I guess I was a little off

Options

Replies

• FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Cereal. So now I just buy weetabix. It's really low in sugar, and it saves measuring.
  • PoisonDartFrog
    PoisonDartFrog Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I measure everything with significant calories....I eyeball things with minimun calories....
    Eyeball....lettuce, raw spinach, arugula, shreadded carrots, black coffee, water. jarred spices added to cooking

I measure
    oil, salad dressing, recipe quantities (other than spices), etc.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    VODKA... 1 0Z IS SO MUCH MORE THAN I THOUGHT IT WAS.... HOORAY!:drinker:
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    pretty much everything! I've started eating things in my measuring cups. Dual purpose, now I know I've measured correctly, and won't dirty a bowl! :-)

lol, I think I'll need to start this as well
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If you're eating out of measuring cups, you're doing it wrong. They can be up to 30% inaccurate.

I never use measuring cups. I weigh everything. And even after 9 months of that, I still fail at eyeballing most of the time.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    pretty much everything! I've started eating things in my measuring cups. Dual purpose, now I know I've measured correctly, and won't dirty a bowl! :-)

Best post of the day! Reminds of my bachelor days :-) Eat out of different dishes until there are no more left and you have to wash them!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If you're eating out of measuring cups, you're doing it wrong. They can be up to 30% inaccurate.

I never use measuring cups. I weigh everything. And even after 9 months of that, I still fail at eyeballing most of the time.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    i tended to overestimate butter and salad dressing

and way underestimate pasta and wine
  • jontay81
    jontay81 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale and weigh it out. It's much more accurate.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I've been weighing almost everything in grams right from the start, so I haven't been surprised by much. But I used to measure peanut butter by the tablespoon. Now I weigh it, and it's amazing how the weighed serving does not even come close to filling the physical tablespoon.

I also thought about eating some hummus yesterday. When I weighed out a serving, I decided that it wasn't even worth eating it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything...but I've gotten a lot better over the last year or so...I can eyeball it and throw it on the scale and I'm usually within a couple grams for most things these days. I still throw it on the scale though...cheese is very tempting to eyeball a little extra.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I keep overestimating cheese, which is a good thing!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

I don't do measuring cups, I find they are just as much off too.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Probably most off on coffee creamer.

Truthfully I'm probably WAY off with wine. I, however, will never measure wine.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options

I've read a lot about weighing vs. measuring cups, and I do weigh all my meats, but I just prefer my measuring cups. I've not had a plateau and I'm down 40lbs, so I would say that the inaccuracy hasn't been an issue for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I've read a lot about weighing vs. measuring cups, and I do weigh all my meats, but I just prefer my measuring cups. I've not had a plateau and I'm down 40lbs, so I would say that the inaccuracy hasn't been an issue for me.
    When I was counting I didn't weigh either. I felt that learning what worked with measuring cups was more sustainable in real life, since I'll never have a scale at restaurants.
    But again, ymmv.
  • Nico_the_enabler
    Nico_the_enabler Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I underestimated fish, over estimated cheese. but by far the worst... gravy. I am Not going to separate it from the casserole meat to weigh or measure it. lol. But I am going to eat ALL THE GRAVY. jus saying. lol
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options

Once again, I'm losing weight and haven't stalled, so although weighing is definitely more accurate, if it's important to lump people into the right or wrong category with nothing in-between, using measuring cups hasn't been detrimental to my weight loss.

I think when going on this weight loss journey we all need to find what works best for creating a lifestyle. We also need to be flexible so if I find myself stalling out I will make adjustments and consider weighing more often. I do weigh meat, and oddly, french fries ;-)
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options

Once again, I'm losing weight and haven't stalled, so although weighing is definitely more accurate, if it's important to lump people into the right or wrong category with nothing in-between, using measuring cups hasn't been detrimental to my weight loss.

I think when going on this weight loss journey we all need to find what works best for creating a lifestyle. We also need to be flexible so if I find myself stalling out I will make adjustments and consider weighing more often. I do weigh meat, and oddly, french fries ;-)

Agreed, if something doesn't work for you, you're not gonna stick with it in the long run
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    actually vegetables.

I am a vegetarian and I eat a lot of salads and stirfrys. I used to use measuring cups for most of my veggies and I was losing weight, so it was a non issue, but I was worried that I wasn't eating enough (logged about 1100 calories a day, I am small so again not as disastrous as it might sound, and I was full and full of energy). I had always weighed cheese and avocado, so I thought I might as well go all out. I started weighing and all of a sudden I was actually logging 1350-1450 every day and that difference was all vegetables. So yeah, I was a little off too :-)