Chocolate and child slavery

Options
meeper123
meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
I had no idea that this was even a thing until I saw this site, and after some research sure enough.

Here they have a list of products that don't use Child slavery to get their chocolate.

http://www.foodispower.org/chocolate-list/

Replies

• vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    If you are a regular American consumer and decide you want to worry about the welfare of the people who are making your consumables, you might just want to move to PA and live next to the Amish.

Capitalism is based on finding the cheapest production cost. Ignorance is bliss as they say.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    The oil you're using that isn't from US or Canada, thats slave labor. Research abotu slave labor in middle east.

The cotton you're using thats from India or Pakistan, thats slave labor.

The toys and other products you're using thats made in China, thats slave labor

The fruits you consume that're from U.S.A, thats a result of slave labor.

Stop trying to make everything a hype. While working at a gas station I had some lady walk up to me and gave me a list telling me which gas station to buy my gas from. Apparently some companies buy their gas from middle east while others buy only American oil. And buying gas from middle east was unpatriotic and we were supporting terrorists by buying Muslim gas. Making such statements only make you look silly so I would avoid such things.
  • meeper123
    Options
    I was just sharing information that I found. Everyone has to do their part somehow or did I poke your conscience too hard?

I don't own a car
    I buy only local produce.
    I will look into the cotton
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I was just sharing information that I found. Everyone has to do their part somehow or did I poke your conscience too hard?

I don't own a car
    I buy only local produce.
    I will look into the cotton

Didn't poke anything, but you are using an electronic device made in the far east. If you are throwing stones you might want to avoid living in a glass house.

What we are trying to kindly point out is, while we realize you are trying to do your part or poke our conscience too hard, it might be worth it that you self reflect and practice what you preach.
  • meeper123
    Options
    I wasn't trying to preach I saw this was like da *kitten* and posted it. It is up to you what you want to do with it from here.
  • IhScoutII
    IhScoutII Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Ok I'll bite...what's your end game here? What are you trying to get everyone to do here?
  • meeper123
    Options
    I was just sharing information. I didn't know, and thought others might not as well.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I'll still eat all the chocolate I want, but thanks anyways.

There's a lot on the internet, some true, some not so true. child slavery chocolate isn't the biggest issue I have to deal with right now.
  • meeper123
    Options
    I'll still eat all the chocolate I want, but thanks anyways.

There's a lot on the internet, some true, some not so true. child slavery chocolate isn't the biggest issue I have to deal with right now.

Hope your issues work out. :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Ok I'll bite...what's your end game here? What are you trying to get everyone to do here?

Not support the exploitation and slavery of children. But it'll be difficult in those countries as I dont think you'll see the labor revolution that we had here in the states. The money and corruption is too great, and as our dollar becomes tighter I dont see a very positive light for labor.
  • IhScoutII
    Options

Not support the exploitation and slavery of children. But it'll be difficult in those countries as I dont think you'll see the labor revolution that we had here in the states. The money and corruption is too great, and as our dollar becomes tighter I dont see a very positive light for labor.
    How are the company's enslaving said children? Do they buy them at a auction? No the people exploiting and enslaving these children are their parents and in some cases country by making them work...but if they didn't work for these company's where would the get the money to feed themselves and their family's? The reason they have anything at all is because these company's are there. And why are they there....because the country has zero labor laws so they can pay low wages and make money...the whole reason they are in business. If these country's had laws like the US nobody would want to open a factory there because it would not be profitable and then the poor kids would have no money for food.

I'll keep doing my part to make sure the kids can eat by buying some chocolate :drinker:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    are you sure those are children and not Keebler elves?
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options

I don't think she has an end game. She found something she thought was interesting so she posted it. If you care, great. If not, thats fine too.

No where in her post did she tell anyone NOT to eat chocolate....Or even to ONLY eat chocolate from the companies on that list. She simply posted the list for those who care.

Hop off.
  • IhScoutII
    Options
    are you sure those are children and not Keebler elves?

Crap never thought of that!! I love those little *kitten*!! Now I'm buying double the amount :)
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options

Extracted from site: "Companies such asNestlé, Mars, and others are culpable, but are not listed as they do not make vegan products."

Too generalised lacking specificity. Nestle buys organic cacao from family owned farms(such as mine) in countries where child labour is illegal and is enforced. Those who think to break the law will feel the brunt of militarised action.

ETA: A child in my country of ethnicity where my immediate family owns 1000's acres of cacao plantation, defines a child as anyone under the age of 18 for work and 21 for adult activities(fun ~ drinking alcohol and sex). The military would LOVE to shut us down.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    *shrugs* In some places, the only thing worse than child labor is not letting kids work.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm still going to eat all the chocolate...

...but I'll just feel bad about it while I do now...

...so thanks for that.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    *shrugs* In some places, the only thing worse than child labor is not letting kids work.

Tiny hands pick the best pods anyway. *shrug*
  • Inspired30
    Inspired30 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Meeper - thanks for sharing. lt is really sad to see how many a**holes there are in the world, including a lot of the posts in reply to this topic. I just hope if any of them have children, their children are never forced into child slavery. There is not a lot a parent can do when their children are taken from them at gunpoint.... but here is to people laughing off child slavery and having more pressing issues to worry about, probably like why their dry cleaning won't be done until Thursday instead of Wednesday.....first world problems:drinker:
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Meeper - thanks for sharing. lt is really sad to see how many a**holes there are in the world, including a lot of the posts in reply to this topic. I just hope if any of them have children, their children are never forced into child slavery. There is not a lot a parent can do when their children are taken from them at gunpoint.... but here is to people laughing off child slavery and having more pressing issues to worry about, probably like why their dry cleaning won't be done until Thursday instead of Wednesday.....first world problems:drinker:

You should research child labor. You are taking one example (re: gunpoint) and applying it to all child labor. You only understand one very emotionally appealing side of this issue. It is actually very, very complex.

I encourage you to research this topic.
This discussion has been closed.