Geez, people can be so mean

Options
babyluu80
babyluu80 Posts: 58 Member
I was just reading an article about popular names and the comments are just full of hate. While I agree that some of the names sound kind of dumb or not something I would name my kids, I wouldn't go so far as say that the parents should be punched or make judgements on the parents lifestyle/education/etc. based on what they choose to name their kid. If you don't like it fine but there's no need to bash on the people because of what they named their kid or just assume that if a kid is named a certain name that they would grow up to be pretentious, cocky, or a douche bag. A name is just that, it's how they're raised that will turn them into the people they are as adults. Just my thoughts. :-D

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    first reply...
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I used to be pretty baby name judgmental, but damn ever since trying to find a name for this kids I take everything back I said. This is the most complicated thing in the world. What do you name something that isnt even born yet?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    oh cool
  • cuddlekits
    Options
    I dunno, normal names then yeah, that's extreme.

But the parents that named their kid "number 16 bus shelter", "Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii" and "Mafia No Fear" should really be shot.
    All of those were names from New Zealand by the way.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, but I have heard in the past to name your children a name that looks good on a business card. I really thought about that when I named my kids. I didn't want their name to be the reason they didn't get a job. I know it sounds harsh, but trust me, it happens...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I was just reading an article about popular names and the comments are just full of hate. While I agree that some of the names sound kind of dumb or not something I would name my kids, I wouldn't go so far as say that the parents should be punched or make judgements on the parents lifestyle/education/etc. based on what they choose to name their kid. If you don't like it fine but there's no need to bash on the people because of what they named their kid or just assume that if a kid is named a certain name that they would grow up to be pretentious, cocky, or a douche bag. A name is just that, it's how they're raised that will turn them into the people they are as adults. Just my thoughts. :-D
    Anyone who names a child Abcde should immediately have that child removed from his or her custody.

I mean, some names just scream, "BAD PARENT!!!"
  • heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Everybody is mean on the internet, they're all trying to be internet cool.

Only about 1% of them will ever be mean to your face though...
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    Laqueefa is a stupid *kitten* name. The end :sick:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Come on Escalade' we are out of here!!:angry:
  • heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, but I have heard in the past to name your children a name that looks good on a business card. I really thought about that when I named my kids. I didn't want their name to be the reason they didn't get a job. I know it sounds harsh, but trust me, it happens...

When naming my son I thought about how his name would sound if he grew up to be a doctor, or even just when he's 40.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

Ewwwwww...I'm in the 99th percentile....Take that standardized testing
  • babyluu80
    babyluu80 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    lol, I totally agree that those names from New Zealand are horrible and there's quite a few other names from around the world that are horrible and I feel bad for those kids but dang some of the comments on there were about names that you see more often these days. Like people complaining about names like Aidan, Brayden, Jaeden, Ella, etc. Should we all be named Jack or Lisa or George? The way I see it, what someone else names their kid isn't going to hurt or affect me so no need to leave nasty comments.
  • Routerninja
    Options
    http://notwithoutmyhandbag.com/blog/category/badbabynames/

Let that melt your brain for a while.
  • _John_
    Options
    most parents who name their children pretentious names are pretentious, so their children learn to be pretentious and thus there is some degree of self fulfilling prophecy.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    True, but I also think people should keep in mind that their kids will be trying to get hired by someone someday when they are naming them ridiculous things. "Anfreny" will probably have a tough time staying on top of the resume pile.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Note to self: name all your kids "Bill Gates" and "Steve Jobs"
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    lol, I totally agree that those names from New Zealand are horrible and there's quite a few other names from around the world that are horrible and I feel bad for those kids but dang some of the comments on there were about names that you see more often these days. Like people complaining about names like Aidan, Brayden, Jaeden, Ella, etc. Should we all be named Jack or Lisa or George? The way I see it, what someone else names their kid isn't going to hurt or affect me so no need to leave nasty comments.
    Except for Ella, all of those are very trendy names. Ella is "trendy" in that there are a lot of them, but it's an old-fashioned name that mans "beauty" and I really like it.

I'm not a fan of trendy, in general, though. But still better than Abcde.
  • _John_
    Options
    True, but I also think people should keep in mind that their kids will be trying to get hired by someone someday when they are naming them ridiculous things. "Anfreny" will probably have a tough time staying on top of the resume pile.

my mom and sister both worked as RN's in labor and delivery many years and they've told some me that some ridiculous names are because the mothers just can't spell...
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options

Ewwwwww...I'm in the 99th percentile....Take that standardized testing

This is the funniest comment :smile:

I only have an issue with the made up spellings of names that already have normal spellings.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, if it's posted on the worldwide web, they leave themselves open for all kinds of opinions, nice and ugly.