Effexor/Venlafaxine

Options

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I was on it.....WAS. It constantly made me fall asleep no matter where I was. The moment I hopped on a bus to go pick my son up from school.... by the time I got 10 meters I was asleep. I was always asleep.

I went off it cold turkey. It almost killed me. The 'shocks' were like someone hitting me with a low voltage wire in the head. This went on for longer than I had actually taken the stupid drug.

Now I take St Johns Wort. Best thing I ever did. No side effects for me, not one 'sleepy episode' and no more shocks ...and 100% natural.

I'll never ever go on prescribed meds again.
  • Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that I refused to start taking this when my Dr kept pushing it on me for fatigue. Fatigue! It sounds like this is the last thing that I'd want to take! It turned out, I was hypothyroid but still have periods of extreme fatigue since I'm in the "gray area" that my Dr considers normal yet he still wants to push this instead of bumping my thyroid meds a little. No thanks.
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Im sorry so many persons have had such a crappy experience. Im not on anything right now. Honestly ive simply run out of things to try...
  • CharisSunny
    Options
    Im 5'10" but I worried more about how crappy in felt. I couldn't stay awake much less work out!
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Do not take Venlafaxine Efexor. My advice comes purely from experience, and the opinion of both a psychiatrist and a chemist both adamant that this drug should NOT be given to anybody. It is a demon drug. I was on it for two years and it simply made me a zombie, and the side effects are numerous and common, and not worth the horrific numbness it gives you. It is one of the most awful drugs to come off, too. A simple google search will tell you how horrendous the discontinuation syndrome is. It took me over three months to finally be off it, and those three months were sheer hell. I have nothing but regret for the time I was on that drug, and would have come off sooner, had the withdrawal not been so completely crippling. If I could, I'd have it wiped off the face of the Earth. It's nasty and addictive.

I've had a lot of experience with psychiatric drugs, both anti-depressants prescribed for depression and anxiety, and anti-psychotic prescribed for BPD. The 'best' drug I was on was Quetiapine, one of the latter kinds, and that only because it didn't really do anything to me and there was no withdrawal.

I've recently come off another awful drug, Citalopram. Next I'm trying Mirtazepine, and I'm hoping that after 10 years of trying different medications, this one may just help.
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I gained 26lbs in 6 weeks on it (no way it was from over eating, I actually lost my appetite) And its been two years and I've only lost 10lbs no matter what I do.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    Im sorry so many persons have had such a crappy experience. Im not on anything right now. Honestly ive simply run out of things to try...

If you can..... Vitamin D & St Johns Wort. Trust me they are a godsend. Swisse brand of 'MOOD' tablets are just great as well. I really do not know where I'd be if it was not for those natural supplements. Have not taken a prescribed medication for my depression in about 5 years now. Not bad considering I was borderline manic.
  • LyndsieLovejoyyy
    Options
    i took it for a year and lost weight consistently with diet and exercise, never had any weight gain from it but i did have other bad side effects and had to quit it
  • CharisSunny
    Options

If you can..... Vitamin D & St Johns Wort. Trust me they are a godsend. Swisse brand of 'MOOD' tablets are just great as well. I really do not know where I'd be if it was not for those natural supplements. Have not taken a prescribed medication for my depression in about 5 years now. Not bad considering I was borderline manic.
    I have actually done both vit. D and SJW however I didn't improve. Thank you though :)
  • hotfitmomma2b
    hotfitmomma2b Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was on venlaxfine after my last pregnancy for post partum depression and while I was on it I lost just under 50lbs :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options

I have actually done both vit. D and SJW however I didn't improve. Thank you though :)

Go for the Swisse brand ones then.....omg they are great. They have a different ingredient in them.
    www.swisse.com/au/vitamins-and-supplements/sleep-mood/81/swisse-ultiboost-mood
  • Ortax
    Ortax Posts: 98
    Options
    I take 150 mg of Effexor along with Abilify, Lexapro, and Nadolol. I gained about 40 pounds while on these medications going from 140 pounds to 180 pounds. But I don't blame the meds for making me gain weight. I'll be honest, the past 3 years I've been very sedentary and I've had a very poor diet. I'm talking like 5+ cans of Coke per day and fast food at least 6 days per week. I know I can lose weight on these meds because I recently dropped 7 pounds (187 to 180 pounds). I'm going to start dieting and weight lifting soon.
  • smu_77
    Options
    Oh, and one really noticable thing I personally found with Effexor is that the withdrawl symptoms come on really quickly, like missing just one dose can give you some weird *kitten* nightmares and anxiety. ...But then again everybody is different, and will react differently!

