Why is there so much home schooling?

Options
I have been really surprised by how many Moms are homeschooling in the U.S. . It adds the job of being a school teacher to being a Mom. All Moms and Dads are teachers.

I have noticed many bloggers cite being a Christian as their reason for homeschooling. Are there any non Christian based homeschoolers out there?

Is public school that bad now? I have heard they cut lots of music and p.e programs. I have often thought that the most difficult lesson I learned in school was dealing with other people. If one masters that skill then in life you really "have it made". You may say you learn to master yourself.

School was a place I learned so much, basics was only one thing. One needs a lot of coping skills to get along in the world. Being thrown in with a group of peers is a great way to learn those things.

So why all the homeschooling? Is this a fad? Is this the way of the future? What do the teachers think of this? I`d love to hear what you think?

Replies

• mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    If I had the patience to homeschool my kids, I totally would. As long as you make sure they are still socialized, it would be so much better. You don't have to worry about keeping your kid motivated when they have to learn at the same relative pace as twenty other kids, they can learn as slowly or quickly as it is upon themselves. My son's "recess" consists of walking in a circle in the school yard, it's a JOKE. I just don't think I have it in me to homeschool and never EVER get a break from them lol
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    1. Yes, there are many "secular" homeschoolers. There are also Christian homeschoolers who chose homeschooling for non-religious reasons.

2. Not all public schools are "that bad". Some of us just feel that homeschooling is "that good".

3. Socialization is a red herring. Spending time with family, friends, neighbors, and community members offers ample practice at coping skills and self mastery.

It seems to be a trend, but I wouldn't call it a fad as it has always existed (children educated in their home by parents or somebody chosen by them). And I hope it isn't "the way of the future" because parents need choices. Not everybody can or should homeschool.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have a list of my pros and cons for homeschooling on my fridge, mostly for when my mother in law comes over and starts talking her nonsense about homeschooling :smile:

A few reasons of mine: Common Core, state standards, standardized testing, etc. We are Christian and it does play a part for us. I don't think it's a trend. And I didn't realize how many homeschoolers there actually were in my small area until I went to a convention last year.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    1. Yes, there are many "secular" homeschoolers. There are also Christian homeschoolers who chose homeschooling for non-religious reasons.

2. Not all public schools are "that bad". Some of us just feel that homeschooling is "that good".

3. Socialization is a red herring. Spending time with family, friends, neighbors, and community members offers ample practice at coping skills and self mastery.

It seems to be a trend, but I wouldn't call it a fad as it has always existed (children educated in their home by parents or somebody chosen by them). And I hope it isn't "the way of the future" because parents need choices. Not everybody can or should homeschool.
    Brilliantly said!
    I second ALL of this.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

very much agree!

children are not identical in the way they learn. but the pulic school system only has the resources to teach one way and hope the slow ones get it faster and the fast ones can wait a bit for others to catch up.

Homeschooling allows flexability in learning styles and subject matter. It also allows for interactions with people of many different ages and backgrounds. your not just socialized with your peer group, but most homeschool parents make sure their kids get socialization everywhere.

My daughter has a very high IQ but is bipolar, was dx at age 5. She tried public schools and private school thru 3rd grade. Neither was able to keep up with her, and both wanted to keep her with her peer group instead of putting her in the grade she was best able to learn. So we started homeschooling. She's found so many outside interests. She was strictly homeschooled thru 8th grade, and is now in a distance high school, in honors and AP classes with a 4.0 GPA. She does 4H, volunteering, interns at the local library, does door-to-door volunteer work, helps out at the local homeschool group for kids in the elementary grades, helps work around our farm, has taught herself to sew and design clothes and is on her way to publishing her first book of poetry.

If she was going to school for 6+ hours a day, waiting for others in her peer group to learn waht she already knew, then expected to finish a few hours of homework a night, she wouldnt be able to accomplish all she is now, nor would her quality of life be as good as it is. She loves talking to people, is comfortable around any/all age groups and loves public speaking.

Homeschooling isnt for everyone. Its a serious investment of time, energy and sometimes money. You have to make sure you child is learning what they need to know, the 3 R's, how to socialize and connect with others and how to keep their interest and love of learning alive. Its a choice im thankful people have. Its not the only option, and for many not the best option.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    If I was in the US, I would homeschool my kid. I would not want my kid being shot up by some psychotic person while getting a mediocre education.

I am Canadian though.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of bad stuff promoted and accepted at schools now - you don't need to be a Christian to want to keep your kids away from it - but you have to pay the price. I did it for 6 months...then too hard, another family member got sick. School should be the 3 Rs but it is really social engineering out here in California...don't know about other places.....
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    The new "trend" of bullying is having a lot to do with it. Plus, school shootings aren't exactly helping matters.

As for the socializing aspect, if you have art museums, local parks, craft stores and shops, etc, check into their homeschooling programs. In my area, we have a TON of places that have certain days where homeschooled children come in for socializing, and also for arts, crafts, gyms, etc. Like a local YMCA has weekly swimming classes for home schooled children only. And what's great is that parents can mark that down as their PE for their requirements.

