WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2013

Options

Replies

• Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday.

I'm battling another migraine. I wish there was more I could do to control them but no dr has come up with a way that works. I'm at work with the blinds closed. Boss is on the road today so it's quiet here. Excedrin Migraine is the only thing that works. I think it was Meg that mentioned that Excedrin Extra Strength is the same thing but they don't sell that up here either. I wish they did, it would make my life a little easier. :happy:

Tomorrow is my dr's appt to get a note to continue working with a personal trainer. I hate going to the dr and avoid it as much as possible.

Yannie – What a day you had yesterday, so sorry to hear about your friend. She is my thoughts & prayers. You are such a great friend.

Linda in Severn Bridge – you are not too far from me. I’m in Oshawa. Congrats on the 5 mile walk!!

Pat – yay for you getting your flu shot. Every penny helps in fighting breast cancer, so good for you

Meg – I hope Benny is feeling better, poor thing. How was it having DD#1 there, hanging out? I love it when my DS comes by for a meal and to hang out with me or his sis.

Sue in SD – wow you did have a busy weekend and sounds like a very productive one too.

Michelle – I agree, much more flexible in the water. I can move much more freely in the water and I absolutely love being in the pool. Do you find the deep water class more of a workout?

Heather – it is rude that he hasn’t been around about your car. Wow, a 3 min plank? That’s awesome. I can only do about 30 seconds. Oh I love getting flowers too! Yay

Grandmallie – not gaining (esp when eating out so much) is a great accomplishment. Good for you. What an awesome NSV! I bet it made you feel good. Take care of your neck & shoulder.

Tina- yay for doing so well at your DD’s dinner….look how far we have come! :happy:

Suzy – wow 24,000 steps, good for you! I’m lucky to hit 7,500 in a day. My work is a very small place so not many steps during the day.

It's a bit chilly here today but it's still nicer then snow & winter :laugh:

Have a great day!

:heart: Sandy from ON
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    It is sunny but cold right now, and I know DH will be spending time working on his boat. We made an apple dessert last night that we really like, but we’re having a hard time figuring out the calories, so my first task of the day is to enter it into the computer and see how it adds up. The dessert is apple pie filling in a custard cup with a pie crust only on top. The apple pie numbers that come up on MFP don’t seem close to realistic. It makes a yummy dessert. This morning it made a yummy breakfast with an added slice of cheddar cheese. :bigsmile: The skinny jeans are going back. :grumble: I tried them on with my boots and the knees still bagged, although not as much. Next time I shop for skinny jeans I'll wear the boots so I can see what works and what doesn't.:wink:

Heather: I’m wondering how you acquire partridges. Do you have to hunt them, or are they available from partridge growers at the market? I’ve never seen them here, but we do buy Cornish Game Hens at the market. They look like little chickens and the taste is similar but not the same. They’re usually sold frozen.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: I once ordered a comforter and pillow shams from JC Penney. One of the shams didn’t match, so I sent them back and ordered shams from the same dye lot as the quilt. The next ones matched perfectly. I love the comforter and shams. I bought another set in a different color for our guest room. I was very specific in my order that the dye lot needed to match. No problems the second time.:flowerforyou:

Sandy: I’m sorry you strained your neck and shoulder. I hope your pain eases quickly. I hurt mine back in February when I fell down the sidewalk steps. I was bringing in the garbage cans and one of them fell by rolling out from under itself and pulling me down three steps. It took its own sweet time to heal, but I’ve been back to full use for a long time. It still notice the injury is there; I can hear crunching sounds. It doesn’t hurt and I have full motion. I kept on exercising and going to yoga without missing a day but I babied it for a while. I had trouble finding a comfortable position to sleep for weeks.:tongue:

Yanniejannie: Your friend is very lucky to have you as a friend. You saved her life by calling the ambulance.:flowerforyou:

Pat: Congrats on getting your flu shot. I’ve had mine but DH is still procrastinating.:ohwell:

Sue in SD: I envy your ability to sing in the choir. What a lovely gift.:flowerforyou:

Cheryl: If you’re thinking of going for movie stars, I think you should consider Redford since your guy’s a sorrel. (I do know that Robert Redford is blonde.):flowerforyou:

Heather: I love the phrase “attitude of gratitude.” What an excellent outlook.:bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

October goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
    3. Drink at least 4 glasses of water daily.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Mon.Think the rest day helped,the pain is minimal today.
    Cold-40`s today.
    HUGS
    jane(IL)
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies! It's 1pm here, and it's chilly outside. It looks like rain. I've had no energy at all so have not done anything all day. I sat in my chair with my puppy on my lap listening to an audiobook. Then went to lunch with hubby. I took my baked chicken and carrots and we went through a drive-thru for his lunch and sat in the parking lot eating. I think that works out pretty well, since I can have my diet lunch and he can have whatever he wants and I still get to spend time with him.

