Maybe I dont want this.....

Options

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    When I first joined I had someone on here tell me I was not ready. It was a slap in the face and I hated it. So I wanted to show her I was ready. That was well over 2 years ago. The only reason I am not at my goal weight is that I had some health issues and brain surgery that followed. I don't really care about the number anymore. My clothes fit well (actually most of them are getting to be too big again) and I am happy with the way I look. Don't let yourself get in the way. You can stop making excuses anytime.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    You may have a food addiction- Talk to your doctor and maybe a counselor. You're not happy this way, so it seems to be more "how to" than "do I want this."
  • earvizu92
    earvizu92 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Tommorow is a new day............
  • archoo_letsdothis
    archoo_letsdothis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    HI,
    You are here and seeking help, that is step 1.

Another user had posted series of steps, smaller easier ones first.

Start by logging everything you eat. Try making some changes if you feel upto it, but Start by Logging every single thing you put in your mouth. That will give you some accountability. Remember you are doing this for yourself and a happier future. Just log in every single nut or piece of candy you eat.
  • KatiesNewGoals
    KatiesNewGoals Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate! I've been where you are; having the best intentions, but then having them go to the wayside with emotional eating! But you can do this! I've had an account here for well over 2 years, with many starts and stops (and a baby), and I think what has made the difference this time around is not setting myself up with goals that were unrealistic at the beginning.

I wanted to do it all at once. Boom! Diet changed, exercising 5 days a week, in the morning, after work. I was basically setting myself up for failure, with goals and intentions that weren't realistic for me. I recommend starting small, with manageable goals. Just get active doing anything, walking, running, anything. Slowly begin to change your diet with healthier choices. This is not to say eliminate everything you love, but try and portion it out, and make it work into your calorie goal.

But you CAN DO IT! Good Luck, and stay persistent!
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I second the talk to a dr or counselor advice. I also recommend the book Beck Diet Solution--it isn't really a diet, it is a way to change your thinking. I am an emotional eater, and it has helped me deal with all of those negative emotions. It is a spiral--eat because you are stressed, depressed, etc., gain weight from overeating, feel worse about yourself, then eat some more. I won't say I am 100% successful, but I am proud of my progress and I know you can do it, too.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear that you are feeling this way. I was like this when it came to weight loss for many years. I saw a couple of different dieticians even and they both gave me sound advice, but I didn't want to hear it at the time. I felt like people were breathing down my back to lose weight. It was overwhelming for me and I blew it off.
    I have to ask though... Why have you started to binge eat after being slim for so many years??? What is it that has brought about this change in your life? I have struggled with weight issues since I was in junior high and didn't feel like it was important enough for me to put time into me, but I have found that if I don't take care of myself I can't be there to help others. When my grandson was born in December of last year, I really decided that it was time for a change so I could be a "cool, fun grandma"! He's my motivation!
    So I would say to you, it's time to figure out why you have changed and then figure out what your motivation is. Good luck!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Nah, you're right. You don't want this.

Better luck next time. When your life finally magically fixes itself. Or something.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have found that once I am "good" for a few days, I feel like i can do it and then i keep going. Starting for me is tough but once i get going, i'm gone. Maybe it's a confidence thing, but tomorrow IS another day. Try logging everything ahead of time, or log as you go. You might be more reluctant to eat that 2nd or 3rd donut once you see how many calories they take up!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    Options
    I believe that till you like yourself unconditionally or a life changing health event happens (diabetes, heart attack, etc) happens, a person will continue with habits they've become accustomed to. People desire to be lean and healthy, but let's face it, it's hard work to do when one is overweight/obese.
    So really until you're sick and tired of being sick and tired, and get a back bone instead of a wishbone, you'll continue with the same behavior. Change takes sacrifice and determination. Those traits can be learned, but do take time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mamagirl49
    mamagirl49 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump for the mayo clinic article
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Alright... well first off, let me begin by saying that therapy is good for the soul, and would not be a bad place to start.

Perhaps, you should start off in small steps. Maybe set your calorie goal to just maintenance, and practice logging every day, and keeping yourself within your maintenance. Then, after you've successfully maintained for awhile, cut out 100 calories off your goal. And then once you are confident you can eat at 100 calorie deficit, shave off another 100, and then another 100.

Once you are doing that, then you could set a time out of your day for a walk (add some calories back in, maybe 100 or so). Once you are consistent at that, you could start looking at lifting programs.

Honestly, you don't have to make the changes that you need to make all at once. Make them one at a time, and when you are comfortable with one, add in the next one.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    one thing i have learned in 301 days of MFP is that you have to be in the right headspace to lose weight. You sound to me like you're still eating (overeating in some cases) because of another reason. For me, I stopped caring about myself when I was depressed. As I healed mentally, I started to treat myself differently and one day I simply woke up, found MFP and started. Hadn't really even been thinking about dieting, just all clicked together one morning in bed.

Since that day, it's not been that tough. I have my moments but I've never felt deprived or challenged or anything. It was time.

If it's time for you you'll be able to stop but it sounds to me like you perhaps have a couple of other things to look at first to explain why you can eat so much, and why you have put on weight. It's not that you're 'broken' just that something isn't aligned for you right now.
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I used to be this same person. But one day my son poked me in the stomach and said getting soft and fluffy there. That was my moment and I jumped in with every bit I had and never looked back. Once you have your moment you will jump into healthy eating and exercise, I just hope you have it soon. Also once you start loosing weight regularly you get excited about it and work hard to keep it up.
  • Boboburton
    Options
    Something will click when you are ready, whether you know what that something is or not. In the mean time..........NEVER.GIVE.UP.

