20 Things No One Tells You About Running

Options

Replies

• mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    :drinker: DO runners even lift? They mostly look dehydrated to me

This runner does ! Squats and deads have done more for my speed and endurance as anything I have ever done in the past
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    These are all great and SO true! If one more person tells me "it's bad for your knees", I will scream! LOL. Thanks for sharing.

My god yes, #2 so much. I'm SO freaking tired of hearing this it's not even funny. I'm close to the point of physical violence when hearing this. Someone I was close to would tell me this everytime I mentioned running and it took a lot of discipline to try and calmly explain to her why this was a stupid thing to say instead of grabbing the nearest table and flipping it in rage. *headdesk*

I still have some women tell me it's bad for my "female organs." :noway:
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Since I am newer to running I appreciate this list. I wish someone would have warned me about some of these things, at least now I don't feel like such a weirdo :) Just ran my first half marathon (previously I walked them) two weeks ago and while I didn't cry, I can say it was a very memorable moment in my life. No one can take that away from me!
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    13. You might pee yourself while your run, or worse.

Umm, gross! I'd rather add a few minutes to my race time and make use of a portapotty.
  • NBeehler
    Options
    Great Post!
  • MonaRaeHill
    MonaRaeHill Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    That's really cute. :)

Hey. I used to use vaseline on my feet, when I ran. I haven't run in years and probably won't run seriously, ever again.

I DO hike some pretty good miles/trails and I've found that can blister up your feet pretty good, too, even with a pair of good fitting boots. So........a trick I learned from running was to use the Dr. Johnson gel insoles (you cut them to fit your shoe). I also take care, at night, to care for my feet. I use Sombra on them, put a pair of old socks on them, and by morning, they are well, again. Sombra heats if heat is needed, cools if that's what's needed. The stuff is amazing. I got mine from a naturopath but I think you can find it on the internet, maybe.
    Cheers.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    HA! love it!!
  • blue_etheria
    blue_etheria Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    "4. If you only run and don’t do anything else (cross train, strength train), you will probably get injured."

Yes. I learned this the hard way. I ran for 4 months, did my first 5k, felt awesome, lost 10 lbs, and then I injured myself at the beginning of this year. Ankle tendonitis and stress fracture. I'm now on my 2nd round of physical therapy, and I probably won't be able to run for a few more months. I rejoined the gym and started swimming laps, and once I'm able to start running again, I will keep my gym membership so I can strength train and start weight lifting.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    maybe a lot of this has to do with marathons or super long distance running, but not running in general.....
  • blondiebabe92
    blondiebabe92 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yes bodily functions during runs! It always makes me have to pee! Sometimes number two. I hate it. I am training to do a 9mi race and my biggest fear is staying hydrated and not having to use the bathroom
  • Domane1963
    Domane1963 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Now I feel like a fake runner because my feet aren't ugly......
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    :drinker: DO runners even lift? They mostly look dehydrated to me

This runner does ! Squats and deads have done more for my speed and endurance as anything I have ever done in the past

So do I!

Go PACKERS!
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    1, 7, 8, 15, and 19.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    ooh, I hadn't thought about depreciation of my shoes...I guess at $0.23/mile my last shoes were really ready to be retired :bigsmile: Only at a $1.44/mile on the new ones.

Oh and I've lost 3 toenails since 4th of July (not the big toe); I think it was from running in shoes in sand and surf though.
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    RUNNING FARTS! WHOOP! :laugh:
  • timothydriver
    timothydriver Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Oh yes I have experienced almost all of these things so true awesome post!
  • Amcolecchi
    Amcolecchi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    YES all so true!!!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    The black toe nail thing - that's a fit issue, unless you're running 24 hr trail races. I've ran up to 50 miles a week, a couple half marys, and a 30k, and none of my toenails remotely came close to being black or falling off.

#2 (ruin knee) will happen if you don't strength train and stretch. Ask me how I know.
  • DublinDanny
    Options
    9. You might gain weight instead of lose weight while training for a marathon.

Yeah, 4 days out from my first marathon and I've been 'tapering off' my running, but also baking Chocolate brownies ffs!!!
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    #6 for me....I am in such a love hate relationship with running.