Love this and agree with all! :)
  • maddogg82
    maddogg82 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Number 18.. had me rollin.. :laugh:
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i look forward to these things happening.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    1. Half true. I made it through my first HM without a lost toe nail, so sort of upset. I see it as a right-of-passage for a runner to get this at least once in their running career.

2. Hasn't happened with me, but I am military so that might not count.

3. Word! The president of my running club is a paraplegic. He races in the wheelchair but we still call him a runner.

4. Not completely true. I see a lot of people who only run and haven't gotten injured. But CT does provide better injury prevention.

5. True, and they will tell you to shut up all the time about it.

6. Maybe for others, but this never happens to me.

7. Haven't hit this phase yet.

8. Totally in this phase right now.

9. Word, happened to me during my HM, so I can only imagine training for 26!

10. No comment.

11. True!

12. Shoule be reworded to, "Most of the time other runners won’t always say “hi” to you when you run by them. "

13. Again, no comment.

14. Running is only expensive if you make it expensive.

15. Extremely true.

16. Um...what kind of laundry detergent are you using?

17. I like being in the middle.

18. No comment.

19. 100% spot on.

20. True...but I think my most memorable race is my first 5K.
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I was JUST thinking the other day that there should be a PDF that all new runners receive that spell out some of the more embarrassing bathroom issues that come up when you run. I've been running since March and I told my husband just last night, "How come no one ever tells you that running makes you have to poop a lot! And often right in the middle of your run!"

OMG so true! And there should be a PDF!
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    #20 is so true. I crossed the finish line of my first full marathon this past Sunday. I almost cried like a baby and I will never forget that experience.

#25 When people come to you for running advice since you're a runner or say you inspired them to start running you also feel like a rockstar.
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    put so beautifully. Yes, running is addicting.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Wow it is funny how on such a fun post as this some people have to figure out how to throw "water" on the post in a very subtle and condescending way :grumble:

OP - ROCK ON - I like ALL the points!:drinker:
  • trevnem
    trevnem Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Beginner runner here!

This is inspiring and terrifying, all rolled into one awesome post! :drinker:

my thoughts exactly :happy:
  • syk731
    syk731 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    1. Your feet will look like crap. Blisters, black toenails, callouses. If you get pedicures, just apologize when you go in.

I've been running off and on for most of my adult life, although I probably wouldn't have considered myself to be a runner until this year. I ran my first half just last weekend.

I went for a regular check-up last month, and the NP asked me about my exercise, so I said I'd been running. When she got around to examining my feet, she said I had the nicest feet for a runner she'd ever seen. I thought it was an odd comment, as I didn't know what she meant, but I guess I do now! I luckily do not have any blisters or black toenails. I have a few callouses, but they definitely are from before I was running a lot.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    When they get stinky throw them in the wash with vinegar and baking soda. It does the trick!!
    This works beautifully.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    LOL @ 18. Yes they do and if you are ever feeling constipated, running helps with that too.:wink:
  • 2b_perfect00
    2b_perfect00 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    " When people (non-runner types) learn you are a runner, they often like to tell you how much they hate running or that running will ruin your knees. "
    I HATE running! LOL
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    AWESOME post!!!

For me it's #18! LOL!
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    :drinker: DO runners even lift? They mostly look dehydrated to me
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    To who ever mentioned the dreaded first mile...that should definitely be in the list somewhere. No matter how often you run, or how many miles you run regularly, the first mile always sucks. As someone mentioned in another post somewhere..."everyone hates the first mile...even the Kenyans"
    So true..
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    1. Your feet will look like crap. Blisters, black toenails, callouses. If you get pedicures, just apologize when you go in.
    Blisters and callouses yes, but never a black toe nail. Was told getting shoes 1/2 size larger than you actually need prevents this and after 13 years of running, this has proven true for me.

2. When people (non-runner types) learn you are a runner, they often like to tell you how much they hate running or that running will ruin your knees.

3. You don’t have to look like a runner to be a runner.

4. If you only run and don’t do anything else (cross train, strength train), you will probably get injured.

5. Most people, especially non-runners, really don’t care that much about your running.

6. You will run a race and in the middle of the race you will tell yourself you will never do this again. Yet, 30 minutes after you are done you will surf the Internet for your next race. Running is kind of like childbirth that way.

7. You will go through phases where you feel totally inadequate as a runner.

8. You will go through phases where you feel totally like a rock star as a runner.

9. You might gain weight instead of lose weight while training for a marathon.

12. Sometimes other runners won’t always say “hi” to you when you run by them.
    All truths. The last one is especially irriating.

10. Having a spare pair of shorts in your car is important. Soiling of all kinds can happen. Eww!

13. You might pee yourself while your run, or worse.
    Never experienced, thankfully.

11. You will be pissed if someone refers to you as a “jogger” instead of a “runner.”
    Damn straight!

14. Running is expensive. It’s not just about a pair of shoes and shorts and a top. There are race entries, massages, watches, sports bras, cute running skirts, gels, blocks and recovery stuff.

15. You will get addicted. Yes, there are worse things to be obsessed about than running (like meth and prostitutes), but you might be surprised by how hooked you get into the whole running thing once you start.
    Truth.

16. After awhile, you cannot get the stench out of your running clothes.
    Tide ACTIVE is really good at getting the stench out. Also those new Downy scent beads you can add to the wash work well too. Tide with Febreze does NOT work.

17. You will never be the fastest runner you know. You will always never be the slowest runner you know.
    Ugh... yes...

18. Farts happen. A lot.
    hahaha yes

19. Running performance is as much, if not more, about mental strength as your physical strength.

20. You will never forget crossing the finish line of your first marathon or half marathon. That moment in time will come to mean a lot to you. Your feet might not even touch the ground.
    Yes... again and again and again. Each race is a mental battle, each finish is memorable.