Why did you gain weight in the first place?

Options

Replies

• jaysull21
    Options
    Here's a brief summary for me:

* - Sedentary job.
    * - I was always skinny until my mid 20s, I could eat anything (and did).
    * - I stopped exercising somewhere around my mid 20s (light bulb!)
    * - Convenient food with busier schedule
    * - They opened a Chinese restaurant in my tiny town, and I love me some General Tso's.
    * - I stopped caring about how I looked.
    * - I probably had a bout with depression. There's probably more to it than that.
  • Northorpe
    Northorpe Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've had a weight problem since I left home at 17, started eating junk because I did not have to prepare anything. Started my first diet at 18 because somebody said I had "thunder Thighs" but I was a UK size 10, so diet started lost weight and on it went again and more. It all became really bad when I stopped smoking 12 years ago, I replaced cigarettes with marshmallows, I ate 4 large bags a day of Haribo pink and white ones!. 4 Year ago I started to lose weight and have been managing to keep control of this, I reached my target weight last October but have gained 8lbs back which I struggle with daily. So Marshmallow make me physically sick now, thanks good for that.
  • Ameythist
    Ameythist Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I started gaining weight in second grade after my mom got laid off work. We started eating a lot of cheap box dinners and never anything actually healthy for you. This progressed into high school when my schedule started getting really active. I actually lost a bunch of weight in high school from marching band and always being on the run. Unfortunately, going to college reversed all weight loss because I did not make healthy choices at all. Now that I've had my first child I am making a lot of changes because I know lifelong food habits are learned in childhood and I want my son to be healthier than I have been. Losing weight is just a bonus.
  • sdrichardson713
    sdrichardson713 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hypothryoidism since I was 9....did well once I started meds at age 17. Quit smoking at age 24....became addicted to food instead. I'm sad, I eat. I'm happy, I eat. I'm bored, I eat. I'm trying to replace food with exercise though and it seems to be helping a lot.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Slowly gained weight after high school ended and didn't really care/tried not to notice until after I had my first child. I gained and lost 50 lbs with him (though I was already about 20 lbs up from my high school weight at that point) and then did the same yo yo again with my most recent child. I can only blame myself. I was on a see food diet for years with little regard to my health.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I gained weight on purpose. I was 18 years old, married, and weighed 97 pounds and looked horrible. Bought this product called WEIGHT-ON (I could not increase my calories enough). When I got to 130, I was satisfied. So what the H*LL happened?
  • FitFabStar
    FitFabStar Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    boredom is my biggest issue. i work from home and when I get a down time the first thing I do is run to the kitchen.

Next would be my self control. I have been overweight since I was probably 11 so this is years and years of me being used to eating anything what I want and now that I need to limit it, it's very hard.

Another would be the fact that I ate some sort of fast food or dined out way too often. Now it's hard to fight the urges when i leave the house.

Discipline and self control would definitely be the two things I need to work on the most. That is the only way I will ever be successful
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I like to eat. I was always thin growing up - and very active - and didn't have to watch what I ate. And I didn't. And then the pounds started slowly creeping on during my late 30s. I've never been overweight but I was bigger than what I wanted to be.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Sad? Food will make me feel better. Happy? Have something nice to eat. Angry? Chocolate will make things better? Celebration? Lets go out to eat etc.

THIS....combined with growing up as a (forced) member of the clean-your-plate club. Though I was never overweight as a kid or teen, all that extra eating and drinking caught up in adulthood. I can't even blame my kids cuz I'z fat before they came :) Nice thing is, I'm 15 lbs less right now then when I got pregnant the first time. Feeling good and keeping it going. For me I've found that I don't especially have "triggers" more than I have times where I'd rather say f' it and eat all the cookies! I'm finding now that I have more will power and I just don't overeat. I just don't chuck my progress out the window when it feels hard for a day or three. I know it's only me who can get me to where I want to be, so I keep doing what's working for me. I have also been pleasantly surprised at how quickly my appetite changed in that I really notice being uncomfortably full and do NOT like it (even when I've planned a meal within my cal limits). When I think back, I felt like that a lot prior to MFP but kept eating anyway.
  • natmckn
    natmckn Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ok, it makes sense to me that a major support factor to any sustainable weight loss is to first understand how we got here in the first place. Only then can we recognize what we need to change, fix, cure, or remove from our life in order to lose the weight and in the end KEEP IT OFF. Isn't that always the most frustrating point: losing it and then gaining it back, and then some? And I think a lot of us can find support in others who are going through the same struggles and changes on this deeper, personal level.

