I tested out Couch to 5k today...

Options

Replies

• TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Remember, just because the program is split into 8 weeks doesn't mean that you can't repeat tough weeks before moving on. I repeated week 2 twice before moving on and it made things a lot easier moving forward. Just get through week 5 and you're good to go.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Nicely done! You're going to love it.
  • BeefyBFit
    BeefyBFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Good stuff, congrats!
  • Amberlynnski01
    Amberlynnski01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am in week 8 of C25K! I am by no means near my weight goals, but I can run 28 minutes straight! Trust the program. It seems a little crazy once you hit week 5, but believe in it and believe in yourself. Your brain is ready to give up long before your body is. If I can do it, anyone can!:smile:
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Guys, thank you for your advice and encouragement! I officially started Week 1 Day 1 today, and I made it 7 out of 8 jogging segments! I'm psyched!
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    But I'm ready now. I need a new challenge to help me lose the rest of my weight. So what if I have to repeat weeks of C25k? I will never give up. I officially start tomorrow.

That's the spirirt. Well done.

It really does get easier - and when you nail the 5m running, 8m running - THAT'S when you feel super-proud. You think you can't, but you just get on with it and do it.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Stick with it! I started off with C25K in February of 2012. Since that time I've run six 5Ks, one 10K, a half-marathon, two triathlons, and an 8-miler. And trust me - if I can do it then anyone can. Also, if you can't complete a run - try slowing down just a little bit. Focus on logging the miles and the time on your feet, speed will come later. I had a hard time figuring this out until the program was asking me to run 1/2 mile without stopping, and I thought "That's two whole laps around the track...I can't do that! I'll die."
  • Judyls6
    Judyls6 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I also had the 5k on my bucket list. I started with the C25K, but ended up joining a gym and now I run with a group (it's a lot more fun). We started practicing last March for a 5K which we did in June and in September I did my first half marathon. My time was horrible, I walked the last 3 miles, but I finished!

I have lost 35 lbs and have another 40 lbs to go... but my new goal is doing a better job with that half marathon. :happy:
  • Maddiewin1
    Options
    I have started C25K a few times, and made it to about week 4 the last time I tried. I ended up with some tendonitis in my foot, and the breathing/wheezing part was a bit frustrating, but hoping at some point in the future to try it again and hopefully I'll make it through.

Congratulations on your accomplishments!
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Just tried it recently too! Great way to get into running or increase your speed!
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    That's great! I remember the first time I did c25k I was averaging a 16 minute mile and I thought I'd die once I got up to the 3 minute jogging parts!

Now I'm averaging just under 10 minutes per mile. It's taken me almost a year to get to this point but I've really grown to love it! Hope you'll stick with it. You'll be amazed by what you can do!
  • Be11adonna
    Be11adonna Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Good on you! I like your attitude.
    I started with C25K and failed the first time round, as week 7 scared the hell out of me running for 28 min non-stop :noway: After a good talking to myself, I restarted and finished it last May. I LOVE running now and do 5K three times a week and looking at bridge to 10K:wink:

Keep at it and good luck.
  • Ange352lm
    Options
    I never played sports or did any running/jogging before. I started the couch to 5K program this past August and I ran my first 5K last Sunday! The key is to jog during the program NOT run! You start off slow and build your endurance. I remember doing week one and thinking, "I will never get past this point" but you do and you CAN!! This program really works and it helped me lose weight and shape-up!! Good luck to you and anyone who is starting the program!!
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I just finished the 8 minute runs in week 5 and I feel like a rock star. The trick is to jog really really slowly at first. I don't jog much faster than I walk (and if I'm going up a hill, I jog slower than I walk.)
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I encourage you to stick with the program. I have never been a "runner" and week 1 day 1 was a nightmare for me. I finished the program and needless to say, I now call myself a runner! It was hard. Extremely hard. but i stuck with it and am so glad that i did. It still is very hard for me, especially the first 10 minutes or so but i continue hoping that soon it will become easy. Good luck and keep it up!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I started C25k this time last year. When I started I couldn't run for the bus, and at the end of almost every workout I felt like I was about to have a heart attack. But I got through it.

12 months on I can run a sub-24 minute treadmill 5k, and a ~25 minute outdoor 5k (on hills). I recently started running 10ks too.

The program works, if you trust it. Repeat weeks if you need to, but just keep at it. The results will come.
  • inspirezme
    inspirezme Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just started (and finished) week one yesterday. It surprised me how much I enjoyed it! I've signed up for a holiday 5K on December 8th so that I have a set goal in mind and invested in having my stride analyzed to buy a really good pair of shoes. I think my biggest challenges will be adapting to being outside as it gets colder/darker after work and having the energy to lace up the sneakers after a tiring day at work. Good luck to you!
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    great job! i started with this program in august 2012 and now i can run 11 miles straight! you can do it!!
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I just finished the 1st week (I am going slow- I have been doing each day twice before moving on), but I am LOVING it. Never thought in a million years I would like running. It's funny, during the run I'm like, OMG, WTF! Then when it's over, I can't wait to do it again.

I usually run either on the fairgrounds track or our local walking trail, but went to the gym to use the treadmill one time last week because I had to put it off until after dark. I'm going to be sad when I have to move it indoors, but if it's over 40 F outside and not snowing, I will be outside!!! Good luck and so great that you have reached this point!

-Kendra
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! I am just finishing my C25K challenge (only 2 weeks left)! Just a tip if your interested... don't focus on speed... just jog lightly and focus on your breathing. Also.. the first 4 weeks might seem impossible to you but honestly week 5-8 and easy!!! You can do it!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!