Any 10,000 Steps (Daily) Success stories?

Options

Replies

• gordowens
    Options
    I believe counting steps was a huge improvement in my personal success. A buddy of mine started using a fitbit so I decided to as well. Picked up a couple for the wife and I for Christmas 2011 and have used it every day since (although we've gone trough a few of them). I have a desk job and was very surprised to how few steps I traveled every day. Started with about a 5k per day goal, then went to 10k. Now on average I pick up about 15k just by going out of my way walking nearly anywhere and everywhere.

Here are my fitbit stats since Christmas 2011 (nearly 2 years)

8,470,093 steps
    total lifetime steps

8,254 floors
    total lifetime floors (my current fitbit doesn't count floors so this one has stopped about 6 months ago)

4,103.39 miles
    total lifetime distance

Best:

32,608 steps
    on June 23, 2012

102 floors
    on April 18, 2012

15.71 miles
    on March 23, 2012

I am lost if I forget to grab my fitbit for whatever reason. It has become a major part of life.

I had never run into the earndit or everymove before, that seems pretty cool and I'll have to check it ou
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I believe counting steps was a huge improvement in my personal success. A buddy of mine started using a fitbit so I decided to as well. Picked up a couple for the wife and I for Christmas 2011 and have used it every day since (although we've gone trough a few of them). I have a desk job and was very surprised to how few steps I traveled every day. Started with about a 5k per day goal, then went to 10k. Now on average I pick up about 15k just by going out of my way walking nearly anywhere and everywhere.

Here are my fitbit stats since Christmas 2011 (nearly 2 years)

8,470,093 steps
    total lifetime steps

8,254 floors
    total lifetime floors (my current fitbit doesn't count floors so this one has stopped about 6 months ago)

4,103.39 miles
    total lifetime distance

Best:

32,608 steps
    on June 23, 2012

102 floors
    on April 18, 2012

15.71 miles
    on March 23, 2012

I am lost if I forget to grab my fitbit for whatever reason. It has become a major part of life.

I had never run into the earndit or everymove before, that seems pretty cool and I'll have to check it ou

Wow...absolutely tremendous you are--congrats!!!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

I am recommitting myself to this goal and made it to 10,000 steps on Sunday and not quite on Monday and yesterday. I LOVE that you mentioned "floors" in your count. This has given me the idea to begin to add walking up and down my stairs and blowing the dusk off of my mini-stepper and doing those in lieu of floors. Thank you so much for posting this!!!!
  • shewanna
    shewanna Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use to get over 10000 on my fitbit now its more like 7000 or 8000 but I definitely wont to get back to 10000 and over
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Yes! Well, my goal is 15,000 steps/day. I walk my steps and eat my set calories, and that is it. I've lost 80 lbs with this method. :)
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I need to get more steps in. So, no success yet.
  • FlamencoGal
    FlamencoGal Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I bought a Fitbit Zip late last year because I was curious how many steps I was taking and several people assured me that the Zip was idiot proof. They were correct and I now LOVE my little Fitbit Zip. I do 10,000 or more steps Monday-Friday, but not so good on the weekends. However, we have starting a Walking Challenge at my office and now I try to do better on the weekends. I think my best day was 18,000+.
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have Fitbit Ultras that we bought back in March after owning the Fitbit Zips since Christmas. We really wanted the sleep and staircase measurements. I am actually walking right now (treadmill desk) for my longest single day walk since I started using the fitbit, over 25k steps (about 26k or so) and just over 10 miles (this would be longer if I were walking outside the treadmill desk makes me take shorter steps). We both love our fitbits, I am shipping my Zip to my sister so she can try it out and if she really likes it maybe she will get an Ultra also. I can say without a doubt that almost all my weight loss since I joined MFP last Christmas day has been due to walking. I average about 70k steps per week, with weekends tending to be my light walking days. Some of you have very challenging standards set. I should adjust my daily up to 12k also to push myself a little harder for the weekly goal.
  • AleksD3
    AleksD3 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    This thread is really, really inspirational to me. I upgraded to a Fitbit One a few weeks ago and love it as much as my original fitbit. At one point in time I was doing 10,000 steps a day but then life interfered and things fell apart.

