Do Paleo-eaters hate Darwin?

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    People that stay away from the majority of processed foods get flack no matter what they call it..
    That's because they insist that any other food is poison and will kill us all, no matter what!

no, no they don't.

I can't tell if you're for real. But you're highly entertaining.

I like to keep people guessing

Contradicting yourself doesn't lend to your credibility.

How am I contradicting myself? I never said all processed food is poison and it will kill everyone. Why is it you guys like to glaze over words and piece together what you want to satisfy your need to argue?

First off, like you haven't done the same thing MULTIPLE times in this thread. Secondly, you keep accusing us of doing things that you yourself are guilty of so that is whatever...

But, thirdly, you made this statement:
    I completely agree that we have evolved, and some people take the whole "Paleo eating" lifestyle to the extreme for no reason. But some of these processed foods have some scary ingredients in them. Especially in the US, there are foods that are allowed here that are banned in other countries due to the ingredients in them.

Implying that the US government is allowing its citizens to be poisoned. Remember, we had that discussion back on page 3.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Mexico by 1 percent, I wonder where their eating...

Probably ... Mexico?
    Maybe they're eating in the US?
    So they're not sneaking over the border for jobs. They just want our food!

I know it's probably totally worth risking one's life and freedom for some Outback steak.

They want our Tacos and chicken strips.... mmmm chicken strips... and cheeze its!!!
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    People that stay away from the majority of processed foods get flack no matter what they call it..
    That's because they insist that any other food is poison and will kill us all, no matter what!

no, no they don't.

Honestly, I've never met, known, or talked to a person that "eats clean" or follows a Paleo diet that says that. They are just (and I'm generalizing here) aware that they are much better choices to make than eating out of a box.

I'd like to know where all these super crazy insistent "no bad-foods" eaters are that everyone keeps talking about :indifferent:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

no, no they don't.

Honestly, I've never met, known, or talked to a person that "eats clean" or follows a Paleo diet that says that. They are just (and I'm generalizing here) aware that they are much better choices to make than eating out of a box.

I'd like to know where all these super crazy insistent "no bad-foods" eaters are that everyone keeps talking about :indifferent:
    Have you even read this thread?
  • k8blujay2
    Options

no, no they don't.

Or just about any thread on the subject in the Food and Nutrition section.
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    again...it's simply about putting quality foods into the only body I have. It doesn't mean I can't enjoy cake and ice cream every once in a while.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    again...it's simply about putting quality foods into the only body I have. It doesn't mean I can't enjoy cake and ice cream every once in a while.
    I do that, too. I just call it eating.
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Since the theory of evolution completely destroys the logic of paleo-dieting?

Well, not really it doesn't. Evolution (and other sciences) suggests that we (humans) have evolved to eat whatever is available. If we can get nutrients (calories) from it and it doesn't kill us before we get to mate, we eat it. Different societies have and still do wildly different diets, from virtually all meat to very high carbohydrate. Jared Diamond, in Guns, Germs and Steel suggests that we have, wherever we find ourselves, been able to sustain ourselves on whatever plants and animals are available locally. Some plants require quite extensive processing before they are suitable for eating though (e.g. masa).

It seems to me that what Paleo does do is cherry-pick a few half-understood ideas from evolution, anthropology and the like and smush them into a half-baked theory of what we should eat nowadays. Basically, they say that cavemen evolved to eat it, and humans have not had time to adapt (evolve) to "modern" agriculture in the past 10,000 years. So, if cavemen didn't eat it nor should we. The ignore of course that we have no idea exactly what cavemen really did eat. They ignore that there was no monolithic caveman cuisine. They ignore that the fruit and veggies available today were not available to cavemen. They ignore evolution, gut microbiota and other science that say other than what they want to hear. Or they say "ignore the caveman behind the curtain!"

So no, they don't hate Darwin. He just gets misused and abused yet again.

Eat what you want. But the Paleo diet is basically based on pseudoscience.

Love it. As a recent Somecards suggested, "I'm sorry you base your diet on what people who hadn't even invented the wheel ate."
  • k8blujay2
    Options

Right! I have made some pretty awesome (and from scratch) Italian Cream cakes... with toasted coconut (that I toasted myself)... if that ain't quality right there... I don't know what is. :drinker:

Now I want cake.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

I think you guys are confused on this whole argument of freedom and stuff that's pretty bad for you, chemical wise. I guess a lot of drugs should be legal to as i'm sure they could be processed and marketed just as well, and a lot of them are also bad for you, and some not so much.

I like the approach.

I actually hold this exact stance. Just sayin'. What do you want--a nanny-state?
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    misread this as

"Paleo-eaters ate Darwin"

is human flesh paleo??

Yes, but only with a side of bacon.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I am convinced that if I live long enough, I will probably die from something. So f*** it, pass the chocolate cake.
    You go ahead. I'm gonna live forever. I know it hasn't been done before but someone has to be first.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options

Or just about any thread on the subject in the Food and Nutrition section.