Meg - I was delighted to hear about the pro-football ref when she was in the news recently. I don't really like football, but if I knew she would be working I would watch just for that. Good for her!

Barbie - we don't have a senior center here, but there is a group of older ladies (and one man) who sometimes sit in the lobby at the Y playing mahjongg. I've never asked to join though.

Suzy - I was in the AF for 6 years. I got out in 1980 so I'm older than you. I was married to a real jerk at the time, and if it had not been for him I might have stayed in for 20. I was in law enforcement and liked my job and was good at it. I outranked him (he did not do well on promotion tests) and sometimes I had to tell him what to do at work, which he did not like. He wanted a "real wife". So, he badgered me to gain weight and get out on the overweight program. I did, and then he sabotaged every attempt I made to lose the weight. When he eventually divorced me to marry his pregnant girlfriend, who also outranked him, I asked him why and he said "look at you, you're such a pig". And at the time I was about 170 pounds. He would have laughed his butt off if he had seen me at 300 lbs. I used to think of my fat as "jerk repellent". But as far as being in the Air Force, I hardly remember it at this point. It's like something I read in a book somewhere. I know it happened, but the memory has faded. I should add that his divorcing me was the best thing that could have happened. Twelve years later I met a wonderful man who loves me no matter what and would never hurt me. It was worth all I went through to get there.

Well, have a great evening everybody!

Sylvia
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much Michelle, I did see your post in time. So I ordered the tostada with black beans, cheese on the side. I did sprinkle a little bit of the cheese on, just light sprinkles. I can honestly say that I have never eaten refried beans before because of what it looks like. So the back beans was something new to me. I don't know if they are supposed to be a little hot as in spicy or not but something was hot in that dish. It was hard to eat it since the tostada itself was so soft it couldn't be rolled and the amount of beans on top wouldn't have let me do that anyway. So I ate about half of it. And it was hot enough I drank 2 glasses of water. So I came home and ate some carrots and an apple.

Joyce
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,367 Member
    Options
    Katla - normally people go hunting for partridge. My cleaner is a "beater" on Mondays and had to change her cleaning day to Thursday. I just saw them when I was in my local butcher and decided to give them a go. I googled how to cook them. DH did it.

My planking is now 3 minutes, but when I began I could NOT get off the floor at all. Then I only managed a few seconds and was delighted! ! ! ! Slow but sure. Keep at it.

Grandmalie - what a wonderful NSV! I would be walking on air!

Today I booked the hotel for January, when we are going up to London for my friend's 60th. It is a medium priced one, but walking distance from the party venue. Excellent, as it may be a late finish. I also booked two gallery exhibitions. Unfortunately the restaurant we wanted is closed for kitchen refurbishment in January, so I had a rethink and decided on one my son likes. When I rang they are not taking bookings for Jan until 1st Nov at 9 am. I will be on the phone then. I emailed them to make sure there is no music. There isn't. All that organising cheered me up no end.!:laugh: DH says we can go to Sri Lanka the year after. Yeah!

My flat agents rang me up to say the window can not be repaired.:sad: I told them to ring up the freeholders to check the proposed new window was OK. She rang back to say they will do an inspection before end tomorrow as it is structural. I'm glad I insisted. If I get the window wrong I will only have to replace it or have trouble getting certificates when it comes to selling. I feel at last the agents are earning all the money I pay them to manage. Usually I think I am paying them for doing nothing! But I am very happy to hand over all the hassle.

Hope we get the car prang sorted tomorrow.

Love to all. Heather UK
  • tazgirl1960
    tazgirl1960 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Michele--I hope you are down here longer as well, we would have a grand time. It would make eating out with good choices fun.:laugh:

Tina in Florida
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Meg - Gable. I'll have to toss that one around awhile. My older blue eyed horse is named Newmann.

Oh Yannie, what a day. Glad your friend is recovering.

Skuehn - thanks, I definitely think he's a keeper. Rode my first long ride on him today. Didn't like the fast loud freight trains much but didn't do anything stupid. Lots of compliments on his look.

Michele you are such a busy woman, no wonder you forgot your popcorn stringing.

yoyo - you must take your friend up on her offer and ride a horse soon (it burns lots of calories!)