:wink:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Keep piling up "tomorrows" and all you'll end up with is a bunch of empty yesterdays.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    I have been there. You know what you need to do, but putting it into practise is so tough sometimes. Different approaches will work for different people. From what I have read some people on here seem to use the whole "i'm embarrassed in myself" to fuel them, but that never worked for me at all. I had no reason to be embarrassed I just held a bit of extra weight. There are worse things to be in life. Once I worked on my self esteem and mental health the easier it became to eat right and the easier it became to get out the house and exercise. It helped me to appreciate myself at a larger size rather than berate myself, wear nice clothes whatever my size and take pride in my appearance. It might help to speak to someone like a therapist or doctor if you feel you need to.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    You do want this.

My advice is that you need to make a really serious decision today about your habits. I am very much an all or nothing person (not so good at moderation, but that is just me), so if I were you, I would put myself on a very strict diet until I could control myself. For me, that means protein and veggies for a couple of weeks, period. This does a couple of things - helps control intake/calories, and also helps you to appreciate other foods (ie one bite of a doughnut tastes amazing if you haven't had anything sweet in a few weeks).

I've been there and am here to support you! YOU CAN DO IT.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    This book may or may not be helpful:
    http://psychcentral.com/lib/book-review-brain-over-binge/0005848

Review of Kathryn Hansen's Brain Over Binge. Here's an excerpt from the review:

Jack Trimpey’s book Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction gave Hansen the tools she needed for her recovery. She learned that her urges to binge came from her subcortex or “lower brain,” the seat of her survival instinct. Kicked into high gear by her anorexia and by excessive exercise, her lower brain reacted to the threat of starvation by signaling her to eat even when food was plentiful. The more Hansen gratified that urge, the more it became a habit, literally changing the neural pathways in her brain and giving rise to her “binge-created brain-wiring problem.”

She compares her lower brain’s signals to a child throwing a tantrum to get a toy. Giving in to the child’s demands reinforces the tantrum. The tantrum can then be practiced in additional situations; once rewarded, it becomes linked with those situations. In this way, the “triggers” for Hansen’s binges kept multiplying; but they were only associations. The true cause of Hansen’s binges had always been the urge to binge itself.

Trying to substitute her binges with other activities had failed, in the same way that responding to a tantrum with a hug fails if the child really wants a toy. Hansen’s tantrums — her lower brain’s signals to binge — succeeded only because she paid attention to them. Her attention led to increased neural firing, which in turn strengthened that pathway in her brain and literally fed her habit.

Her lower brain could not control her actions, but her prefrontal cortex (her “highest human brain” and the seat of her free will) could. Hansen recognized her irrational urges as “neurological junk” unrelated to actual need. Rather than try to fight, reason with, or “surf” those urges, she acknowledged their presence and otherwise ignored them. Her detachment stripped them of their emotional significance, making them less of a threat. Their neural connections weakened until the urge to binge simply faded away. Hansen’s need to purge as compensation for her bingeing vanished in turn.

She likens her “brain over binge” technique to the practice of “mindfulness” taught by neuropsychiatrist Jeffrey Schwartz to people with obsessive-compulsive disorder. Mindfulness involves observing spontaneous thoughts and feelings in a way that is nonjudgmental, as though they belong to someone else. Doing so helps patients resist the urges associated with OCD.

Central to Hansen’s recovery was the knowledge that she could take matters into her own hands rather than make excuses for her behavior.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of good advice in this thread (and at least one negative post - get use to it - people love to be mean on the internet) but I want to re-iterate some of the points already made in my own words because, heck, that's what forums are for!

It's true that you might not be ready. I wasn't always ready to give it a shot full time (you know, the lifestyle change vs. one or two days of being good). But what I will say, is that even making some minor changes now, whether or not you are ready, will help when you are ready to commit to it for the long haul.

The great news is that committing it to the long haul doesn't necessarily mean you have to swear off any certain foods or not enjoy yourself. You just have to learn how to do it in a way that's better for you overall. And you will learn - it just takes some time.

Just know that you're going to over-eat from time to time still. It's just bound to happen (no one is perfect), but the big thing to remember is that no one got fat from over-eating at one meal. It's over-eating all the time that does that. So if you mess up at one meal, move on and go right back to it at the next meal. Don't blow off the whole day because you slipped up once (a friend of mine put it this way: if you get a paper cut on your finger, are you going to chop your whole arm off? If not, then don't screw up your whole day cause you ate a donut after your healthy breakfast).

The other thing I will say is that it's been much, much easier to stay motivated to lose weight by trying to love myself now. It's sort of this odd moment. People are negative about "fat acceptance" because they think it's people accepting themselves in an unhealthy way, but honestly, I never viewed it as that. I viewed it as loving myself now, knowing that I am worth it, yeah, even while I'm fat, which keeps me motivated to get some weight off and be healthier. When I kept seeing myself as fat and ugly, I never tried to do anything better for myself and would wallow in pizza and doritos. But by taking care of myself and being fat and beautiful, dammit, I want to do better for me!

You will get there. Just small steps to an overall more awesome you!