How does everyone account for drinking alcohol

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is a triple whammy for weight loss. To be honest, its not just about the actual amount of calories in the alcohol. 2 things: It slows down your metabolism for several hours after drinking, so whatever calories you get from the alcohol, your also burning much less than your body normally would. Second, the way your body digests alcohol, it is converted directly into body fat (visceral belly fat to make things worse!) not "burned off" thru exercise. So basically, when looking at the consequences, I tend to triple whatever the amount of calories are in the alcohol in order to keep myself focused on what it's really doing for my weight loss, so if 500 cals is worth a 150 calorie margarita, I'll have it! but usually, it isnt!

alcohol is converted straight to fat...says who????
  • kbitzonefour
    kbitzonefour Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't.
    I'd rather eat actual food than consume empty calories, sorry.
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I don't drink that often. Maybe once or twice a month. And when I do it's usually a few glasses of wine. So I treat it as my reward. I'm really bad about counting "liquid" calories anyway (that aren't protein drinks) so I try to be as watchful of calories during the day of if I know I'm going out that night...and then let the chips fall where they may.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to wine and straight liquor. I get the most for my caloric buck :)
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    It doesn't slow down your metabolism. I've been at this for 3 years, lost and gained, lost again. Total of about 55 pounds...I have either a beer/wine once a day. The trick is to measure it, count it, allow for it (plan) and let it go. This isn't about being perfect. It's finding a way to live well and keep the weight off.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Well... When I drink I DONT eat... kills my buzz! So I think it evens out lol! Bottoms up!:drinker:

ETS I don't drink beer a lot most of the time my alcohol comes in the form of a shot! less carbs in the hard stuff :tongue:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I drink all I can.
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I've had one alcoholic drink this year. I counted it.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I GAVE up alcohol, cigars, coffee, red meat a couple weeks back. It was the best decision for my heart. But when I did drink I over shot my intake to make sure it balanced out. Then again who knows how much you are really drinking when you are bingeing..lol
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i log what i drink.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I count them as extra exercise calories. I try to pre plan nights im going to go out drinking and execise hard and long that day so i have a good 600 extra calories besides my normal 1000 calorie daily burn, so 1600 calorie burn. This way i can eat tasty crappy bar food and lose count on how many beers i drink, and not have to worry about exercising the follow day all hungover. Yes its terrible but life is too short so F' it.
  • Courtney011691
    Options
    If you can fit it into your caloric intake are you ok with it. I am not talking about daily drinking. I am talking about once a week HH or a rare night out. I realize it can fit in your calorie budget but doesn't it truthfully slow your metabolism?

Also do most people stick with vodka when they are drinking since it is low in cals and sugar?

Truthfully, even if it doesn't fit in my calories I'm still going to drink it if I"m going out on a Friday or Saturday night. The upside, I'm typically under my calories all week so one day over hasn't been a problem with weight loss. I guess if I believed in the "cheat meal" theory than I'd call this my "cheat drinks".

As far as vodka - not a chance. Here's my thought - I hate vodka, always have. The only way I can drink it is to drink it fast and drink a lot to the the point where it no longer tastes bad. Or I can have 1-2 beers that taste good, not be totally trashed, feel great the next day, and probably drink a similar amount of calories.
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I usually have a couple of pints and log them. Luckily, I'm a total lightweight! :D
  • Courtney011691
    Options
    I count them as extra exercise calories. I try to pre plan nights im going to go out drinking and execise hard and long that day so i have a good 600 extra calories besides my normal 1000 calorie daily burn, so 1600 calorie burn. This way i can eat tasty crappy bar food and lose count on how many beers i drink, and not have to worry about exercising the follow day all hungover. Yes its terrible but life is too short so F' it.

I do the same thing. A few extra miles in the morning is totally worth beer and jalapeno poppers that night.
  • allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Just drink until you forget, that way there's nothing to remember.
    Hahaha

I know all the ways that alcohol are "bad" for me, and how full of calories it can be, but damn, I love me some good beer!! I'm trying to go low carb for a bit and I have to stay away, but sometimes there's just days where a cold pumpkin ale needs to be consumed!!
  • allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is a triple whammy for weight loss. To be honest, its not just about the actual amount of calories in the alcohol. 2 things: It slows down your metabolism for several hours after drinking, so whatever calories you get from the alcohol, your also burning much less than your body normally would. Second, the way your body digests alcohol, it is converted directly into body fat (visceral belly fat to make things worse!) not "burned off" thru exercise. So basically, when looking at the consequences, I tend to triple whatever the amount of calories are in the alcohol in order to keep myself focused on what it's really doing for my weight loss, so if 500 cals is worth a 150 calorie margarita, I'll have it! but usually, it isnt!

This guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgTlFFWMNy0

This video changed how I see sugar. It's scientific proof about the dangers of Fructose!
  • threetonguerings
    threetonguerings Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Log them.
    If I have extra calories but don't feel like eating, I will grab a budlight or two. Shots of pumpkin spice vodka.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I drink if I want. And I log it. Luckily I'm not much a booze-hound, but if we wants it we haves it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

This guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgTlFFWMNy0

This video changed how I see sugar. It's scientific proof about the dangers of Fructose!
    Well .. if it's on YouTube it must be true!
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've come to treat alcohol the same way I treat other calories. IE is it worth it or not. Cheap booze is right out the window, I don't enjoy it enough to make it worthwhile. Also since losing a fair amount of weight and not drinking as much as I used to it takes a whole lot less. So just like the rest of my calories I only drink things I *really* enjoy, or things I want to try, and I work them in to my calories once or twice a week.

This and I will actually take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months off from having any alcohol to help me lose weight better. I really do see a difference when I do this, not so much in lbs (I don't rate my success on the scale but rather in the fit of my clothes, inches lost, etc) plus it helps me to reel in any unwanted binges. I hate vodka but my new favorite is Kentucky bourbon on the rocks:) Most of the time I will drink Jameson, though (Irish).