Options

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Honey is worse .. because fructose.

*headscratch*

What?

A little thing to amuse me .. Honey and HFCS have approximately the same composition, in terms of the sugars. And I'm pretty sure that it's been established that HFCS will rape you in the night and make you fat.

Edit: How did I get it wrong 2x?
  • tallmansix
    Options
    Yes, honey is definitely better for spreading on bread or toast. Sugar has a much lower retention index. It tends to roll off the bread and doesn't spread as evenly.

Also honey leaves a substantial residue on the knife / spoon or whatever you are using so it save calories that way, along with the amounts that are lost between the honey container and the destination food - sticky jar syndrome.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Manuka honey kicks sugar's *kitten*.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    yes, honey is better than sugar.

wait, what..how do you figure that one...?

honey has..wait for it now..sugar in it....!

It tastes better. But it's a PITA to clean up.

o.O.O.o.O.........

Where are you putting it?!

:wink:
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Honey is better than granulated sugar because it tastes sooooo gooood with Greek yogurt
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Its obviously preference of taste. Sugar and Honey are close to one and the same. One comes from a sugar cane and the other comes from bees. So choose what you enjoy tasting better and stick with it :). I have yet to like honey at all. The clover taste gets to me and makes my throat itchy. SO I would guess I am allergic lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    They are both high on the GI scale (if you are worried about insulin levels) How about Stevia? It is like 400 x sweeter, and you need a lot less, and no problems with insulin.

I thought Stevia spiked your insulin actually. But yes if you like the taste it's definitely an option. I need to buy some actually...
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Honey or sugar no matter. However, if you like honey use Buckwheat honey. There is a higher vitamin, and mineral content in it including polyphenols (same antioxidant found in red wine, green tea) has some well know health benefits.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Its obviously preference of taste. Sugar and Honey are close to one and the same. One comes from a sugar cane and the other comes from bees. So choose what you enjoy tasting better and stick with it :). I have yet to like honey at all. The clover taste gets to me and makes my throat itchy. SO I would guess I am allergic lol
    Try buckwheat honey. Dark and delicious. Meadowfoam had to be the nicest although orange blossom is great too...
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    yes, honey is better than sugar.

wait, what..how do you figure that one...?

honey has..wait for it now..sugar in it....!

It tastes better. But it's a PITA to clean up.

squeezey honey! :glasses: :glasses:
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    haven't eaten oatmeal, sugar or honey in so long as it is, can't figure this out. how do you eat this many carbs and lose weight? you're blessed.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Try some agave nectar, you hardly need any to sweeten oatmeal (not saying its better than honey but another option and comes in different flavors)

to answer your question I'd always go with honey personally
  • sugarkissprincess
    sugarkissprincess Posts: 2,595 Member
    Options
    I prefer Honey over Sugar :)
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    I actually just read an article in this month's Cooking Light magazine (not the most scientific source, but a source none-the-less), on honey, white sugar, brown sugar and raw sugar. It said that there really isn't a difference nutritionally, it's all a matter of taste.

The reason there isn't a nutritional difference is becuase it's all sugar.......
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    They are both high on the GI scale (if you are worried about insulin levels) How about Stevia? It is like 400 x sweeter, and you need a lot less, and no problems with insulin.

I thought Stevia spiked your insulin actually. But yes if you like the taste it's definitely an option. I need to buy some actually...

No it does not that is why it is a recommended sweetener for diabetics. it does not impact insulin levels vs. other sweeteners.

Coconut palm sugar is another natural sweetener that is much lower on the GI scale, and can be used (esp. for baking) it is a 1:1 ratio replacement for sugar in baking recipes. However, I will say it is much lighter on the sweetness scale.
    Still acceptable in baked goods. :happy:
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I like honey whipped with cinnamon the best..

switch to that.. you'll never look back..
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    Hi guys.
    I eat a looooot of oatmeal(sometimes twice a day haha), and I do like my oatmeal really sweet. I don't have any other unnatural sugar on a normal day, so I've always just accepted that I can have those tbsp of sugar with my oatmeal. I wanna try to cut down on the sugar, and I was thinking of using honey instead, but the question is - is it healthier than sugar? the kcals are pretty much the same, but will i get better nutrition from honey than the brown sugar i eat?

Wait.... what do you mean unnatural?
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Yes, honey is definitely better for spreading on bread or toast. Sugar has a much lower retention index. It tends to roll off the bread and doesn't spread as evenly.

Also honey leaves a substantial residue on the knife / spoon or whatever you are using so it save calories that way, along with the amounts that are lost between the honey container and the destination food - sticky jar syndrome.
    :laugh: :love:
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Flavor-wise, I think honey is better ... There are a bunch of different ones, with slightly different flavor profiles and (perceived) levels of sweetness ... blueberry blossom honey, tupelo, orange blossom, raspberry, clover, wildflower, star thistle, clover, etc. ... Think outside of the "little bear" ...
  • YumemiruJin
    YumemiruJin Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I say honey is better, solely because it's naturally produced. Plus, if you can find raw honey from your region, eating a little year round will actually help you build up resistances to pollen allergies (if you have them). In the spring and summer you have a higher chance of suffering LESS because you're continually ingesting the pollen in small increments and building up a tolerance :)