Halloween - yay or nay?

Replies

• MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    mouse.gif
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Trick or treating is fun! Don't miss out on that. :glasses:

Extra candy can be thrown out or given away. It's okay to throw it away. :bigsmile:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Trick or treating. We go to the like 10 houses and call it a night. My husband eats about half the candy.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Take them. Enjoy the fun. Manage the candy afterwards.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Trick or treat and then have a little Halloween party at your house where you can let them have part of the candy that you brought in. :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Don't be that mom. Halloween is so much fun for kids.

This. Please this.
  • renatewolfe
    renatewolfe Posts: 91 Member
    Take them out, but take them to fewer houses. Or take them out and let them get as much as they want. If it's not eaten in a month, take it to work, or toss it, or donate it somewhere. Trick or treating is too much fun for kids!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    I buy the smallest amount of candy, let my 4 kids eat 3 pieces the night of halloween and 1 piece a day for the week after. Once they have picked the 10 total pieces out of the hundreds they get, we use the rest for the trick or treaters that come to our house.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    I would never ever rob my kids of Halloween because I don't want to eat candy and gain weight. I stay home and hand out candy and my husband takes the kids out trick-or-treating. They are only young for a short time so I let them enjoy it. I love Halloween myself.

It's all about moderation, you can have a candy here and there, don't need to eat a huge amount at once. Plus, I have to hide the candy from the kids as my youngest will eat everything if I don't, so out of site out of mind. The whole family enjoys the treats in moderation.

A lot of the older people I work with bring their leftover candy to work for all the employees. I have a friend who's son has a birthday in November and she uses some of the extra candy in the goodie bags for his birthday party. Some other people I know freeze extra candy.
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    I'm almost 25 and I still trick-or-treat. Usually, I just eat what I want from it in moderation and give the excess away to those who will enjoy it the most.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    I take them trick or treating. They enjoy the candy for a few days, and once they've forgotten about it, the rest goes off to work with hubby to be left in the office kitchen. It disappears pretty fast from there, LOL!
  • My kids love to trick or treat so I will take them out again this year. Their candy always ends up getting eaten eventually. We organize it by type.

We use some of the candy to make other things, like suckers and lifesavers into window pane cookies, candy bars into blizzards or cookies, chips into chicken coating, nacho chips into taco salad, but most of it they eat as is.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    I don't have children, but I would never miss Halloween. :drinker:
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    I took my kid trick or treating when she was just starting finger foods and too young for candy. I took her again the following year when we still had to watch out for choking hazards and she only ate two pieces of candy. I'm taking her again this year, and damn the "leftovers."

The candy's only part of the point. Find the other fun Halloween stuff, but let kids trick or treat as long as they want to.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    As stated before do not be that mom who wont take their kids trick or treating. With the leftover candy, you can donate it to be sent to the troops overseas. They love getting stuff like that, especially since they do not have access to goodies like that from home.

But, please do not deny your kids the fun of trick or treating
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    We have a local dentist who "buys" the candy for a few days after Halloween. See if your area has something like that. Or find a shelter to give it to.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    You can always donate the excess to a local shelter, childrens hospital, or the troops, many options other than not taking them out. Hit some houses then let them open your door and hand out candy to others
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    No trick or treating here because we don't do it in Australia :frown: my little girl watches so many tv shows that are American so she thinks that it is something she can do, which is a shame. If I lived in a place that did it, I would do it :smile:
  • I would say you should definitely take them trick or treating! It's a great time of the year for kids to run around in costumes and I'm sure they'll enjoy it. As for the candy, there's a lot of uses for them. Well first, you can portion them out and feed them to your kids. Your husband and yourself can also have some treats :D For me, whenever there were leftover candies, we'd just put them in a big bowl and usually by the upcoming holidays such as Thanksgiving and Christmas, they were gone. All our guests just plopped them in their mouths and that was the end of it haha :D
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Are you asking because you feel it's a waste of food, or because you're on a "fitness gurney" and now everyone else in the house has to be miserable?