HATE Cardio, LOVE weight-training

Options
I need some opinions/help. I go to the gym 5 days a week & do weight training & cardio. I'm only there for around an hour, with 35 minutes of weight training & around 20 minutes of cardio (treadmill-walking/jogging).

I absolutely LOATHE cardio. I am in love with weight training and am wondering, will I see a loss if I focus on weight training alone? I don't want to be bulky, but cardio is so boring to me, no matter what it is: Walking, running, dancing, Zumba, Kinect, etc...

What do you think or what have you found? I wouldn't mind having a few websites to look at either.

Replies

• BIH92
    BIH92 Posts: 14
    Options
    That's fine if you are doing completely work out for your body from free weight and machines. I recommend you to do some light cardio such as riding a bicycle or jogging at least. Only one time a week is enough.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I do the arc for about 20 minutes, go do some work on the weight machines and then I go on the bike for about 15 minutes so I try to cover all aspects
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    will I see a loss if I focus on weight training alone?

Yes, presuming you continue to eat less than your TDEE.

Cardio can be an insurance policy against over eating for some people.
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Calorie Deficit = Weight Loss
    Cardio = Look good in your clothes....Get to eat a little more.
    Lifting Heavy = Look great naked....Get to eat A LOT more.
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Remember your heart is a muscle too. It needs to keep strong or else....
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I do cardio usually only once a week, twice if I can fit it in. I do enough to keep myself in "shape". Also the superficial side of me doesn't want to be that girl that looks fit but can't run a mile without dying.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    Why not mix cardio with strength and do Kettlebells? That is what i do besides walking to and from the gym.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    will I see a loss if I focus on weight training alone?

As long as you're eating at a deficit (staying under your calorie goal), you will see a loss. You actually don't need to work out at all to see a loss, just stay under your calorie goal. Though working out is definitely beneficial. If you want to cut out the cardio, you will be fine.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest getting out of the gym for your cardio. Unless you hate all movement other than sitting, lying or lifting, then there is likely some form of cardio exercise that you enjoy. Hike, bike, shoot hoops, play in the park, sleigh ride, ski, water ski, swim, dance, etc. Just find an activity you like. Exercise doesn't have to take place inside a sweaty gym.
  • fitandgeeky
    fitandgeeky Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight with almost no cardio and lifting heavy. It really boils down to eating at healthy deficit and figuring out what macro ratios work for you. Cardio is good for your heart, but it's not essential for weight loss. I'm with you on the loathing cardio. I only do 10 minutes to warm up before I lift and that's all I've done for the last six months.
  • talie244
    talie244 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about being bulky, i'm the same i enjoy weight training more than cardio so i alternate week to week to keep my body guessing. Maybe try doing cardio out of the gym and find something fun like swimming or walking outdoors than it won't be boring and you can lift at the gym :)

http://www.prevention.com/fitness/fitness-tips/9-reasons-women-should-lift-weights
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    When I do weight training (and have had a trainer in the past) I always start with a cardio warm up such as a quick jog around the building or run on the treadmill until I got my heart rate at the fat burning zone which for me only took about 5 minutes.
  • fitandgeeky
    fitandgeeky Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add that lifting will not make you bulky with or without cardio. You aren't going to bulk up without giving it some serious effort while eating at a surplus. It won't happen by accident. I'm actually trying to add some bulk and it's a lot harder than you would think.
  • xSirensSong
    xSirensSong Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Thank you for everyone's input so far, I really appreciate you taking time out to answer my questions.

I do not eat back my exercise calories (as instructed by my dietician), so cardio or not, I don't 'gain calories' to eat. My daily calorie intake is less than my TDEE (TDEE = 2100 for me [that's if I consider myself sedentary, which I guess I am. I work a desk job], & I eat around 1600-1800 calories a day [mostly on the lower end])

The scale is a big deal for me, because I am in a Biggest Loser competition & I want to pull through for my team. I also don't want to weigh as much as I do, which I know the more muscle I have, the more fat-burning potential I have as well. I take measurements & have started losing (parts of) inches already with only doing what I am for a few weeks, but the scale still hasn't budged.

Exercise is the key to weight loss according to my doctor with the conditions I have ~ PCOS & hypothyroidism, especially core workouts. I feel more empowered when I am weight training & more like I'm 'in my own zone', if you will. I enjoy that feeling, so I believe that's why I love it so much.
  • Thruen
    Thruen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is like 70% diet and 30% cardio, so it can be done without cardio, however cardio is really good for you so maybe try doing the 20min cardio every other workout at least?
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I lift 3-days a week and on those days I do a 10-minute warm up (stairs, row, etc) to get my blood flowing and then I lift for an hour+. The other 2 days are cardio, but like you I think cardio can be so boring so we've changed it up and started doing a crossfit/tabata style workout and LOVE it. Keeps things changed up and not boring.

Example:

500m row

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
    -Box Jumps
    -Bosu Ball Push-Ups
    -Kettlebell Swings
    -Crunches

500m row

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
    -Tuck Jumps
    -Overhead Plate Lunges
    -Leg Raises

500 m row

Edit: And then I usually try to run once a week just to be able to participate in some fun 5k's with friends.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    You won't get bulky, and what's wrong with the walks with your mama?!