What can I do with my ground turkey(turkey mince)?

Options
I was always hearing Bob and Jillian from The Biggest Loser going on about ground turkey and how good it is...

So today I saw some in the supermarket and bought a packet of it. I have no idea what to do with it. Im fairly good in the kitchen department but am just not sure about the ground turkey. Do I use it like ground beef or pork? Does anyone have any tasty recipes I could make with it.

I would love to hear what you think.

Replies

• SundayGirl1989
    Options
    I use it in any recipe that would normally have beef mince so chilli, spaghetti bolognese, burritos and i also use it to make turkey burgers with onions/spices and a bit of cheese mixed in :)
  • jan3h
    jan3h Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I often use chicken mince to make spaghetti bolognaise, it tastes fine to me!
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    What SundayGirl said - just use it instead of ground beef. It has less "meaty" flavor than beef, so foods that have lots of spices will help it not be so bland, like chili, sloppy joes, tacos, etc.
  • Allyoopadoop
    Allyoopadoop Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Here is Bob Harper's Turkey Meatball recipe. It is FABULOUS -- 7 balls is one serving

Bob Harper’s Turkey Meatballs

Makes 4 servings

INGREDIENTS

1 lb. extra-lean ground turkey ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    3 garlic cloves, minced ½ tsp. dried oregano
    ¼ cup finely chopped onion 1 large egg, beaten
    ¼ cup chopped parsley ½ cup cooked brown rice, cooled
    ½ tsp. kosher salt Olive oil spray

DIRECTIONS

1. Combine all the ingredients except the olive oil in a large mixing bowl and shape into about 30 meatballs 1 inch across.

2. Spray a large nonstick skillet generously with olive oil.

3. Cook the meatballs for 5 to 6 minutes, working in batches if your pan is not large enough to fit them all, occasionally moving them around to brown all sides.

NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING:

213 calories, 24g protein, 8g carbs, 9.6g fat.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    People usually use it as a substitute for any other ground meat. I don't have any specific recipes for you, but you could just use it in anything you normally make with beef or pork.
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I like the Jenny-O Italian ground turkey. Has the Italian seasonings in it. I then use for chili, goulash, etc where I would use beef.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    What she said, any recipe you would typically use ground beef for. Hamburger helper, chili, taco meat, spaghetti, burgers. My husbands favorite is burgers, so I make these awesome turkey burgers, I just season the ground turkey with garlic pepper for him, and hickory smoke seasoning for mine.
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    1st off by turket breast and ground it yourself! Thats all!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    People usually use it as a substitute for any other ground meat. I don't have any specific recipes for you, but you could just use it in anything you normally make with beef or pork.

^ This. I prefer it to other meats. While I do occasionally eat beef, I won't even touch ground beef anymore. It's got all that fatty gristle that just feels gross when you chew it. Ground turkey has a nicer texture. the 99% lean has less fat, of course, but it's kind of too dry for my taste. I prefer the 93% lean. It's got just the right amount of fat. :drinker:
  • Heroness
    Options
    Thank you - I love the Bob Harper meatball recipe. I love Bob, seriously like. My plan is to make these meatballs for dinner tomorrow evening. Hmmm now I just have to think about what I will serve with them...the possibilities are endless!

I also love that I can use turkey mince as an alternative to beef or port mince in other recipes. I could eat chilli all day long.

Keep the recipes coming though - I think Im going to be buying a lot of turkey mince from now on :)
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to get into turkey like i can beef. Just watch your portion sizes.......:-)
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Turkey meatloaf! Way better than beef, you don't get that oily taste rolling off your tongue afterwards..
  • Heroness
    Options
    I live in Germany - I don't think we have Jenny-O here at all, which is a shame really as it seems there are so many products from that range all low in fat and you dont even have to think about it!

It seems to me that it is harder in Germany to do a food shop and come home with a lot of products that will make it easy for me to prepare a healthy, nutritious and low fat meal.

If there are any others living in Germany that can give me any tips, Id really appreciate it. Thanks
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I like to use 2-3 pds of low fat ground turkey for making meatballs.So handy when in the freezer.All ready to use in spaghetti sauce,or crumbled on pizza,for making soup,sloppy joes,meatball subs.Daughter uses it 1/2 & 1/2 with ground beef to make meatloaf.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Stuffed peppers!!! So easy and delicious!
  • Miss_Izz
    Options
    You can do everything with ground turkey that you do with any other ground meats.
    Depending on what your diet allows, get creative!

Ground Turkey is kind of plain, and it can get weird when you cook it..but it doesn't have a strong distinct flavor (imo) so you can pretty much make it taste like whatever tickles your fancy.
  • kathy0015
    Options
    We use it in our chili, as Burgers, in our spaghetti, make meatloaf with it. Just use it as a hamburger replacement
  • uscgmcpo
    Options
    If you season with Italian seasoning and garlic (fresh grated or minced) Then brown it, it is great in spaghetti, lasagna, and if you roll it ito small balls after adding some fennel seed it makes great "sausage" for pizza.
  • 80lbslost
    80lbslost Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The Biggest Loser black bean turkey chili is yummy. Recipe is on Jennie-O website. I'm making spaghetti squash tonight with ground turkey and Alfredo sauce.