LEAN WOMEN W/ ABS! HOW DID YOU DO IT?

Options
Hey guys! I am fairly athletic and maintain an active lifestyle (gym 4x a week). I eat healthily (egg whites, whole wheat, oatmeal) and have avoided fast food and processed ones. I have definitely seen some improvement during the previous months but when I look at my abdominal area, I'm still disappointed. I started with a program 2 1/2 months ago but somehow it still doesn't show where I want it the most - the abs, man! This demotivates me at times but I still keep moving forward. I just need some friendly pro tips.

I hope y'all can provide me with some! I'd prefer ladies' advice but anyone's can help. Thank you! :)

Replies

• fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Here's my personal method:

No clean eating

No cardio (none in the past six months, anyway)

No crunches or isolated ab work

Yes moderate calorie deficit (TDEE-15%)

Yes patience

Yes body fat reduction

Yes heavy lifting

That's all.
  • kokevendingmachine
    kokevendingmachine Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Define heavy lifting because I lift weights too. :) So you achieved washboard abs through weight lifting only? :)
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Her profile name is 531... That probably tells it all....
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    its a great question also how long? 2 years of weights? 1 year?
  • MsJLauria
    Options
    Is lifting the best way to get abs then? :/ I can't afford the gym, I've been doing ab work at home, crunches etc...
  • jennifer3998
    jennifer3998 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    The abs (and arms) I covet the most are on the women in my yoga class who go several times a week. I go in spurts but see a huge difference quickly when I am consistent.

I'm sure heavy lifting is great, but it's just not for me...so my goal is to continue walking 30 miles and get my butt to yoga 3x a week.

Good luck!
    Jennifer
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Abs come from the calorie deficit, not from crunches.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Define heavy lifting because I lift weights too. :) So you achieved washboard abs through weight lifting only? :)

Compound lifts (barbell squats, deadlifts, presses and rows), going as heavy as you can to hit the 4-6 rep range is usually what is referred to as 'heavy lifting' on here.
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Its all about working the core but to be able to show it you must be lean enough.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I have abs. I do not weight train (I should) I have a calorie deficit but it isn't large. It is 1lba loss a week, 500 calories a day. I eat back almost all of my work out calories. I net 1510 but eat 1700 or 1650 5 days a week. 2 days I eat 2000 to 3000. I lose 2lbs a week. I have gone from 26% BF to 20% (nearing 19).

My way took me about 4 months (post baby #2 mind you) to see solid abs.
    I eat whatever I want, very dirty eater. Beer is my friend, as is pizza and chinese.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    In to read more discussion.... and because I totally want abs like fivethreeone's someday. :love:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Is lifting the best way to get abs then? :/ I can't afford the gym, I've been doing ab work at home, crunches etc...

Crunches are a great way to eff up your lower back.

A calorie deficit and heavy lifting are what you need. 531 is spot on.

I've been right down lean eating everything people on this site say will kill you: bread, pasta, ice cream, etc.

Get enough protein, sustain a moderate deficit, lift heavy *kitten*, be patient. It'll come.
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    Hi! While I wouldn't say I have a totally flat stomach, I was able to really trim down within a matter of two weeks. I did a 14-day tea cleanse that I loved. It gave me the energy boost I needed as well as reduced bloating. Since I don't really believe in miracle pill or for this matter drink for weight loss, I still continued with a pretty clean diet and regular exercise. I think what this whole cleanse taught me the most that consistency is really key! However, I must say that the tea really did serve as a great kick starter. Other things I noticed in general is that when I started focusing less on my running and more on weight training I noticed a MAJOR difference in my body composition, including a smaller and firmer stomach. Good luck!
  • raychill007
    raychill007 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I have abs like that! Probably ;) They feel that way under the squishy parts :D Seriously, mine are really strong, and that's always a good thing, but seeing them is another story due to body fat.

I totally believe the compound heavy weights notion, but I can't compound lift above the waist because of a physical problem. I do weight my moves, but I do isolation stuff for them. I also do yoga and belly dance and highly recommend both (the bodyweight moves, especially) for working the core. Pilates, too.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Get your bodyfat lower and lower. And then some lower. And you'll have abs. But you may not like your other parts.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Visible ab definition takes time. You say you've been at your program for 2 months, that's a good start, but a 4 pack isn't going to happen in 2 months. You have to decrease your body fat percentage. Pilates and Yoga are excellent for strengthening your core. I used to have my own Pilates machine and between that and jogging occasionally, I had killer abs. I didn't eat clean, and as many have mentioned you don't necessarily have to. Keep in mind high sodium foods cause you to retain water, especially in the tummy. I am trying to get my 4 pack back and now I run 4 times a week and do some strength training. I no longer have a gym membership, so basically I just do dumbbells and bodyweight exercises. Not sure what your program is, it might be fine for your goals, you just haven't given it enough time.
  • StripedSmoker
    StripedSmoker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Abs: We all got 'em, but how to make 'em visible? Two ways: Make them bigger or reduce the fat covering them. It's even more efficient to do both.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options

Someone answered this, but yes -- compound lifting in the 4-6 rep range, specifically 5/3/1 program by Jim Wendler, though that doesn't really matter. I have a blog here (link is on my profile) that gets into more specifics.

And no, not weight lifting only. I also ate at a calorie deficit.

It took me a little over a year.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Someone answered this, but yes -- compound lifting in the 4-6 rep range, specifically 5/3/1 program by Jim Wendler, though that doesn't really matter. I have a blog here (link is on my profile) that gets into more specifics.

And no, not weight lifting only. I also ate at a calorie deficit.

It took me a little over a year.

:heart: