Coffee as water intake?

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I eat steak and log it as chicken. Sure, why not.
    Crazy talk... I log my steak as water. I think there's some in there.

I like the way you think! You can also count a veggie in the steak count as they do eat veggies and you are what you eat!!

Not giving up my coffee no matter how many links are provided telling me I should!! It's my one vice and I'm not ready to give it up!! :drinker:

And oh yeah...........I count my water - as water!! Crazy, I know!!! :tongue:

Erm...this thread is not even about whether or not you should drink coffee. It was about whether you can or do log it as part of your water intake. Which you can if you chose to. The diuretic effects are so mild, as to not impact your total hydration.

Also, coffee is full of potassium and antioxidants. I log it for the potassium.
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Separately.
  • rsalty
    rsalty Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else track coffee (black, no sugar) as water intake? Or do most people track it separately?

I log coffee as coffee - 40oz per day has measurable nutritive value. But I don't track water: I generally consume less of whatever I log, and MFP is not set up for accurate water intake tracking. For example, there's a fair bit of water in gazpacho, watermelon, or iced tea, but that water doesn't show up as part of the nutrient profile for any of them,
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    The only reason I don't log coffee as water is because I don't log coffee or water.

Coffee is hot water with added bean. There is basically no diuretic effect of caffeine until you start getting way up there in consumption. Still, the NET RESULT of drinking coffee is hydration.

I feel like MFP should track "hydration" from all the food/beverage items instead of an arbitrary number of cups of plain water you're "supposed to have."
  • xmysterix
    xmysterix Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I just think it's cute that people (and I mean every site I've visited, not just people here!) with full fridges and running tap water think they, on an average day (unless ill), genuinely run a risk of becoming dehydrated. Bottled water marketing groups sure did a good job in the last 20 years!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I track my coffee as water, but I also count the splenda I put in it, along with the creamer and heavy cream as calories because they are and I measure them for that.
  • ImRemko
    ImRemko Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just think it's cute that people (and I mean every site I've visited, not just people here!) with full fridges and running tap water think they, on an average day (unless ill), genuinely run a risk of becoming dehydrated. Bottled water marketing groups sure did a good job in the last 20 years!
    I think it's cute that you think that having easy access to water(-based products) automatically means people consume them.
  • xmysterix
    xmysterix Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I think it's cute that you think that having easy access to water(-based products) automatically means people consume them.
    If people aren't getting indicators of thirst when they're thirsty, or are consciously ignoring thirst, they have bigger problems than coffee vs water. I see the "drink like you're in the desert" mentality as being tied to our (developed world) aversion to rumbling stomachs. Thirst and hunger are good things that tell us when it's necessary to drink or eat something.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    coffee is a bit of a diuretic, everyone is wrong for talking in absolutes on both sides of the argument.
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of opinions here but the only one backing it up with scientific studies are the people saying coffee is not a diuretic. Nuf said.
  • mmipanda
    Options
    what I've read says that regular drinkers get used to it, which is not the same as saying that there is no diuretic effect at all. finding something on google that supports your opinion =/= science
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    what I've read says that regular drinkers get used to it, which is not the same as saying that there is no diuretic effect at all. finding something on google that supports your opinion =/= science

Mayo clinic is not exactly 'something on google' -- it's a pretty reputable source of medical information.

What they have said is that the diuretic effect is minimal AND regular drinkers get used to it. They didn't say there was none.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Scientific peer reviewed published studies from Medline are hardly your run of the mill 'Google' results.

You didn't read the thread very closely before you commented. That's OK, I'm glad to point you back to my posts in this thread where you can find the actual evidence that coffee is a negligible diuretic.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Why log water at all? People's needs are so individual that logging to meet some quota is pointless. Does the person live in a hot humid climate, or in a cold dry climate? Does the person engage in a lot of manual labor, or are they sedentary. Male or female? 6' 4" and 260 lbs, or 5' 1" 115 lbs.

So long as you are adequately hydrated, more water is not better. Just drink enough to keep your pee a pale yellow and you'll be fine.

(And your body does not discriminate between straight water, water contained in fruit, water in soft drinks, water in coffee, water in milk, etc. It's all water to you metabolism.)
  • mmipanda
    Options

Scientific peer reviewed published studies from Medline are hardly your run of the mill 'Google' results.

You didn't read the thread very closely before you commented. That's OK, I'm glad to point you back to my posts in this thread where you can find the actual evidence that coffee is a negligible diuretic.

actually i was responding to the person who said "There are a lot of opinions here but the only one backing it up with scientific studies are the people saying coffee is not a diuretic. Nuf said. "

so obviously this person is getting the message wrong. yes? yes.
  • ImRemko
    ImRemko Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If people aren't getting indicators of thirst when they're thirsty, or are consciously ignoring thirst, they have bigger problems than coffee vs water. I see the "drink like you're in the desert" mentality as being tied to our (developed world) aversion to rumbling stomachs. Thirst and hunger are good things that tell us when it's necessary to drink or eat something.
    Thirst and hunger are signs of our body telling us to get out of our extreme deficits. Just because you're not thirsty, doesn't mean you can't be dehydrated. While some dehydration won't ring your body's alarm bells, it doesn't mean you shouldn't optimally hydrate.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I dont track my water ever.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    13218d1372990628-ford-focus-st-vs-subaru-wrx-32238-beating-dead-horse.gif

:laugh: Thanks for the giggle!
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I don't track my beverages; they are all zero calorie. I have a good habit of drink plenty of water (about a gallon per day, not including coffee/tea) and I drink coffee & tea in moderation so they are not a problem.

Agree with this. Since starting this, after hearing someone say "don't drink your calories", I have not consumed any drink with a single calorie.