Plus, I know the school district I live in allows home schooled students to join the music programs (band), and sports, but they still need to follow academic criteria to be allowed to participate.

I'm sure it varies from state to state, but my husband and I have seriously talked about it when we have kids.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    If I was in the US, I would homeschool my kid. I would not want my kid being shot up by some psychotic person while getting a mediocre education.

I am Canadian though.
    Because every school in the US has horrible teachers and gun toting criminals. Seriously???
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

I am Canadian though.

Yeah.. ok. :yawn:
  • juniperfox
    juniperfox Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The percentage of home-schooled students across the United States is only about 4% of the total student population.

Lots of speculation going on in this thread, I see.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    We are Christian homeschoolers who choose home schooling for non-religious reasons.
    My bother was homeschooled 3 years, I was homeschooled half of fifth grade. I hated it and never had any intention of homeschooling, but public school just was not a good fit for my boys.

My older two are in college and I just have the 17 yr old that is homeschooled now. We are actually sort of unschoolers, I guess. (No curriculum, to tests, all child-interest led)

And for the record, I do not have some huge magical amount of patience. In fact part of the reason for homeschool was I did not have the patience to deal with public schooling.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have four grandchildren state another who are home schooled by my daughter. Her reasons, while we are a religious family, are for non religious reasons. She simply wants to be able to educate the kids with her moral values. Many schools have assumed roles to influence children with a low standard of morals which, to her, is completely unacceptable.

My wife is a Middle School teacher and has no concerns for home schooling where the parent is capable and actually does the job they have taken on.
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    I homeschooled. My son is 22 and in college now. Whew glad thats over!! What a job!! As for the reason: yes, I'm a Christian, but the reason I home-schooled was the teachers just didnt know how to teach children with ADHD. My son said it perfectly as a little boy. "Mommy, the teacher tells us what to do, but then she just wont stop talking,and I forget what she said in the first place." he was crying, I was fed up. He couldnt take the ADHD meds on the market...realllly bad side effects.

Turns out home-schooling was the absolute best thing I could have ever done for Him. As a single mother, it was also the hardest thing too. But he is one incredible young man, and over time and effort, learned how to control his severe ADHD. Whew!
  • nettasue35
    nettasue35 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I home schooled my son for two reasons. He had migraine headaches that cause him to miss a lot of school. The school district said that I need to have him tested for add. the doctor that tested him said he was not add and did not need to be on medication. the school said he could not come back to school without it. when I went to check him out the vice principal said that they had done a IQ test and he scored at the end of 5th grade.( he was in second) that he needed medication to bring him to the level of the rest of the class.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I am an atheist and I have a LOT of atheist home schooling friends. Not every kid is well-suited for a classroom environment. There is also a lot of concern amongst parents that our educational system these days does not share the same goals for children that many parents have. Funding has been so drastically cut, and decisions about how and what to teach have been so politicized, that the ability of teachers in this country to actually do their job of teaching children is greatly compromised. I tried public school, charter school, and private school for my son. He did not thrive in any of those environments. I really, really wish I'd been in a position to homeschool him- I think we both would have been much happier, and I suspect he would be much further along in figuring out what he wants to do with his life and how to get there.

We need a public school system, but it's got to do a better job than our current one. Until it does, those who can choose another route often will.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options

I am Canadian though.

Yeah.. ok. :yawn:

I am Canadian and I will be raising my kids in the US. This is a legitimate concern of mine.
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Living in Texas, homeschooling is better for lots of kids, mine included.
    My twin daughter's attended public school in Arizona until we moved to Texas. We tried public school until 9th grade and chose to home-school them because they are both gifted and the education system in Texas is severely lacking. The school district admitted that they could not challenge my girls so I withdrew them.
    Both of them graduated high school at the age of 16 and began college immediately. Aside from being the youngest on campus, they both made friends and enjoyed their college experience.
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    As for "socialization and intro to the world 101" Home-schooling is the BEGINNING of all that, but you will never grasp it, until you do it. :)
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    The reasons for homeschooling are just about as varied as the homeschoolers themselves. I have seen very religious and very nonreligious homeschoolers and lots in the middle of that. We homeschool for a variety of reasons, but one of the most important ones is their character. Children need lots of guidance and help in how to correctly respond to situations. The best teacher in the world can not (and it isn't their job) take time to deal with each attitude and improper response. As the mom, I make time to deal with it.

The socialization thing is a joke! It seems to be the buzz word for anyone who is skeptical of homeschooling. My children are out and about in real life with a loving adult to help guide them in their actions and responses to others. We go to museums, parks, zoos, science centers, stores, post office, library, church, etc. They interact with all types of people (age, race, income, intellect). I take the time to teach them how to respond, how to be polite, how to solve conflicts, and even how to respectfully disagree with someone.

P.S. The education part works well too. :wink: