Halloween - yay or nay?

Options
124»

Replies

• sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I read this amazing thing one parents does with his family.

You sit them down after Trick or Treating, give them an hour to eat all the candy they want (which the dad says isn't as much as one might think). Then they choose three candies for the next day. The rest is tied up and left on the front porch for the "Halloween Witch". She comes during the night and turns the candy into books.

Basically, you let the kids have fun and you manage their candy intake in an educational way.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Give the candy away if it won't get eaten, but Halloween is my fondest of childhood memories. It topped Christmas in our household.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Anybody that puts a "healthy" treat in my kid's bag is getting TP'd.

Thank you.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    the girl goes out....the girl goes ALL out....even if its snowing, I'm in the car with hot chocolate and a book while she goes from house to house...

once the candy is home and examined for safety, she goes through it and picks what she loves and wants to keep...everything else is donated.

neither of us are huge candy eaters, chocolate yes, chips yes, but candy meh....

the mini chocolate bars and chips are saved for her school lunch treats,

i'm just enjoying this stage....because honestly it's just around the corner when it will be Halloween booze cruises and I have a whole other thing to worry about.
  • SmochiBanzai
    SmochiBanzai Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda confused. Are you afraid of them eating the candy and being unhealthy, or are you asking because you don't want the temptation of candy for you? You didn't explain, or I missed it. If it's the first, they're kids, and they'll burn it off. A bag of halloween candy won't ruin their chances for a healthy life. If it's the latter, just don't eat their candy. It's theirs. Maybe let them fill up one bag each and hold onto it so you can't get to it, but teach them the value of conservation. You won't buy them any more candy, so they can choose to eat it all at once, or have a little treat every so often for weeks or months! It just doesn't seem fair to impose your desires to lose weight on your kids on Halloween. Temptation will always be around, so this can be a lesson for everyone!
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    yay- if i had kids i'd take them out :)
  • JSPictures
    Options
    YES-- please take them out! The candy is not what they'll remember the most, it's the memories of that night. Memories of a fun time with YOU. I liked the idea of using the leftover for Christmas gingerbread houses. Perfect. Have a wonderful time! :)
  • imzadi481
    imzadi481 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'll take my kids trick or treating. It's fun for them, and for me! I always end up throwing out a bunch of candy too, but who cares?

Just go and have fun, even if it's only an hour.
  • sweet_blasphemy
    sweet_blasphemy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this was already mentioned because i'm too lazy to read through all the replies, but if you're worried about too much candy lying around, I know there are programs out there where you can donate excess Halloween candy to troops, probably food banks, etc... that way, the kids can have fun, but you won't have to deal with the mountain of candy afterward. I just googled "donate Halloween candy" and a bunch of stuff came back... just a thought.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this was already mentioned because i'm too lazy to read through all the replies, but if you're worried about too much candy lying around, I know there are programs out there where you can donate excess Halloween candy to troops, probably food banks, etc... that way, the kids can have fun, but you won't have to deal with the mountain of candy afterward. I just googled "donate Halloween candy" and a bunch of stuff came back... just a thought.

see my post
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Don't be a Halloween hum bug...Halloween was pretty much right up there with Christmas and my birthday when I was a kid...you can't do that to your kids. Just donate the extra candy or help them eat it.