Does anyone care to share what their "triggers" are that cause overeating? If you all are anything like me, there is more than 1. . . . . . .

This isn't intended to make excuses, only to identify causes, or through sharing,help others identify their triggers that they might not consciously recognize.

When I was in college, if I got stressed, I would lose a bunch of weight because I'd be too preoccupied worrying about other things to eat. Then I graduated and moved back home, got a desk job, and gained a bunch of weight. However my metabolism was still in great shape and my first job had a gym inside the office, so I was able to lose it pretty quickly and easily. Then I changed jobs, got engaged, got married, lost my free gym membership, and it was like a switch was flipped in my mind. I started turning to food when things got stressful. I tried previous successful diets to try and lose weight that no longer worked. I started lying to myself.

I was doing really well at the beginning of 2013 with the fitness portion of things, and I guess I just figured the eating would fall into place, but I still overate. I began to get extremely discouraged because I saw zero change in my weight even though I had finished my very first 5k.

Then, I had some pretty stressful/tragic things happen this summer that just really knocked the stuffing out of me. I lost all motivation to take care of myself in any way. From July to September I just didn't care, and I leaned on food the entire time to get me through it.

I'm now at the heaviest I've ever weighed in my life. I'm finding it very, very hard to keep on track. I come home from work and eat everything in sight. I make stupid excuses every weekend when I'm out and about. I'm hoping by getting this all out there and out of my system that I find just the tiniest bit more motivation to "stick to it" and get back to where I'm comfortable with myself again. I don't want to continue down this road and be in a REAL bad spot five years from now.
  • stargirlll
    stargirlll Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was lazy. Ohhhh so lazy. I was under the impression that my adolescent metabolism would drive me through my life and I'd never have to worry.

Oh, how wrong I was. In high school I gained 30 pounds without even actually realizing it. Once I reached 150 I knew I had to change as I didn't want to get any heavier.

My triggers definitely have to be boredom and depression, but boredom reigns supreme. If I have nothing to do, I just want to munch on something tasty. Er... EVERYTHING tasty. I'm a binge eater through and through. It's been a tough habit to kick.

These days I'm doing much better with an "iifym" lifestyle and MMA training.. I make progress every single day and my binging days seem to be few and far between. I'm always preoccupied, so I have much less time to think about all the marvellous foods I want to eat.
  • runshellersrun
    Options
    I barely gained during my pregnancies, and effortlessly and quickly lost what I did gain. It was not having a minute to myself to exercise or eat right for two years that was the problem. I'm sure the sleep deprivation didn't help either.
  • Naener
    Naener Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Sad? Food will make me feel better. Happy? Have something nice to eat. Angry? Chocolate will make things better? Celebration? Lets go out to eat etc. That, combined with portion sizes too big with too many carbs

Welcome to the American Way lol
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I got ran over by an 18 wheeler on my 21st birthday and couldnt walk anymore and got depressed and stopped living.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR YOURSELF!!!1!one!

(Okay getting run over by a truck seems legit. Nvm)

xD

i DID stop! and lost a backstreet boy!

Which one? I hope it was that dude with the aviator sunglasses. He annoyed me.
  • Naener
    Options
    A trigger for me is male attention. I guess unconsciously I would rather be invisible to the opposite sex, because the attention makes me feel vulnerable.

I believe my mother has this same issue. she keeps herself un healthy to stay safe...
  • jackjackattck
    jackjackattck Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Mine was all from college. I drank 5-6 days a week and ate fried foods multiple times a day. I did work out, but not regularly. I actually think I'm pretty lucky that I only gained about 15-20 lbs over the 4 years of college considering how crappy I treated my body. I still have to be careful when going to visit friends because we slip right into that old pattern- tons of alcohol and eating every meal out. It's definitely still a challenge, even now, after 2 yrs of maintenance.

I agree with you completely!! Mine was all from college too. I went from not drinking and living with my parents, eating my moms healthy cooked meals all day... to living in a dorm with the party lifestyle. I didn't know how to cook, so if I wasn't eating take out, it was easy mac or cup of noodles (shudder at the sodium levels!) I consumed tons of beer and super sugary cocktails.. followed by Jack in the Box or Alberto's runs at 3 AM. Then in the morning, I would be too hungover to do much so I would go hit up the drive through again. Since I was taking 8 classes and trying to hold a part time job, ALL of my free time was spent sleeping.. or partying with my friends. I rarely worked out, except for the occasional aerobics class if I needed extra units. The schools really get you with the meetings too, offering free pizza in exchange for attendance. That is pretty appealing to a broke college student!

