Cutting down on weed, weight gain

1235»

Replies

• DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Weed actually has a lot of well-documented and researched health benefits in a WIDE range of areas, and as far as I know (from the most recent studies I've read) not a single case of cancer can be linked directly and specifically to weed smoking. Obviously that's not to say that weed smokers never get cancer, but no case of cancer has been linked to having been caused by smoking weed specifically. In fact, now they think that it may actually help to prevent cancer!

And just like a lot of other people have said, I and most everyone else I know that smokes it are educated and productive members of society with full time jobs. There's always going to be cases of people who take things to negative extremes, and that includes weed smokers, but that doesn't mean that the weed itself is the issue.

For me, it does give me the munchies, but the up-side is that everything tastes so good when I smoke, it's just not as good when I don't...which makes it VERY easy to resist sweets and snacks during the day when I'm not smoking! I just think "I'll have something later and it'll be way more worth it"...especially helpful when people at work bring in cookies and cakes and that kind of crap, at most I might bring a cookie or two home for later, but I never snack at work.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Has to be said..

One more failure in life, a druggie at 20 years old

One more failure in life, living off litteraly protein shakes and olive oil

My only failure in life has been putting 20lb in my 50s and from what you weedies say , not smoking weed !!!!

Not one of you would put weedie on your CV as recreational habbit and there s a reason - you wouldnt get the job nor would you be allowed to addopt kids - all with with good reason I think you ll find when the fog clears !
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Has to be said..

My only failure in life has been putting 20lb in my 50s and from what you weedies say , not smoking weed !!!!

Not one of you would put weedie on your CV as recreational habbit and there s a reason - you wouldnt get the job nor would you be allowed to addopt kids - all with with good reason I think you ll find when the fog clears !

Uh...there's a lot of things I wouldn't put on a resume or CV, because I'm smart enough to know to tailor it to the job description.

ETA: I get the feeling that this guy is a lost cause..you're logic is extremely flawed and seems to be based purly on those outdated Reefer Madness-types of propaganda.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Has to be said..

You also wouldn't say that you live off protein shakes and olive oil on a CV.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Has to be said..

Ouch harsh words.
    I am so glad I am not a failure in life even though I have been smoking mj since I was 15.

never a truer word spoken.
    you must be very proud to state you ve been a druggie since 15, I just hope you cant have kids.

Wow. Not too educated on the facts about this particular substance I see?
  • Hi,
    I've smoked weed for three years now near enough everyday. I have decided to cut down on my weed intake as it contributes to an unhealthy lifestyle. Weed has caused me to be extremely skinny, and I hate it! I was wondering, if I cut down my smoking to once or twice a week, would I still gain the weight that is expected after quitting weed? Hope someone can help answer this for me, otherwise I'll have to just quit for good!
    Many thanks,
    Jmkhoy

First, I think your honesty is great. Tobacco is known as an appetite suppressant. Marijuana is a little different in that it has two main strains. One is the sativa which affects your brain and "ups" your energy which is why one would be thinner if smoking that. The Indica works on your sympathetic nervous system and slows everything down (you are more likely to feel a "relax" and move less). Having said that - whether you are smoking marijuana for medical purposes or as a lifestyle choice, you should look at your nutrition and go from there. Evaluate your true goal in all of this - is to not to smoke it anymore? If it is for medical purposes, how will you deal with the condition for which you are taking it. If it is from a pure lifestyle perspective, then are you looking to simply reduce it because of certain effects? Either way, you may find that ingesting it versus smoking it is better for you, overall.

Nutrition, I believe, is the first step, and then bringing some oxygen to your body through moderate exercising to start.
  • I think that when a person comes to these boards, looking for help and they are honest - who here really has room to pass judgment?

Eating unhealthy and carrying around large amounts of excess of weight is bad too, right? It increases the change of heart disease, cancers, arthritis and the list goes on. We would never yell at each other on these boards about these things; instead there is support and cheering going on. It should be no different when a person comes here and is asking for help about something else. Resorting to derogatory comments is just not kind, in my opinion.

Be to people what you want them to be to you.
  • NewspaperMomma
    NewspaperMomma Posts: 16 Member
    I tottaly agree, my husbands a skinny fence post, and if he doesn't smoke, he just doesn't feel the hungry nerve to eat....
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Has to be said..

Lol weedies :laugh:
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Regarding the "not be allowed to adopt" comment...I can't believe I'm even dignifying it with a response, but in case anyone was actually worried, I have a degree in social work and that's not accurate, lol. That's like saying if they found out you had a beer after work every night you wouldn't be allowed to adopt. If one is a good and suitable person and otherwise meets the criteria, they'd likely never even ask whether or not you smoke weed occasionally. It sounds like buddy has been watching too much Fox news lol
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Yeah...if you go a few days a week without smoking youd probably gain a little bit.... Im so jealous of you ha... I have to quit and im scared to see my weight go up!
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Has to be said..

Ouch harsh words.
    I am so glad I am not a failure in life even though I have been smoking mj since I was 15.

never a truer word spoken.
    you must be very proud to state you ve been a druggie since 15, I just hope you cant have kids.

Be careful not to fall off that very high horse.

I just feel sorry for you. Not for the kid that smokes weed.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member

You are right - I wouldn't put weed on my CV because I have no need of one since I successfully run my own business - and even employ a couple of people part time....all while under the horrible spell of weed :noway:

As for weed and metabolism - I don't think there are any human studies that show that link. However there are some animal studies that have shown some compounds in marijuana do raise metabolism: THCV and CBD...in mice. THCV also has also been shown to ameliorate insulin levels...again in mice. So meh. If there are human studies I havent come across them - would be interesting to se though!
  • Nikki_WantsIt
    Nikki_WantsIt Posts: 204 Member
    Damn... it makes me wanna eat all da foodz.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Omg people piss me off..weed is not bad. And anyone against it im sure hasnt even tried it... It helps me so much with insomnia, weight loss, stress... Its awesome! And so much better than alcohol....but people arnt quick to judge people that drink? And yes, weed causes terrible munchies... But when you smoke weed daily it totally changes your appitite and i give weed a lot of credit for my 15 pound weight loss. It pisses me off that i have to quit for a job....stupid.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Has to be said..

I think you need to eat some carbs brah... you sound hangry

and LOL at 'weedies'
This discussion has been closed.