Tummy Tucks... was it worth it?

Options
124»

Replies

• amanda776
    Options
    Hello everyone. I had a full tummy tuck and breast lift on October 4th after a 116 lb weight loss and even though the past two weeks have been hell, I do not regret it one bit. I also have yet to meet anyone in my life that hasn't been 100% supportive so I am very disappointed to see that here. Anyway, since it is still very early in the recovery process, I have yet to see my flat stomach (although I know she's hiding there under the swelling waiting for me to get back to the gym).

After losing the weight about 6 years ago, I have been yo-yo dieting solely because I would lose motivation when I looked in the mirror and saw disgusting loose skin. So to me the surgery WAS medically necessary FOR ME because yo-yo dieting isn't a healthy lifestyle.

My question for the people who have had it done: During your recovery process, how did you stay motivated to stay on track given the fact that you couldn't exercise? It is killing me to sit around and be lazy because that was the OLD me and there is absolutely no going back now. Any advice from people who have been in my shoes would be greatly appreciated.
  • agann0n
    Options
    I got a tummy tuck when I was about 20 pounds away from my goal. I realized that I may NEVER get to my goal, so I should at least have the stomach I want. I had a lot of loose skin from losing ~60 pounds. The recovery was AWFUL, but it was worth it. If you can take the time off and have someone help you to the bathroom, check your bandages, and generally be your nurse for you that helps a lot. I kept my flat tummy through huge weight fluctuations of 10-30 pounds. It's incredible what a flat tummy signals to peoeple... even if you're a bigger girl but you have a flat tummy people perceive you as smaller. Hard to explain, but it's true. I'm 185 and people can't believe it becaues of my stomach, it's sort of an optical illusion.

That being said, I'd much prefer to be at my goal weight and am working hard to get back down there. BUT don't feel like you have to wait until you are at your goal weight because a) you may NEVER be at your idealized perfect weight and b) it will up your self esteem about your body now and make you happier for it. Just make sure you get a good plastic surgeon and look at his before and after pictures.

Also, be prepared for some stomach numbness. It's 5+ years after my surgery and I still have parts of my stomach that have lost total sensation.
  • mammakat0830
    mammakat0830 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    NEVER have I or will I regret my TT... It has made such a huge difference in my life. Pain was minimal compared to all the benefits it had for me... :bigsmile:
  • nnw245
    nnw245 Posts: 1
    Options
    If it will help with your confidence, do it! :)
    I am 1 week post op, although I regret it only because of the pain and long recovery time..My husband said it will be worth it .I am glad I did. My husband is 110% supportive/helpful. Have a good support system, you will need it if you decide to do it.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Wish I had the money for cosmetic surgery. I wish all of you here could help me!