Smoothie FAILURE

Options

Replies

• fitchickarw
    fitchickarw Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I start with a low calorie, low sugar, non-gmo protein powder and 8 oz unsweetened almond milk for my base. I stick with low sugar add-ins like frozen berries, pumpkin, cocoa, etc. and ice.

Smoothies can be just was unhealthy as a a stack of pancakes at your local greasy spoon. Just because you use 100% fruit juice doesn't mean you're not over doing it with the sugar and calories. Those "drinkable" meals can pack over 500 calories a pop if you're not careful.

If you are intersted, you can take a look at my website to see what I use; or, can friend me on FB and ask questions. My husband and I have been trainers and done nutritional counseling for years. If there's one common issue, it's that we (as a country) over-complicate everything and if we would only go back to the basics, we'd all be healthier (physically and financially) for it. <3

trainhardlivewell.myvi.net

FB: Angel Walter Tewell (my picture is my back)
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Check out the website "Simple Green Smoothies." Most of thier recipes are really good. I especially like the "A Sweet Pear."
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I find anytime i mix oatmeal in a smoothie i don't like it. And i LOVE oatmeal, just not in a smoothie. It gives it a horrible texture!
  • mi18agnes
    Options
    Not to be mean... but how exactly did you fail at that?

Apples, bananas, honey?

The only thing I think is that maybe you mistakenly picked up something other than cinnamon and wasn't paying attention. I can't imagine how the ingredients you listed could be horrible when combined.

I added 30g of oats!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    strawberries in sugar frozen. (purchased from store that way.)

put in blender.

add enough milk to cover strawberries.

blend.

that's it.

Find recipes on well known websites posted by the site. once you get experienced with some fave's for awhile you can start tinkering with them in general i like half frozen fruit, half liquid a sweetener like honey or sugar, and then maybe an extra like peanut butter, or vanilla extract or a teaspoon instant coffee or whatnot. putting an apple in there seemed like a bad idea. oats too. just sayin'. i would never stick an apple in my smoothie it seems like it would ruin the texture. any frozen veggies in a bag from the store though should work out well.

ETA: sometimes when bananas look like their about to go bad I peel and freeze them and use them as my base for a smoothie replacing the strawberry. If you use yogurt, it replaces the milk. Juice as well.
  • stacygwalters
    stacygwalters Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Did you freeze your banana? I like to make a simple smoothie from time to time. You might google the recipe. When I have banana's that are getting too ripe, I will slice them up & freeze them then throw them in the blender with a spoon full of peanutbutter & a little milk. Simple and easy. I've added a little honey to it before as well and it adds a little sweetness. I've started using Almond milk and plan to use it in place of 2% next time.
  • mi18agnes
    Options
    I find anytime i mix oatmeal in a smoothie i don't like it. And i LOVE oatmeal, just not in a smoothie. It gives it a horrible texture!

Exactly!!! Lesson learned
  • mi18agnes
    Options
    Thank you SO much
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    I'm a genius. Milk, protein powder, frozen fruit.

FTFY
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Not to be mean... but how exactly did you fail at that?

Apples, bananas, honey?

The only thing I think is that maybe you mistakenly picked up something other than cinnamon and wasn't paying attention. I can't imagine how the ingredients you listed could be horrible when combined.

I added 30g of oats!
    I'm thinking banana and apple are not very complimentary flavors, either.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I have a NutirBullet and have 2 smoothies a day. If your smoothie is not tasty .. then it is all about what you put in there. I once used broccoli .. and it was terrible. Like YUCK. So I have learned that more fruit and less veggies goes a long way to making them taste better.

I use .. baby carrots, plain yogourt and frozen fruit. (Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries and Blueberries)
  • mjkanaan
    mjkanaan Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The "Simple Green Smoothies" website is definitely the place to look. So many awesome recipes, and I've tried things I never thought I would try before and have loved them!!! I'm doing the 30 day challenge right now, so they've e-mailed me new recipes every week that aren't even on the website and it's opened up my eyes to new things and experiences, and I've even gotten my incredibly picky 13 year old daughter to try the green smoothies and she loves them! That speaks volumes!!! :happy:
  • mi18agnes
    Options
    I have a NutirBullet and have 2 smoothies a day. If your smoothie is not tasty .. then it is all about what you put in there. I once used broccoli .. and it was terrible. Like YUCK. So I have learned that more fruit and less veggies goes a long way to making them taste better.

I use .. baby carrots, plain yogourt and frozen fruit. (Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries and Blueberries)

Baby carrots? never thought of that... Do you think it would work? I think I'm gonna go for frozen fruit
  • mi18agnes
    Options
    I'm a genius. Milk, protein powder, frozen fruit.

FTFY

Genius!! Thanks for your opinion :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I only make smoothies for my protein powder, but you can omit it if you aren't interested in protein powders.

Banana milk-shake-type smoothie

1 frozen banana
    1 cup of non-fat milk
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder

Orange Julius-type smoothie

1/4 can of frozen orange juice concentrate
    1 cup of orange juice
    2 tbsp vanilla greek yogurt

Perhaps you just need to keep your smoothies simple.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    frozen fruit, yogurt, and honey or sugar
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Frozen banana Coconut milk (or almond milk) flax seeds and one spoon all nat peanut butter (met rx powder if you want protein)
  • mi18agnes
    Options
    I only make smoothies for my protein powder, but you can omit it if you aren't interested in protein powders.

Banana milk-shake-type smoothie

1 frozen banana
    1 cup of non-fat milk

Orange Julius-type smoothie

1/4 can of frozen orange juice concentrate
    1 cup of orange juice
    2 tbsp vanilla greek yogurt

Perhaps you just need to keep your smoothies simple.

After reading everything, I realised that too, I was complicating
  • emalinemartin
    emalinemartin Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Blueberries and bananas
    or
    Pineapple, strawberries and orange juice. (my fav)
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I always use coconut milk (usually around a cup), a cup of any type of frozen fruit mixture, 1/4 cup low fat vanilla Greek yogurt, and a dash of honey. It's pretty amazing. My fave frozen fruit is mango. So delicious :)