Boredom During Cardio

Options
13»

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Get of the machines and into nature if you can... Most of us spend too many hours staring at 4 walls or electronic devices... I love hitting the road and running or hiking...

This...you can walk or run outside in any weather, just dress for it!
  • Jenny775
    Jenny775 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I often listen to music (either turn my computer way up, or Pandora on my phone) while on the treadmill, but sometimes it isn't quite enough to undo the boredom.

For times like those, I just watch some of my favorite YouTube channels. It's hard to believe how time can fly if you're laughing at something half the time.

YouTube! - great idea, think I'll try it :smile:
    I too get bored on the elliptical and it's becoming problematic because It's no longer challenging enough for me - and music isn't keeping me going on it! I love outdoor workouts but time and weather don't always cooperate.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I have tried the treadmill and elliptical and I just.. can't do it. Even with music, tv, etc I will be bored to tears about 5 minutes in. Last time I was on the treadmill a few weeks ago I just forced myself through it. I hated it though.

I have also tried workout cardio DVD programs (P90X, Zumba, Insanity, 10 Minute Trainer, etc) and while the routines are varied and intense, I still get bored doing repetitive moves.

So I took a break from cardio and did weight lifting exclusively. It's better, but I feel like a healthy mix of both is necessary.

So... I dusted off my PS2 console, bought some dance pads for an old school game called Dance Dance Revolution, and now I have trouble STOPPING my cardio!

Workout video games are great. I can only speak for DDR but the fast paced songs have me literally dripping sweat by the time my hour is up. Sometimes I will go 90+ minutes without realizing it. There's different modes of play (including Workout Mode, but I think the calories it estimates are too high so I only log around 60-70% of what the game tells me I burned), many varieties of songs, and the game has been out so long it's relatively inexpensive to get started.

Warning: Not for people who aren't into dorky electronic music from the early 2000's sprinkled with Jpop. Also not for people who are self conscious about their spasmy T-Rex arms flailing everywhere. But it IS for this kid:

http://youtu.be/6JzcqALklRs

^^^ this (although my choice of what cardio doesn't bore me half to death is different)

For cardio, you just have to move and keep moving and get out of breath, and keep it up for a while. You don't *have to* do machines, they're just a convenient way to get exercise for most people because they don't take up much space. If you hate them, don't do them, do some other kinds of cardio instead. Like skating, rollerblading, walking, hiking, swimming, playing team sports, playing individual sports (tennis etc), cycling, barn dancing (or square dancing if you're from the USA, or whatever other kind of dancing you're into, stair running, video games like describe above that work the whole body, exercise DVDs (you can get quite a few on you tube if you get bored doing the same ones over and over)......... just do whatever you enjoy and will stick to.