjoy wearing my pumped up basketball shoes while doing Push Presses. Nothing like my shoes wiggling around while I have a heavy weight overhead to hit those stabilizer muscles in my feet.
  • Aquarii
    Aquarii Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Chuck's. :smile:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Usually New Balance Minimus, but I have also lifted in flip flops or barefoot.