Agreed! It's a wonderful drug that saves lives. It's the drug that is given to people when most other things fail and should never be taken as a starter antidepressant as it's a very serious drug with lots of potential side effects. But when someone needs it and it works, it's wonderful. But as the poster above says: never miss a dose. You will start noticing withing two or three hours if you do, and it will be horrible. No nightmares or anxiety for me but horrible dizziness. Make sure you have an extra emergency dose at work, in your car, in your bag, etc. You do not want to have to go through the day without your daily dose.

On the original question: no effect on weight for me. Maybe I gained a pound or two in the beginning but only because I was in a better place, joined friends for dinner again, enjoyed things. In that sense: gaining a pound or two was definitely a good thing. Been on it for about 4 years now (after trying unsuccessfully with other meds for about a decade) and it has not affected my weight in any significant way.

Good luck!
  • CharisSunny
    Options
    I have long discontinued the drug. No intention of going back.

As for Saint John's wort it isn't effective as the dosage required would be impractical. I would take upwards of 6 tablets per day.
  • CharisSunny
    Options
    Oh, and one really noticable thing I personally found with Effexor is that the withdrawl symptoms come on really quickly, like missing just one dose can give you some weird *kitten* nightmares and anxiety. ...But then again everybody is different, and will react differently!

Agreed! It's a wonderful drug that saves lives. It's the drug that is given to people when most other things fail and should never be taken as a starter antidepressant as it's a very serious drug with lots of potential side effects. But when someone needs it and it works, it's wonderful. But as the poster above says: never miss a dose. You will start noticing withing two or three hours if you do, and it will be horrible. No nightmares or anxiety for me but horrible dizziness. Make sure you have an extra emergency dose at work, in your car, in your bag, etc. You do not want to have to go through the day without your daily dose.

On the original question: no effect on weight for me. Maybe I gained a pound or two in the beginning but only because I was in a better place, joined friends for dinner again, enjoyed things. In that sense: gaining a pound or two was definitely a good thing. Been on it for about 4 years now (after trying unsuccessfully with other meds for about a decade) and it has not affected my weight in any significant way.

Good luck!

Not taking it again but thank you!!
  • CharisSunny
    Options
    I was on venlaxfine after my last pregnancy for post partum depression and while I was on it I lost just under 50lbs :)
    awesome! Thanks for responding!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I've been on Effexor for a few years now. It is a short-acting drug, so your will notice symptoms if you miss a dose. It has never affected my appetite, and I have been losing weight just fine while on it. Don't know if it caused any of my weight gain, but if it did it was not because it caused me to eat more. I've always wanted to eat too much.
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hey just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this drug...both good and bad.

Has anyone lost weight while on Effexor? I know ppl will say they've gained but frankly just wondering if anyone has seen it NOT affect their weightloss efforts.

Just started and I want some well-rounded reviews :)

Much thanks,
    Char

Hi there,

I'm actually on it right now and slowly in the process of weaning myself off.

I haven't noticed any weight gain or loss just based on the drug itself, but I have gained because I ate like crap, lol.

If you have any questions at all I'd be happy to talk to you about this, I've been on it for about a year or so. Add me if you like :-)
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I have been on Effexor and Wellbutrin for almost 1 year, loss of appetite only lasted 1 week, had to lower dosage of Effexor because lost sex drive completely. I go to the Dr. all the time so she can check my meds, to make sure I have the right dosage, everyone will respond differently to different dosages.

It was the first drug I was put on and the first couple of days I thought it was a miracle drug, but you shouldn't stop anything without consulting your Dr. first