Molly, you may get tired of horse pictures :)

Duh, over 50 brain. I typed all of the above last night and never hit post reply.
  • AnneCarolOne
    AnneCarolOne Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hey Kalley, Here's something you might want to check out with your doctor! years ago, I was watching a news item by a doctor who was talking about an interesting study involving an asmah medication called Singulair.. It seems that one of the beneficial side effects is that it helps to prevent migraines in many patients, if taken on a daily basis! I gave it a try and it works! I rarely get a headache now and it is quite manageable! Check it out- it may help you!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,816 Member
    Options
    Home from work, and sitting on the bed,felt good to get back , and then it didn't if you understand me:ohwell:
    the DH put 5 bags of lawn clippings in my car to take to the dump before work tomorrow.. OY..
    stayed within my calorie range sorta, but gonna keep plugging along...
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well we went to Cracker Barrell for supper tonight. It really bothered DH because it was putting Cracker Barrell 'out of sequence' for the week. I just told him to be strong and he could do it:laugh: But he does like his meals to be in sequence. I had already put my meatloaf portion with green beans and baked sweet potato in the diary like I usually do. I don't like to go into a restaurant without already knowing what I am going to eat. So I get there and they have their special of baked chicken and dressing. OH NO!!! It looked so good. It was just 1/4 chicken breast with dressing with gravy over both. So I went ahead and ordered it:ohwell: I had her put the gravy on the side. If it were like the gravy we have here at home I wouldn't need any gravy nor would I need any gravy on the chicken at all. Well that was before I tried either one of them. The breast was dry and the dressing really needed something on it. So I did put a itsy bit on both. So I am over both on calories and sodium for the day. I did cut out my evening snack though. So it was kind of like when I finally did eat lobster. It may look succulent and good but it doesn't taste that good. So next time my stomach will know not to tempt my brain.

Joyce
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    AnneCarolOne.........my dd has terrible, frequent (becoming more so) migraines and she has a script for Singulair as she takes it the night before a race, esp. in the fall because she has exercise induced asthma and reacts to mold spores.......worth a try on a more regular basis!!

wessecg.......If I named anything Bingo, I wouldn't ever be able to get that kids song about Bingo out of my mind.....I do like Gable or Redford, though..........my dd would be glad to exercise your horses, bit of a drive though...

Michele........On your quest for measuring cups, etc.---I see lots of kitchen stuff at estate sales for pennies. Vitamin V, well, it's nurse-speak for Valium, an old term for it dating back to the 70's if not the 60's; I know it's an old drug, but I use it maybe 2-3 times a year, works well for me. On really stressful days we'd say we needed a Valium salt-lick in the med room for the staff.

Anamika.........My foot is still bruised a bit and swelling by night but no real pain, thanks for asking.......yay for your exercise and turning down sweets!!!

Heather........Absolutely inexcusable that the father isn't making arrangements to repair your car right!!! BTW, one of the emergency drs. hit my car the other day, he is picking up the tab, though. (fingers crossed!!!)

Meg..........Hope Benny Beagle is feeling much better and back to normal.

On the cocoa discussion.........why not use real Hershey's Cocoa---only 10 cals/Tble.? Makes excellent hot chocolate and is 100% cacao.

Sylvia...........Sorry your first marriage was so awful; you have come through wonderfully and it's his loss!!!

There was no big drama with the heart attack like in the movies........she was just very sweaty, her color was off-kind of pasty, and she had a pain (which she rated a only 3!!!) from her left shoulder to her wrist.........this is what happens with most of the women who die of MI's , we don't think it's bad enough to "bother" anyone. I did only what any one of you would have done, I'm sure. Gwen is stable, my thanks to everyone for their thoughts and good wishes and prayers. They may move her off the unit tomorrow to a regular room.

Hello to everyone I missed; take care, all,
    yanniejannie
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Had a nice day in clinical. I have great students and I love the staff on this floor. I also had a new faculty person who was shadowing me so she did some of the work. Sorry this is brief. I have to take care of 2 more faculty issues so I have to be quick. I don’t know what it is with this semester!

Benny seems to be a bit better today. Only had a couple episodes of diarrhea and no vomiting. DD#2 is better too. Benny had a little accident on his bed, so DH texted me that DD#2 reported Benny had a small “pup” in his bed. I almost choked from laughter. I texted DH and said “OMG if Benny had a pup, he really needs to go to the vet.” I laughed for about an hour.

Sue It does sound like you had a busy weekend!

Barbie: I can’t wait to have fires. It’s not cold enough here yet. Thanks for the good wishes for bEnny

Linda: happy birthday!

Joyce: I love Mexican food so much but haven’t been to a Mexican restaurant since being diagnosed with diabetes. I’m too afraid to eat any of it.

Linda: you will have to post pictures of your baby in all his outfits!

Heather: I adore flowers! What a nice birthday present!

Grandmallie: wow great nsv!

Suzy: you did get a lot accomplished

Sandy: hope that migraine goes away soon. Have you ever tried sumatriptin? It’s an injection. The excedrin could be created
    with the same amount of Tylenol and some caffeine supplements.

Sylvia: that’s a great compromise!

Yanniejannie: glad your friend is doing so much better.