I'm totally ready to get back to it though. What I find works really well for me is to walk for 5 minutes out of every hour, especially at work where I have a desk job but am able to get up and move around whenever I want.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I've started a new accountability group, dedicated to doing daily 10,000 steps--it's a 30, 60 and 90 day challenge, if you are committed to doing this and would like to join a like minded group of committed members doing this 10,000 steps 5-6 days per week, please do join us--we'd be GLAD to have you...here's the info:

10,000 Steps/5 Miles Per Day 30/60/90 Day Challenge
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/17265-10-000-steps-5-miles-per-day-30-60-90day-challenge
  • afrodizzia
    afrodizzia Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I noticed this thread. I just got a fitbit flex and started 10K steps a day. I usually get 12K but that is including a 5k jog on 3 days a week. Plan to up step target to 12K as from Sunday.
    I have spent some evenings in my living room marching in place and prancing around just to hit my steps for the day (this cracks my husband up every time)
  • Kookyk9s
    Kookyk9s Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    BMP
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I was doing my 10,000 steps in one fail swoop, it takes about 2 hours to do 5 miles and I've been doing that all week, but I hurt my feet a couple of days ago (got some monster blisters on BOTH feet), so today I started breaking the steps up to 3 times per day to make my steps, using morning exercises (usually a Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds dvd), afternoon exercises and/or outdoor walks, and evening outdoor walks. My feet totally like doing it this way better :drinker:
  • californiabella
    Options
    Bump
  • Kaplat
    Kaplat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Some amazing achievements here! Time to get serious with my fitbit again I think :blushing:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Since the seasons are changing and the weather can sometimes be less than great for outside walking...I've discovered that doing 20 minutes of my treadmill@2.5mph then 15 minutes on my full body staionary exercise bike, then another 20 minutes of my treadmill@3.0mph followed by another 15 minutes on my stationary bike = 10,000 steps for me. This takes me 70 minutes (and outside walking takes me 2 hours or a bit more to reach 10K steps AND I sweat profusely MORE doing these moderate exercises FAR more than just walking 5 miles) and knocking it out first thing in the morning makes me feel like a super star and helps me accomplish my 10k steps EARLY and still leaves me time for other wee exercising in the afternoon and a wee bit of something in the evening. This may sound like a LOT, but it's not and yet--my fat cries something fierce doing this first thing in the A.M. IF I continue to make this a lifestyle habit, I'll be slim and trim by springtime...God Willing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smooched:

ETA: Oops...I can't and won't forget that I can't out exercise my blasted fork...so doing this PLUS watching my cals and making smarter choices in my foods will get me slimmer & trimmer by springtime--FOR SURE:wink:
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Fitbit Zip yesterday and set it up this morning. I noticed that even though they claim their engineers have done what they can to create an algorithm that excludes activities like driving, it's not that effective in doing so and requires the user to override the mis-recorded steps (while driving in my case) via the dashboard. Other than that, it seems like another pretty cool tool to keep one's self motivated and engaged in a healthier lifestyle. Oh, and I really do like the sync functionality it has with MFP.
  • follycles
    follycles Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes! Well, my goal is 15,000 steps/day. I walk my steps and eat my set calories, and that is it. I've lost 80 lbs with this method. :)

When did you start?
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    For me, 10000 steps a day lead me to fitbit, which lead me to mfp, which taught me to track what I eat and eat at a deficit, which lead to success. Every now and then, when I have times where I just don't exercise for whatever reason, I'll take out my fit bit and make a 10000 step goal.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Not sure if I posted this here or not, but my new super FAT CRYING and MOANING secret to reach 10,000 miles (when the weather in bad/to do inside) is....

70 minutes of grueling (for me) 20 minutes on my treadmill@2.5 mph, then hop on my full body stationary bike for 15 minutes, then hop off that and get back on my treadmill for a sweaty 20 more minutes @3.0mph and lastly hop my big tail back on my stationary bike for then last 15 minutes. This may sound like child's play to those of us more accustomed to tougher work-out, but it helps me accomplish 10,000 steps in 70 minutes and leaves me red as a beet and a serious mega sweaty fat crying session too! I hate it as I'm doing it, but feel like a sheer CHAMPION when I'm done. Blasting some old school Christian music helps me focus on God (because I feel like I'm dying doing this and NEED His STRENGTH to get me thru--it's so HARD and HOT/heat producing) helps the time go by more quickly and the music and lyrics pump me up and makes it as fun as this grueling workout can be!!!
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    Just got a Fitbit Force after my mom got a Zip for Christmas--very excited to step more and stay active! ^_^
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!