What do vegetarians have as protein?

Options
I need help. Being a vegetarian, I want to know what are the good sources of protein we can take? Mushrooms are one, isn't it? Legumes too. But legumes seems to be high in calories too. What else do you people have?

Thanks.

Replies

• OceanBlue08
    Options
    Bumping. Suggestions needed.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Not a vegetarian, but here's a short list:
    Mushrooms; Beans, Lentils and Legumes; Tofu; Cheese; Eggs; Nuts; Protein powders/supplements; and Quinoa/Whole grains

Bon appetit
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian... I eat eggs, cheese, soy products, tempeh and protein powder. I like legumes as well, but don't eat them often. I just received my order of quest bars in the mail, so that'll up my daily protein intake as well, though I will probably only eat them a few times a week.
  • jennybennypenny
    jennybennypenny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Seconding Quest bars--they're delicious, but a little pricey. I am not a vegetarian, but cottage cheese, eggs, protein powder are in my protein arsenal.
  • sharingan_tattoo
    sharingan_tattoo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This website helped me a lot when I became a vegetarian.

http://www.chooseveg.com/foodplate

Though, they may seem high in calories, legumes seem to provide a lot of protein, and also other essential vitamins. It's worth it. Nuts are good for protein, but watch your intake. Beans, soy products, lentils, whole grains (Pasta, rice). Cheese and dairy products do provide protein, but also a lot of fat.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and now on your FL. You can look at my diary. :) 3-4 weeks back will be better. I've been quite slack lately...Getting back on it though...
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    CHEESE - it's what's for dinner
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt - low in fat, LOTS of protein.

Morningstar products - they're tasty, and they ROCK!

Beans - fish (if you eat fish)

Eggs
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian, but I don't eat much meat. The vast majority of my protein comes from eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, soy/almond milks, nuts, hummus, and veggies.
  • SierraUnsweet
    Options
    Beans,cheese,soy,nuts,dairy.
  • sirduckbutt
    sirduckbutt Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, and I get most of my protein from cottage cheese. It's pretty low-calorie and delicious as hell!
  • archoo_letsdothis
    archoo_letsdothis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    dal / lentils - 1 cup is a little calorie dense, but will have a lot of servings when cooked.

tofu, mushrooms , whey powder , protein bar, cheese , nuts.

but mainly lentils and legumes. - Soooo many kinds and sooo many different ways to make them.

my fav - toor dal, channa ( from which you make falafel) , black beans.
    yummmmm

eggs do not really qualify as vegetarian. But if your diet allows it, they are so yum and you can get creative.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Beans - fish (if you eat fish)

ARGHHHHHHH!

If you eat fish you are NOT a vegetarian. Really.

For protein all the suggestions (apart from fish) are good but I'd agree with those who said don't avoid legumes, good for you and filling as well.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    Some things that I eat for protein

Seitan
    Greek yoghurt
    milk
    cottage cheese
    Quorn
    Tofu
    peanut butter
    chickpeas
    cheddar cheese
    eggs
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, nuts/seeds, eggs, dairy, tofu, beans, tempeh, seitan, protein supplements (bars or powders) made from egg/milk or plant based/vegan, the list goes on and on...

I'm pescatarian, so I also eat fish. I chose not to go "full" vegetarian because I was concerned about my protein intake.
  • livelaughlove384
    Options
    lentils are fantastic as they are a complex protein, tofu, soy beans (which have more protein than tofu), eggs, cheese, greek yogurt, meat substitutes, legumes, the new pasta from barilla contains a decent amount of protein, milk
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Other vegetarians?
  • agann0n
    Options
    good tips! As someone trying to up my protein but has trouble with eating meat (not vegetarian, just loves carbs). I get sick of turkey pepperoni and deli meat.. .and that's all high in preservatives.

never thought about lentils, maybe some quinoa too?
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    beans, greens, nuts, seeds, and just most fruits and veggies have some protein in them, tofu. A lot of things you wouldn't expect have protein in it. I don't consider eggs vegetarian because they were aborted chickens, but that's up to you.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I don't consider eggs vegetarian because they were aborted chickens, but that's up to you.

Eh? Most eggs sold in grocery stores in the US are unfertilized. Egg farmers simply keep the hens without roosters, and hens lay eggs whether they've been fertilized or not.

Where did you get the idea that they're "aborted chickens"?