Well I have to start making phone calls. I have one faculty who had a death in the family and the one who smokes never finished her compliance work for another facility and I got an email saying she couldn’t’ come to clinical again until it’s done and she goes again Thursday. Ugh . OK take care everyone. Meg from Omaha
  • melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have set new goals to the end of November. I love what BarbieCat said to me about "every day is a new beginning." Setting goals every day helps me. But if we're talking monthly, I figure I'll set some now and keep at these to the end of November:

1) Reduce to 3 structured aerobics classes per week, followed by epsom salts and arnica homeopathy after each (I realize I have been over exercising and really have to try to get the pain down -- I don't drive a car so I walk a LOT aside from exercise classes... will reassess at the end of November);
    2) check out a yoga class and a massage session (ideally do something like these once per week on Friday afternoon);
    3) eat 7 servings of fruit and veg per day (will I ever like them?);
    4) record the water (easy to think we're getting enough when we've been at this MFP for years, but marking it down can yield surprising results!); and
    5) get back on track with loyal daily tracking!

I love this 50 plus group and hope to keep checking in more often :)

Cheers,
    Melody
    in Atlantic Canada overlooking the beautiful Bay of Fundy
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Well today is day two of logging and drinking my water. So far so good.
    Melody - you are right, the Bay of Fundy is beautiful.We visited there when we toured Canada. I like your goals, keep at it.
    I've been reading a few pages tonight but realize I won't be able to catch up so I'll go from here.
    Meg - hope your puppy is doing better.
    Grandmallie = great NSV for you and congratulations on not gaining while on vacation.
    Tomorrow is another opportunity to have a good day.
    Sue in TX
  • CritterSue
    CritterSue Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Meg-So glad Benny is better, and congrats on his little ''pup'', lol!!!

Sylvia-Sorry you went through that horrible first marriage, but am happy you found your prince!

I dug out my jeans for first time in a while. I normally wear yoga style pants since I am at the gym a lot and spend my day working with animals. Well, I put them on, and they were waaay too big. I was shocked! My ticker thingy says I lost 6 pounds, but I haven't weighed myself in a bit because I hate the scale. I guess I lost some more!

Please keep your fingers crossed for my father-in-law. His arm broke very suddenly today, and now they are suspecting bone cancer. For those of you who pray, he could use a few. Trying to stay optimistic...

Hope you all have a great week. Drink that water!

Critter Sue
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Girls, I had some big fun tonight! I popped in on a ceramic workshop to see some of my potter friends who have not seen me since Christmas when I was at my top weight. When I walked in there was actually screaming and squealing, and gushing about how SKINNY I am! When we left Bill told me that I'm actually almost the same size as one particular friend, who I always think of being really healthy sized. So it's happening! It's really happening!

Sylvia
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    Suzy in DE - I'm short, too. I always buy my pants in the petite department. I usually don't have to hem them up if I get petites or sometimes pants will be "short, average, long" and I get the short. I'm another one who is blessed with large calves. I got a pair of Totes Waterproof boots years ago at Boscov's and I still have them. They don't come high up so I can wear them. Now that we're here in NC, even tho one of the pulls for a zipper broke off, I'm not going to bother to replace them unless I can get a pair on really good sale. I don't wear boots much here at all. I guess in the last 5 years I've probably worn them a handful of times, maybe even less.

Sandy - I don't know that I would say that the deep water class is more of a workout. However, there is zero impact. You can have a bit of impact in the shallow end but since you aren't touching the bottom, there isn't any impact.

Went to exercise, took the donations to the soup kitchen, then Vince and I went to the post office (I went to the ATM since it's next door), then to WalMart. Decided to stop at Sam's since we were right there. Found some lights that might work for Halloween next year. I asked Vince how he was doing on the milk and he said fine. Now I see that we really should have gotten another gallon. Looks like I'll be back there. Then I finished up stringing the popcorn. I think I have enough for the tree. Tonight I go to a friend's house and we play mahjongg. I'm going to ask if she'd like to play at my house next week since the Halloween decorations are up. One lady who comes leaves early (she lives right up the street) to watch "Bones". She can watch at my house.

Sylvia - I can't believe that jerk of a hubby -- if you can call him that. I'm so happy things worked out for you, you deserve it. Oh, I can hear the excitement in your post. Sure makes one feel good, huh? What an incentive

yanniejannie - if you use plain Hershey's cocoa, wouldn't it be on the bitter side? Glad to hear your friend is doing better. She's very lucky you were there.

meg - I'd be laughing hysterically if one of our cats had a "kitten"

suebdew - the start of a mile is taking the first step, and you're doing just that. Good for you

crittersue - prayers for your FIL. What a wonderful discovery!

Michele in NC
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    bump.....
    Gail, metro ATL
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: walked at lunch today with a coworker. And hope to go to jazzercise in the morning.

Goodnight all

Renny
    Vancouver island, BC