Yes.....I'm not a total n00b :laugh: And I have not once seen someone say "I AM PALEO, AND IF YOU EAT [insert list of foods here] YOU WILL DIE AN IMMEDIATE AND HORRIBLE DEATH!!!!!!!" or something else really extreme and crazy that is along those lines.

Everybody is making assumptions of everybody (or maybe I'm just assuming that they are :laugh:). "Clean-eaters" assume that when "clean-eater-haters" say they can eat whatever they want that you mean "I will eat fast-food over anything else," which is more than likely not the case. "Clean-eater-haters" assume that all "clean-eaters" are completely insane for not wanting to eat processed foods, which I honestly don't think that's crazy at all.

Like I said myself in another thread today, and I didn't get any answer (that I've noticed yet), if someone can explain to me how, for example, eating a Big Mac meal with fries and a pop is just as healthy as eating a home-cooked chicken breast with fresh veggies, then myself (as a supporter of "clean eating") and possibly others will stop promoting the various "clean eating" lifestyles.

Yes, moderation, yes, lack of moderation even in "healthy" foods can cause someone to be overweight, but how many overweight people do you know only eat non-processed foods (in the generalized sense of the term)? I don't know any :indifferent:
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

First off, like you haven't done the same thing MULTIPLE times in this thread. Secondly, you keep accusing us of doing things that you yourself are guilty of so that is whatever...

But, thirdly, you made this statement:
    I completely agree that we have evolved, and some people take the whole "Paleo eating" lifestyle to the extreme for no reason. But some of these processed foods have some scary ingredients in them. Especially in the US, there are foods that are allowed here that are banned in other countries due to the ingredients in them.

Implying that the US government is allowing its citizens to be poisoned. Remember, we had that discussion back on page 3.

Are you serious? Where in my statement does it say I think the government is allowing it's citizens to be POISONED. You sir or ma'am are arguing for argument's sake. I said SOME foods have scary stuff in them.

You keep taking bits and pieces of my comments and piecing them together and drawing your own conclusions and then you tell me I'm contradicting myself. You can imply all you want, but that's not what I said at all.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    There are a couple very vocal Paleo-people at my CrossFit facility. Today, I kid you not, I overheard a discussion about how processed food gives people cancer and a host of other maladies. Just throwing this out there for for all of the Paleo-people who are saying, "Omg, guise, no one ever says that!"
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    There are a couple very vocal Paleo-people at my CrossFit facility. Today, I kid you not, I overheard a discussion about how processed food gives people cancer and a host of other maladies. Just throwing this out there for for all of the Paleo-people who are saying, "Omg, guise, no one ever says that!"

I've heard those conversations too, and I don't see it that way. People that "eat clean" or Paleo get cancer too, it's not always about food. However there are a few certain people here that are twisting my words around trying to make it seem that way >_<.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    this thread makes me want to put my tin foil hat on ....scary stuff out there...
  • MUALaurenClark
    Options

Right! I have made some pretty awesome (and from scratch) Italian Cream cakes... with toasted coconut (that I toasted myself)... if that ain't quality right there... I don't know what is. :drinker:

Now I want cake.

yes but...sugar.
    sugar = not quality "foods"
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say we've evolved to eat like we do, or less of us would be so fat.
  • MUALaurenClark
    Options

Yes.....I'm not a total n00b :laugh: And I have not once seen someone say "I AM PALEO, AND IF YOU EAT [insert list of foods here] YOU WILL DIE AN IMMEDIATE AND HORRIBLE DEATH!!!!!!!" or something else really extreme and crazy that is along those lines.

Everybody is making assumptions of everybody (or maybe I'm just assuming that they are :laugh:). "Clean-eaters" assume that when "clean-eater-haters" say they can eat whatever they want that you mean "I will eat fast-food over anything else," which is more than likely not the case. "Clean-eater-haters" assume that all "clean-eaters" are completely insane for not wanting to eat processed foods, which I honestly don't think that's crazy at all.

Like I said myself in another thread today, and I didn't get any answer (that I've noticed yet), if someone can explain to me how, for example, eating a Big Mac meal with fries and a pop is just as healthy as eating a home-cooked chicken breast with fresh veggies, then myself (as a supporter of "clean eating") and possibly others will stop promoting the various "clean eating" lifestyles.

Yes, moderation, yes, lack of moderation even in "healthy" foods can cause someone to be overweight, but how many overweight people do you know only eat non-processed foods (in the generalized sense of the term)? I don't know any :indifferent:

agree...unfortunately, i actually saw someone in another thread who tried to argue that soda or snickers could be healthier than broccoli...

http://www.jcmcculley.com/wp-content/2013/02/Jackie-Chan-Meme.jpeg