The "freshman 15" really does exist. In fact for me, it was more like the college 30.. it did not stop at freshman year!
  • Naener
    Options
    Oh you lucky *kitten* with high metabolisms in youth lol

Never had much metabolism to work with.... was a chubby kid through middle school, thined out in high school thanks to swimming, water polo and cross training... got chubby again in college.. lost weight again from partying and dancing my *kitten* off as well as an active job... retail is no joke sometimes... then stopped partying, got a cushy desk job and just stopped caring i guess.

Was rasied a tom boy, so i never thought/cared much about my own looks.

thankfully I was never an emotional eater... when i gte sad or depressed I DONT eat.

135, 150, 180, 165, 190, 187, 204.... gain a bunch, lose a little... but i never bothered with portion control or looking at caloric intake.

im currently 164!! and on the way doowwnnnnn!
  • RobbinRL
    Options
    For me, I quit smoking and gained 38 pounds. I stayed that way for 1 1/2 years. The smoking issue was done and over. Then I began my journey to lose that 38 pounds and I have! I actually didn't weigh myself for 3 weeks or so when I started MFP, so it is showing 31 lbs. lost. Either way I'm back at my pre smoking weight!

I spoiled myself when I quit, BAD I know but it helped. I "was" and stress WAS a DQ freak, sweet pastries, etc. and turns out I was eating about 3000 calories a day.........OMG I could not believe it. But my size 14 plants going on size 16 proved it. I am now 136 pounds and HOLDING in a size 4 & 6 depending on the style. Since quitting those stupid cig's I DON'T CRAVE SWEETS barely at all. Infact I don't use sugar either too sweet YUCK I use Truvia.

I continue to love me withough huffing and puffing and smelling LIKE CRAP. Couldn't believe I did that for so long. What an idiot I was.
  • jbg17200
    jbg17200 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was always active with sports as a kid, to the extent that I would have 2 dinners and still be struggling to maintain weight. As I got older and started working, I still had very active jobs that all involved being outside and running around and moving heavy things and could eat whatever I wanted. After college I got my first "real" job which involved sitting at a desk most of the day, happy hours, and bringing "treats" to work. To compound this I had also gone on the "boyfriend diet" for a few years and was eating what, and more importantly how much he ate which started the weight gain. A few years later after moving around and breaking up I got really depressed and turned to food as my only comfort. While I have gotten out of the location and job that made me so unhappy, I am still working on getting my relationship with food back undercontrol and rebuilding my self esteem and self worth to realize it is OK to focus on me!

It also does not help that I LOVE sweets and have a very hard time turning them down, so I am working on allowing myself a treat but in a smaller portion. Now anything I bake, I bake in 1/2 portions so 1 cookie is automatically smaller than what it used to be.
  • hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I've gone through three major weight gains in my life that added up to putting me into the overweight category.

Once when I went from high school (5'2", 95 pounds), during which I played center midfield and ATE so much yet still looked underweight, to university (5'2", 125 - probably my best weight ever) where I stopped working out but kept up my bad diet - perogie day in the cafeteria was my favourite day ever! Eventually I started swimming about 2 km a day and while I stayed the same weight (thankfully!) I got into great shape.

Once when I started dating my husband (5'2", 125), which coincided with my graduation from university. I stopped swimming as much and went up to around 145 pounds.

Then I got sick. I was trying to lose weight, but lost it everywhere but my belly. Turns out I had an ovarian tumor that got to be the size of a football by the time I got a doctor to acknowledge that I was sick. I was up to about 145 after surgery and recovery. During recovery, I started weight training and got into good shape then, but I didn't watch my diet at all, so I went up to my highest weight of 165. Then I got pregnant, during which I went up to 185, which is totally a normal weight to gain during pregnancy.

I had my baby 10 months ago and through bootcamp and breastfeeding, by about 4 months after she was born, I got back down to 165, but held there for a little bit before joining MFP and taking diet into account. I've always been afraid of getting into dieting because I've watched so many people yo-yo diet throughout my life. Now, I'm managing some other health conditions and my weight and am back down to 146.5 as of yesterday.

What I've learned is that I don't manage my health well during transitions in life - I need to move from job to job and from life stage to life stage without failing myself. Oh and not get any more ovarian tumors... ugh. I need to keep up physical activity, and learn more about managing my calories. I also need to not be afraid of the scale. When I don't check it often enough, it can get out of control while I stay in denial.