Why am I gaining weight?

Options

Replies

• StaciieeG
    Options
    If I eat more calories will I gain weight though? The last thing I want to do I gain more weight
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I've probably gained about 10 pounds over the past three months. My friends say it's muscle but still I'm not happy with it.

With your protein intake so low there is no way you are gaining muscle.
  • StaciieeG
    Options
    Wow I didn't even realize that! Thank you so much
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I've probably gained about 10 pounds over the past three months. My friends say it's muscle but still I'm not happy with it.

Yah no you can't gain muscle on a deficet ....

If you are gaining you are underestimating your intake or not logging everything. Some of it could be water retention but not all of it.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think?hl=More+than+you+think

Buy a scale, use it on a school break or holiday to learn real portions. Apply that when it is difficult to measure at school.

You are probably just going to have to become a better estimator. Set a more realistic calorie goal, but then overestimate your intake some to get closer to an accurate estimate. Use scale weight trends to track your accuracy and adjust your "calories," which will always be a guess anyway, so the scale goes down steadily.

Run far away from anyone who mentions starvation mode.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

I would seriously doubt that you've gained 10 lbs of muscle in 3 months. That would be unrealistically high even for a guy.
    The nut butter and peanuts I have and eat in my dorm room so I can measure it out there.

Are you measuring the peanut butter with a tablespoon, or zeroing it out on a scale to measure in grams? It's very hard to measure accurately with a spoon. Make sure your spoon isn't heaping.
    Ok thanks! But isn't it weird to bring a scale into a cafeteria?

Maybe. Is not being weird more important to you than weightloss? :)
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Because you aren't doing something right.
  • StaciieeG
    Options
    Sorry. I thought they were wrong
  • StaciieeG
    Options
    I didn't think it was muscle anyways. Thanks :)
  • StaciieeG
    Options
    Haha I didn't think it was muscle anyways. I am afraid to bump up my intake because I don't want to gain
  • ImRemko
    ImRemko Posts: 34 Member
    Options

I would seriously doubt that you've gained 10 lbs of muscle in 3 months. That would be unrealistically high even for a guy.
    It's probably still on the high end if you take the gains of 3 guys combined :P
  • StaciieeG
    Options
    I don't eat a LOT of nuts by choice, I try to eat what I can find that is gluten free so I can get around 1200 cals in for the day.
  • StaciieeG
    Options
    I'm sorry it's just something my friends suggested! I feel like a fatass everyday if it makes you feet any better
  • susannamarie
    Options
    Continuing on for another possible source of error: I see that you have popcorn (which you eat frequently) listed as 'five cups popped gives 100 calories'. That seems unrealistically low -- to the point where either the cup measure or the calorie count is off.
  • alanlmarshall
    Options
    I don't eat a LOT of nuts by choice, I try to eat what I can find that is gluten free so I can get around 1200 cals in for the day.

Are the nuts jumping in your mouth against your will? :smile:

Fresh fruits and vegetables are gluten free, eat them instead. Many can be kept unrefridgerated for several days.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    The macros on the Dollar General popcorn in your diary are WAY off. There's no way a 5-cup bag has 85g carbohydrate, 35g fat, 10g protein--and only 100 calories! That sounds more like number of calories from each macro, not grams. I'm guessing they should be closer to 21g carb, 4g fat, 3g protein, and about 120 calories for the bag.
  • susannamarie
    Options
    I'm sorry it's just something my friends suggested! I feel like a fatass everyday if it makes you feet any better

Nobody is yelling at you about that -- they're just telling you that your friends are wrong.

You can expect to see people respond to that several more times, because people frequently read just the first page of a thread and then start answering.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    While I know the topic of this is losing weight, I think you should really focus on how you feel about yourself. You sound scared to death to gain any weight at all, even if it would only be temporary and would eventually result in a loss down the road (from adjusting your calories). 140 pounds at 5'7 is very normal. Not anywhere near over weight, not under weight either. Since you're within a healthy range, I'd just focus on being healthy- exercise, eating healthy, etc- and weight loss will follow
  • alanlmarshall
    Options

Read this if you haven't yet, OP. (I linked it earlier as well)